jrw

Are Penalties Really a Problem?

The Standford game was really sad from a penalty standpoint, but I went back to the box scores for all the games this season, and so far at least, the Stanford game is an outlier.

• Georgia 5 for 35 yards.
  • E. Washington 6 for 55 yards.
  • BYU 8 for 48 yards.
  • Washington St. 8 for 87 yards.
  • Stanford 14 for 135 yards.

Let's hope that the Tree was the low point for the season.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, to your question, penalties are a problem In this case they prevented a blow out, not a win, but that needs to get cleaned up. They didn't get hit for lining up offsides which is unforgiveable, but false starts and personal fouls ae unacceptable. 

A great run not only taken away, but the team loses yards are killers to an offense and to the defense if a stop is nullified by a flag, after a while huddles become uncomfortable. When a team wants to dominate a game, it can't be giving the opponent breaks with penalties. 

On 10/3/2022 at 5:09 PM, 30Duck said:

Yes, to your question, penalties are a problem In this case they prevented a blow out, not a win, but that needs to get cleaned up. They didn't get hit for lining up offsides which is unforgiveable, but false starts and personal fouls ae unacceptable. 

A great run not only taken away, but the team loses yards are killers to an offense and to the defense if a stop is nullified by a flag, after a while huddles become uncomfortable. When a team wants to dominate a game, it can't be giving the opponent breaks with penalties. 

I guess I should have said a chronic problem. So far, they're not, at least by the statistics, but we'll have to see how the season goes.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:23 PM, jrw said:

The Standford game was really sad from a penalty standpoint, but I went back to the box scores for all the games this season, and so far at least, the Stanford game is an outlier.

• BYU 8 for 48 yards.

We rate 115th out of 130 teams, not good. Throw the outlier outlier out and we still rank about 60th.

The other item is the trend isn't our friend 35 yds on up to 135 yds. I want to see the trend heading in the other direction and stay heading in that direction.

This was an area I wanted to see us as a top 20 program. I think it can impact a tight game when a team doesn't have the control it needs. In order for this team to keep winning this trend will have to change.

Penalties are a huge problem, always. Holding is a drive killer. PF put points on the board for your opponent.  False start is silly and unnecessary, especially when its 3rd and 3.

As for the Furd game, those refs should be suspended without pay, investigated and fired. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t like the penalties at all from a fan perspective, it really slows things down. 

What I do like is that each game there seems to be a glaring issue that they can work on.

They can focus on and eliminate the negative tendencies one by one.

Yes penalties are a problem.  Hopefully not chronic.  And yes, I absolutely have a problem with the horse collar call and the illegal man down field calls. As far as I remember the replay never showed a man lineman downfield, perhaps I missed it.

The false start calls were legit though, and many happened in the red zone.  I love the o-line, but they need to clean this up.  You can’t get behind the chains bc of penalties in the red zone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Averaging 4 penalties/game gets you into the top 10. By that measure Stanford is actually a top 10 team. It appears that averaging 5 gets you into the top 25. 

If the Ducks minimize pre-snap penalties they probably could be in the top 25. 

Penalties are definitely drive killers to an offense, and gives new life to the opposing team if we get called for interference, or holding, on defense.  However, I do believe that they will clean up some of the issues.

Edited by Drake

• BYU 8 for 48 yards.

5 -> 6 -> 8 -> 8 -> 14

I would call that a clear trend line in the wrong direction.  Some penalties are to be expected (man down the field on RPO) and to be honest the officials get about 4 of those in the Stanford game.  That still leaves about 8+ solid mental errors.  

• BYU 8 for 48 yards.

Not trending well. 😬