Pennsylvania Duck

Steve Greatwood Returns to Coaching...At Cal

Veteran Former Cal OL Coach Steve Greatwood Returns to Program

Greatwood coached with great success for decades at Oregon, with stints in between with the LA Rams,

USC and Maryland before coming to Cal from 2017 to 2019, retiring after Cal’s 8-5 Red Box Bowl winning season.

Justin Wilcox announced this morning that the program has brought in veteran offensive line coach Steve Greatwood

as an analyst as of Sunday to help shore up a struggling Cal offense and offensive line.

BEARINSIDER.COM

Former longtime Oregon and Cal OL coach has returned to the program as an analyst to help boost sagging offense and shore up struggling offensive line

I wish this had happened after we played there...

Greatwood Championship Productions.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Veteran Former Cal OL Coach Steve Greatwood Returns to Program

Greatwood coached with great success for decades at Oregon, with stints in between with the LA Rams,

USC and Maryland before coming to Cal from 2017 to 2019, retiring after Cal’s 8-5 Red Box Bowl winning season.

Justin Wilcox announced this morning that the program has brought in veteran offensive line coach Steve Greatwood

as an analyst as of Sunday to help shore up a struggling Cal offense and offensive line.

Imagine how O would do with this guy back in the fold doing his thing?  Or, at least assisting.  They're already very good!

On 10/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I wish this had happened after we played there...

Greatwood Championship Productions.jpg

Indeed. He has been a great line coach for years. He has helped many guys get to, and stay at the next level.

Plus, he never got many blue-chip studs either.

Yeah, couldn't have waited 2 more weeks???

• Haha 1

Here's a thought: what's the chances guys like Steve Greatwood start becoming 'roving analysts', hired-gun style, moving in and out of various programs to help bring teams up to speed and performance - then moving on to another?  

If this sounds crazy just remember, none of us foresaw the transfer portal like it is today, nor the coaching carousel like it is, not the NIL phenomena either. 

I think the problems at Cal aren't the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's. I suppose if there is a coach who can help shore up a talent deficit it is Greatwood.

One does have to wonder why a coach would want to continue with the grind of college football after making lots of money and dealing with all the difficulties for decades. I suppose the analyst position might be the sweet spot for a coach who wants to stay part of football. 

Looked through his twitter feed, maybe after vacations, and burning man he got an itch to be with the guys again?

I could see a wife giving the ok for a month of coaching, and away from all day football on the TV on the weekends.

6xhqh5.jpg