FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: Georgia Loss Won’t Define Lanning, Ducks

For those still reeling from the Oregon Ducks’ 49-3 loss in Week 1 to the Georgia Bulldogs, let’s take a walk down memory lane. The anticipation amongst Oregon fans heading into the 2009-10 football season was off the charts. Mike Bellotti’s successor, offensive wunderkind Chip Kelly, was set to debut his unabridged offense in Oregon’s season opener at then No. ...

FISHDUCK.COM

For those still reeling from the Oregon Ducks' 49-3 loss in Week 1 to the Georgia Bulldogs, let's take a walk down memory lane. The...

• Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Jordan, you are spot on that the Georgia loss will not define Coach Lanning and this Ducks team. Afterall, the Georgia game was just one loss. Its called the 2022 season for a reason. The team and season will be defined by how improvements and adjustments are made. Or not made!

Some passionate fans were feeling the season was lost. Others were optimistic that the coaches and players would fix it and improve. One of the PAC12 Network announcers echoed what many OBDF members had felt. When the Duck team got on the plane to Atlanta, then the buses to the hotel, met for meals, on the bus to the stadium, then out that tunnel, well it was their first game day experience together. Their first........

Their first chance to implement a new system (both O and D) under a first time HC and staff. The Dawgs were starting season 6 of Kirby's system and game day procedures. Their 68th plus time, not their first.

Hats off to improvement from week one to week two by both the staff and players. 

The defense overcoming missed tackles and pursuit: The tackling was crisp, wrapping up the ball carrier solid with multiple players in hot pursuit. DL said it was a priority in practice and it showed on the field. Thats coaching and player developement. Well done D.......

Bo Nix and the offense: DL and Dilly game planned to utilize the skill set of the players. Those big boys up front can run block. The RB's hit the holes quickly and kept the O ahead of the chains. It was easier for Bo to command the O in 2nd and 3 as opposed to 3rd and 12. The run game opened up the passing routes and Bo delivered. Bo delivered. Yes his receivers bailed Bo out on a couple of throws. But thats just silly nitpicking and I wont throw any shade that way. Well done Bo and the Duck O.....

Coaching staff: Nice work in picking the players up off the Georgia turf and moving forward. We all know you will want more things to improve before the BYU game but well done. Coach Dilly nice job taking what EWU gave Bo and the offense. On a few Duck sites some fans were frustrated that no deep throws were being attempted. IMHO, its up to the opposing defense to stop the offense and its strengths. Throwing deep is not Bo's strength. So why call plays that stop yourself.

Looking forward to 2 back to back games against the twin Cougars. Both will be much tougher tests than EWU. Both games are winnable if we pound the rock to set up the pass. Both teams played very well yesterday. Both teams will have a difficult time stopping the Ducks running game. If they put 8 in the box Duck  receievers and TE's will be open on short and intermediate routes. 

GO DUCKS...........

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning will not be defined by Oregon's loss to Georgia certainly. 

But I do feel that Oregon's loss to Georgia will become a foundation for Lanning's culture because it becomes the why to Lanning's culture. The loss shows what happens if you don't fully buy in and the players really took that to heart. 

Eastern Washington isn't a bad FCS program by any means. I think everyone expected them to score at least twnety points and against our starters they only managed seven, and that came off of an explosive kick return and a targeting penalty to set them up. 

Oregon dominated that game, there wasn't a question as to whether Oregon was going to win but I don't think anyone expected Oregon to dominate the game as much as they did. 

The offense was calm and collected. Though I wish they wouldn't use those jet sweep like plays that seemed to always result in negative yards. 

The defense followed their assignments and the front seven got some incredible push and forced the QB to pass earlier than he would have liked which led to some errant throws. 

Special teams look better than the Cristobal era but I wouldn't call them special just yet. But how about Lewis actually kicking the ball into the end zone this year! Amazing what can happen when you actually coach special teams than just leave them on their own to practice, basically what I heard from the Cristobal era on special teams. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Football is all about rebounding off losses and building as the season progresses. CK barely beat Purdue at home after the loss to BSU. He then won the next game against Utah.

We need to win the next game against a team from Utah, and it won't be easy. The game after that might be the toughest, at WSU.

The big question is can the Ducks keep building, or as Dan Lanning likes to say, get 1% better everyday, every play? That is the question we all want to know! I am still excited about this team and Dan Lanning!

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Agreed Jordan, and if it defines the Lanning era, it might be in how the team responded. I like what I saw at times, but other times I felt our offensive line missed more blocks than I would have liked going against a FCS team.  But the vast majority of us saw a 20-24 point victory, not a 56 point spread.  Thus they stepped forward in a great way.  But I think a question does remain...

FISHDUCK.COM

Right now Oregon fans are almost swooning in a classic "honeymoon" phase with new head coach Dan Lanning before any games are played. To a degree...

Mr. FishDuck