Mic

Is The Punting Game Becoming Obsolete?

Someone with a lot more research skills than myself can do the checking if they like but it seems to me that more college teams in America are disdaining the punting game and going for the 1st down on 4th downs.  It doesn't seem to matter what part of the field or what quarter in the game (Lanning & the Ducks are just one example, OSU today against Utah another).

Sadly for the Beavs, after making  a huge 1st down on a 4th & 6 in the 4th they gave up another (3rd) interception almost immediately after.  Utah just put the game away with the pick, but OSU was about to possibly tie the game until this happened.

Today's coaches don't want to give the ball away anymore, not with 40-60 points being scored by today's offenses.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/1/2022 at 1:33 PM, Mic said:

Someone with a lot more research skills than myself can do the checking if they like but it seems to me that more college teams in America are disdaining the punting game and going for the 1st down on 4th downs.  It doesn't seem to matter what part of the field or what quarter in the game (Lanning & the Ducks are just one example, OSU today against Utah another).

Sadly for the Beavs, after making  a huge 1st down on a 4th & 6 in the 4th they gave up another (3rd) interception almost immediately after.  Utah just put the game away with the pick, but OSU was about to possibly tie the game until this happened.

Today's coaches don't want to give the ball away anymore, not with 40-60 points being scored by today's offenses.

I does seem a few more 4th downs are being played on teams own side of the field.  Something to pay attention to. 

I feel punting is fine for now. There are times you need to punt... Basically being on your side of the field and a long fourth down. 

I think the kick return is under more threat of disappearing because it's the most dangerous part of football with players colliding at full speed. With so many touchbacks and now fair catches to start at the 25 fewer teams are even considering the risk of a return. 

The only real argument for keeping kick returns is the need to still have on side kicks. 

Punts still need to be an option for certain situations. 

Now having a good oubter can make a huge difference in those situations where a bad or mediocre punter doesn't help much.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:26 PM, David Marsh said:

I feel punting is fine for now. There are times you need to punt... Basically being on your side of the field and a long fourth down. 

I think the kick return is under more threat of disappearing because it's the most dangerous part of football with players colliding at full speed. With so many touchbacks and now fair catches to start at the 25 fewer teams are even considering the risk of a return. 

The only real argument for keeping kick returns is the need to still have on side kicks. 

Now having a good oubter can make a huge difference in those situations where a bad or mediocre punter doesn't help much.

Okie State just ran back 2nd half opening KO for 6. Put them up 3 scores to open the half v. Baylor 

On 10/1/2022 at 2:29 PM, Log Haulin said:

Okie State just ran back 2nd half opening KO for 6. Put them up 3 scores to open the half v. Baylor 

It's far from universal of kick off are irrelevant but it's a growing trend. If everything aligns they can still be incredible special teams plays. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/1/2022 at 1:33 PM, Mic said:

Probably got something to do with most defenses can’t stop most offenses any more. 

Ya better be scoring points if you want to be elite in today’s NCAA.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/1/2022 at 2:26 PM, David Marsh said:

There will still be times when the punt is crucial, but boy! It's really diminished from the game from just 5-10 years ago.  

More and more coaches are "going for it" on 4th down and many are getting so successful at it that I think it's more than just a trend.  Lanning himself went for one on his own 34 yard line in the 1st qtr recently (thankfully getting the 1st).

Just another indication that our old coach (Kelly) was perhaps a trend-setter when back at Oregon.  His concepts of what a collegiate Offense should be is continuing to change the game I think.  I'd really be curious to see how the total number of punts/game and number per/season has changed.

I can hardly remember a game recently where we haven't seen one or both teams disdain the punt and go for it.  It used to be so uncommon, but not anymore!

How many games has momentum changed with a muffed punt. Fielding a punt while keeping an eye on human torpedoes flying at you is not for the faint of heart.

Add some wind, rain, and +50,000 fans yelling from the stands and it can be a crucial play to successfully catch a well struck punt. 

My wife and I went to a civil war game at Corvallis years ago. It was pouring rain and the game was nearing the end with the Akili Smith led Ducks in the lead. OSU punted and the return man while running to field it mishandled it and kicked to the Beavs. A few plays later the Beavs tied it up and we lost in overtime.

Belotti should have had no one back there to handle that punt because 3 knees and the Ducks would have won. 

Just an example of what can happen in the punting game.

The worst part is the boatta  bag didn’t have any wine left in it cause we drank it thinking the game was over. Wettest I have ever been at a Duck game on the outside not the inside.

Edited by Just Ducky

On 10/1/2022 at 5:17 PM, Just Ducky said:

The worst part is the boatta  bag didn’t have any wine left in it cause we drank it thinking the game was over. Wettest I have ever been at a Duck game on the outside not the inside.

Punts have been crucial in more games than we could ever imagine - which is why I don't think it will entirely die - it can't.  But it certainly has diminished from what it once was.

I had a bota-bag once, back in my hippie-dippy days when glass just wasn't an option at concerts and the like.  I don't suppose they allow that sort of thing in Autzen anymore, do they?  Pity.

On 10/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, Mic said:

Punts have been crucial in more games than we could ever imagine - which is why I don't think it will entirely die - it can't.  But it certainly has diminished from what it once was.

I had a bota-bag once, back in my hippie-dippy days when glass just wasn't an option at concerts and the like.  I don't suppose they allow that sort of thing in Autzen anymore, do they?  Pity.

It was in Corvallis