Mic

What to Expect Saturday vs EWU

Short answer: a good test of our defense.

Justin Phillips, in his very good article posted recently gives us a pretty good idea of what EWU could bring to the table Saturday evening;  a prolific passing game (over 5000 yards) and respectable running game (with a 1000 yd rusher).  

Additionally, they are currently ranked #13, albeit in the FCS.  While most fans want to see our Offense get off the blocks, I'll be watching to see how Lupoi's Defense, especially our defensive backs, respond to a QB who can both run the ball and pass like crazy.  It'll be a challenge, guys.  What do you think? 

AUTZENZOO.COM

Looking at the odds, matchups, and predictions for Oregon vs Eastern Washington in Week 2 college football action. In past seasons, games against FCS teams...

I'm not too concerned about the offense.

The Ducks showed they can move the ball. It should only get better. Not too many penalties, either.

EWU offensive highlights from last week looked pretty good. Their QB can sling it. Oregon should keep the pressure on him.

On 9/8/2022 at 6:53 AM, nw777b said:

EWU offensive highlights from last week looked pretty good. Their QB can sling it. Oregon should keep the pressure on him.

They'll test our young backfield, that's for sure.  We will need to see a pash rush get untracked too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ll be watching to see if our players are ready to play. 

It was obvious that we weren’t last Saturday. Our players seemed overwhelmed by the situation last week and seemed very slow and confused on both sides of the ball.

It’s clear Bo didn’t play well but without his leadership at the line of scrimmage this lopsided affair would have been worse. He spent most of his time trying to line up his skill players instead of concentrating on what the defense was doing. Not a good look for sure.

I expect our defense to be ready at the snap of the ball instead of starring at the sidelines for a defensive play set. Reminded me of what was going on last season at the end. They looked Dazed and Confused.

I’m sure the Ducks will have no problem with EWU because of the huge talent gap. If we don’t win this game by the end of the first half then we are in for a long and disappointing  season.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to see our Defensive front seven get pressure on the Quarterback. There were quite a few plays last week where they were getting close to the Georgia QB and if they just had a little more time they would have got him. So also looking for the back end of the defense to hold up a bit longer. 

I would love to see the secondary maintain coverage for a long enough period of time that the quarterback actually feels pressure. 

This has been a problem since last year for Oregon's defense and I really want to see it corrected. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

What I want to see is two things. Our total defensive rating to never be at #122 again under Dan Lanning. We should be a top 40 defense by the end of the year or better.

The other, related thing, is yds. per play. Giving up over 9 yds per play should also be an insult to everyone who puts on an Oregon uniform. Never again, and the defense needs to tighten up starting this weekend.

Dan Landing is a defensive coach, and it is time to see a new start of the Oregon defense we expect. The talent is there, and this is an FCS opponent.

• Applause 1

On 9/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Haywarduck said:

Dan Landing is a defensive coach, and it is time to see a new start of the Oregon defense we expect. The talent is there, and this is an FCS opponent.

I can't agree stronger with your sentiments, Haywardduck.  But remember, Dan Lanning is now the Head Coach.  

It's time for Defensive Coordinator Tosh Lupoi to prove his worth in gaining Lanning's respect and his selection to that important position.  I'm not dumping on Lupoi - tho I'm not a fan of his - but I am acknowledging his critical role in how our defense performs on the field.

Lupoi has a golden opportunity Saturday to gets the Ducks back on track defensively.  He does have talent at his disposal.  Now show fans why Lanning thinks you're the man for this role.

Go Oregon!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1