Charles Fischer

Biggest "SLEEPER" of the 2021 Recruiting Class?

There are some good candidates to choose from among them here, and there are only five out of 23 that are 3-Star players and one of them is my pick, Brandon Buckner.  He is not the "right" sized, but he is a ferocious pass-rusher.

DT Roundtable: Oregon's biggest sleeper in the 2021 class by 247Sports 

Image result for Brandon Bucknew Oregon twitter

Mr. FishDuck

Where is our Scooby? Of course, Scooby Wright was a 2-star for Arizona, and we're talking 3-star's here, how about LB, Jonathan Flowe?

Dane Sipo, a small town walk-on who always dreamed of being a Duck. The impact of these walk-ons is invaluable. No stars, no scholarship, no fanfare, but he has what every player needs, a dream, and the passion to make that dream come true. A sleeper in the true sense of the word, nobody believes in this kid more than he does.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's all heart my friends. 

Buckner is the clear cut choice. Not a lot of sleepers in a class with 19 4-stars. Buckner was both a USA Today and MaxPreps All-American. His productivity is second to none. Dad played a dozen years in the NFL and had been the DL coach for a few franchises. Brandon won DL MVP honors at The Opening regional. Best player on the best team in Arizona. That’s a 4-star resume. 

But, he’s 6’1” 230 and plays DE. I don’t know what his athleticism level is, but it must not be great if there are questions about him playing OLB. There have been successful DE with similar measurements: Dwight Freeney was amazing. As was Nick Reed for us. But in a modern 3-4 that size is less than ideal. I’ll be the first to admit that the biggest factors in football success are things that can be quantified, like size and speed. 

I think Buckner is just too productive to not make a difference. It might be too much of a reach to say he has star potential, but maybe he can reach Kenny Rowe levels. Rowe had 16 TFL and 7 sacks his senior year. If Buckner can deliver even half that its a major coup for the lowest rated guy in the class. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Buckner. Hell yes