Mic

Penalties a Serious Problem

First of all: congratulations to the Ducks for more-or-less handling the Stanford Cardinal last night.  Bo Nix looked terrific after a very slow start in the 1st qtr.

How many penalties did the Ducks end up with?  I lost count at 13 (and that's just the ones accepted)!  What's happened to this team - discipline wise?  There were too many false starts for one - and this was a Home game.  The rest were just crazy frequent.  Is the Head Coach to blame for this?  

They had better get it figured out this week. The Ducks haven’t won in Tucson since 2011 and they were blown out the last two times they played there. Note to Dan Lanning. Don’t wear black/gray uniform combo.

8115399D-79EE-4332-8EF3-8ED31EB04787.jpeg

5F535CBA-D39B-4DC7-A082-0009914ED4FC.webp

• Thumbs Up 1

Top photo shows the ugliest uniforms O has ever sported, imo.  

O should handle Arizona but at this stage I really don't know anymore.  Crazy talent on this team, lousy discipline and sometimes puzzlingly bad execution.  One gets a feeling this team is performing at about 75% of its capability.  Red zone offense is very worrisome. Maybe they'll play better away from home?

Yeah, very disappointing. I was shouting at my TV. And, no it wasn’t the refs. They made a couple mistakes but Oregon was just undisciplined and sloppy. Good thing this was not one of the good Stanford teams. We’ll lose a game this year due to penalties if this continues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:43 AM, Mic said:

First of all: congratulations to the Ducks for more-or-less handling the Stanford Cardinal last night.  Bo Nix looked terrific after a very slow start in the 1st qtr.

How many penalties did the Ducks end up with?  I lost count at 13 (and that's just the ones accepted)!  What's happened to this team - discipline wise?  There were too many false starts for one - and this was a Home game.  The rest were just crazy frequent.  Is the Head Coach to blame for this?  

The penalties were off the charts nuts. They've got to immediately fix this problem. The fact that they still stomped Stanford while getting 14 penalties for 135 yards, is pretty amazing. But this will be our demise against good teams if it continues.

Regarding Bo, obviously he looked amazing when running the ball. But several times his decisions when passing were like the old Bo with throws into coverage that did not make sense. At least two times we were very fortunate his passes did not result in a pick. 

Edited by Desert Duck

I remember an Ost team under Erickson that was penalty prone yet in the Fiesta Bowl curb stomped a highly overrated ND team.

Are excessive penalties good? No. But they can be overcome.

I'm not saying the Ducks will be fine, I'm just saying until penalties control the outcome in a loss it may not be that big of a deal. Right now they're getting away with it. Time will tell when they play better teams. The false starts are the biggest killers. 

It also seemed like as soon as they got in the red zone the penalties drive killers. 

On 10/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

It also seemed like as soon as they got in the red zone the penalties drive killers. 

It cost them at least one TD, the 1st one, when they had it overturned and had to kick the FG instead.  Just when I thought they might have ironed out the red zone wrinkles, the get 3 points instead of 7.