FishDuck Article

The Oregon Ducks Offense: The Bunch Toss

Coach Boles gives us a great new play in the Dillingham offense to watch out for...

FISHDUCK.COM

The sky is falling! At least that's what you'll hear in the days leading up to the Oregon Ducks' matchup with the Eastern Washington Eagles.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Sometimes it's in our failures we learn the secrets for success.  

If Dan Lanning and Kenny Dillingham are half as bright as we hear they are, they'll learn from this game a lot.  Who knows, maybe the way this game came off will prove to be one of the real keys to success for the Ducks going forward.

There's only two viable options: either the Ducks get better - or they get worse.  I'm betting on the former.

Edited by Mic
correction
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, Mic said:

Sometimes it's in our failures we learn the secrets for success.  

If Dan Lanning and Kenny Dillingham are half as bright as we hear they are, they'll learn from this game a lot.  Who knows, maybe the way this game came off will prove to be one of the real keys to success for the Ducks going forward.

There's only two viable options: either the Ducks get better - or they get worse.  I'm betting on the former.

I’m right there with you. I honestly believe that had it been the second game of the season, the Ducks would have looked better. I won’t say they would have won, but I’m not convinced they would have looked as out of sorts. 

A game before Georgia would have gone a long way in working out some of the kinks of having new systems. Unfortunately, Georgia served as that game.

Edited by Coach Eric Boles
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Eric for the analysis!  Good teaching.

I'm sure there are complimentary plays to this base play.  RB pass to backside WR getting behind an aggressive safety for example.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Third and 8, the Ducks RUN for a first down against GEORGIA. 

Loved it!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I like how Dollars is reading his blocks

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

It would appear that Salu has a little better feet than I gave him credit for?  Good for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/8/2022 at 10:22 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It would appear that Salu has a little better feet than I gave him credit for?  Good for him.

He didn't get beat by the edge rush like he did in the spring - he did have two false starts. 

Sala is a better run blocker than pass - run blocking is the strength of the OL. I'd like to pick a back to feature and get him at least 10 carries in the first half, so he gets in a groove. I don't think I'm liking Dillys RB by committee he is known for. 

Bucky Irving was the RB that started the game and I think that's because Dilly likes his run-pass ability. I'm pro running Carwell down team's throat as I feel he is our 100 yards a game guy each week if he gets the touches.

• Thumbs Up 3

I gotta say, I’m not too worried about the Ducks offense.  They are going to be fine.  Actually, I think much better than fine.  Just looking at the first half, the score is a bit misleading as far as Oregon’s offense is concerned.  

Let’s just presumably say that they were up against one of the best defenses in the nation.  I’ll say that bc I’m a big GA fan and honestly that’s what I want to believe.  Also, the GA defensive talent is ridiculous.  On point though, Oregon’s offense was not dominated by this defense.  They moved the ball very well every drive in the first half.  They didn’t get in unmanageable downs, they were consistently effective.  A few key mistakes here and there or a very good play by the defense is really all that stopped them in the first half.  

Yes, Bo made one terrible pass that was picked.  But his first pick was a good pass, it was just a very unexpected and unfortunate play made by the freshman Starks.  I mean he is a true freshman, of coarse Bo should test him.  It was a good pass.  

I’m not saying Oregon could have won this game.  I am saying that if a few plays here or there had gone their way, the score could have looked much different at halftime.  I can’t speak to the second half so much.  I stopped paying attention closely after the first drive of the 3rd quarter. I have it recorded and will peruse it at some point.

The Ducks offense was competitive with GA’s defense.  Many will say different, but if you just look at the first half, when GA was primarily playing their starters, if you understand football even a little then you know Oregon’s offense has loads of potential.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:11 PM, DazeNconfused said:

He didn't get beat by the edge rush like he did in the spring - he did have two false starts. 

Sala is a better run blocker than pass - run blocking is the strength of the OL. I'd like to pick a back to feature and get him at least 10 carries in the first half, so he gets in a groove. I don't think I'm liking Dillys RB by committee he is known for. 

Bucky Irving was the RB that started the game and I think that's because Dilly likes his run-pass ability. I'm pro running Carwell down team's throat as I feel he is our 100 yards a game guy each week if he gets the touches.

I can only think of one time he got beat in the game too. Overall, the offensive line played pretty well. No sacks and no hurries is pretty impressive. Just have to finish those drives. 

Looking back on the game, I can now understand why DL left his starters in on offense in the 4th quarter.  He knows his players' understanding of the new schemes is rough at this stage, so he might as well leave them in for game time reps.  Not the ideal circumstance but necessary to get at least some kind of benefit out of a really bad situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 11:11 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I think it was Bucky that let the ball slip between his hands during the first series. But I think Bo could have thrown it a bit better.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:09 PM, nw777b said:

But I think Bo could have thrown it a bit better.

I will politely disagree; the second one hit him in the hands, thrown at his numbers.  The first was tough, but should have been caught.  Anything in the reachable radius of a receiver should be caught, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, nw777b said:

I think it was Bucky that let the ball slip between his hands during the first series. But I think Bo could have thrown it a bit better.

First off both should have been caught. that being said QBs do need to make it as easy as possible as it is very hard to catch a 100 mph fast ball from 10 yards away. Brown was actually quite good at throwing to RBs with just the right amount of loft and speed. 

• Thumbs Up 1