Mic

Wazoo Defense Showed Speed

That's the fastest defense on the perimeter I can remember ever seeing WSU exhibit.  I was impressed.  Dickert has his team going in the right direction and it's going to be a battle to win these matchups in future seasons.  Thank God we have them in Autzen next time!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Wazzu played bigger than they are. Oregon played sloppy and unfocused. Wazzu views Oregon as a rival, Oregon views Cougs as anther game.

Oregon will get Trees best game also. Just the way it is at Oregon. Tree will fall. Just like the cougs.

• Go Ducks! 1

Oregons D Line and backers seem a tad slow. 

Obviously there are exceptions, but my impression was whenever possible Mario looked for bigger athletes, especially in the back 60% of a recruiting class - arguably the guys looked at a bit more to be developed a bit more.

DL seems to be looking a bit more for different traits for different positions. Long, lean, twitchy CBs, tall WRs, beefy DTs, maybe less emphasis on beef and more on feet on the OL (though this is a tough year for OL I understand so maybe not a year to draw too many conclusions), bigger yet still explosive RBs, and speedy athletic types as ends and LBs. Guys like Bassa, Conerly, Devon Jackson, Harrison Taggart, Florence and Tucker, Jordan James, Khamari Terrell, Kyler Kasper, Justice Lowe, Jurrion Dickey, Caleb Presley, Ashton Cozart, A'mauri Washington, Donte Dowdell (and a whole bunch of other guys!), seem to me to possibly suggest a subtle shift in some recruiting areas.

Through most of the Chip/MH era, Oregon usually had enough guys to produce nearly two pretty impressive 4 x 100 teams (based on actual reported track or timed camp numbers); and, another handful of guys who also had very solid numbers (some names that pop to mind: LaMichael James, Dior Mathis, DAT, Tacoi Sumler, Byron Marshall, Thomas Tyner, Devon Allen, Tony Brooks-James, Charles Nelson, Taj Griffin, Kirk Merritt).

Now, I don't know if it was completely accurate but (before the new group of recruits and transfers arrived) I read in more than one place 6-4 and 270 pound DJ Johnson was among the fasted guys on the squad. Certainly impressive if even partly true (as one would think at least a couple guys like Franklin and Hutson could challenge); but, I think in the coming years the staff is going to emphasize that aspect a bit more than the previous group.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:31 PM, Log Haulin said:

Wazzu played bigger than they are. Oregon played sloppy and unfocused. Wazzu views Oregon as a rival, Oregon views Cougs as anther game.

Oregon will get Trees best game also. Just the way it is at Oregon. Tree will fall. Just like the cougs.

Maybe Oregon's O-line began to wear them down in that last qtr. but I didn't really see that as much as I saw the Offense finally getting things going in the red zone.  Those 1st 4 visits inside the 10 yard line were almost the undoing of Oregon and those can't be repeated in future games.

Yes, they were super fast to the ball on the edges.  It honestly reminded me of Georgia speed a little bit.  I'm glad the Ducks started taking shots over the top, because

trying to outflank WSU was just not working. 

On 9/26/2022 at 9:36 AM, Mic said:

Maybe Oregon's O-line began to wear them down in that last qtr. but I didn't really see that as much as I saw the Offense finally getting things going in the red zone.  Those 1st 4 visits inside the 10 yard line were almost the undoing of Oregon and those can't be repeated in future games.

Yea, the play calling, imo, had more to do with it. Wazzu knew what we were doing before we did. 

Dilly needs to fix that. He is a green hat so I give him a little slack. If we see it v. Tree, fans aren't going to be happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes. Oregon hasn't had a ton of trouble to this point in the red zone heading into WSU. 

It somewhat natural to this point to suggest the OC is seeing things and making great calls all the time.

Another explanation is he has some things he likes in those spots and to this point has largely "guessed correctly".

My thought is WSU saw that and was prepared early in the game. 98% confidence first time play caller KD will catch on and be way better next time. He already did it with WSU loading the box and a flip to the TE later in the game. Totally owning the WSU smashes in the 1st half and making adjustments and generating a grand slam play call. It is natural to have confidence in what has succeed in prior spots. Adjustments and making plays is a sign of a real dude in that spot. KD deserves a credit!

Edited by AnotherOD