Tandaian

Bo Nix Better with Kenny Dillingham as QB Coach

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Is Bo Nix’s career year due to the reunion with Kenny Dillingham? We looked at his splits with and without the OC to try and find out.

In this week's Interview on Tuesday, Bo stated that, at Auburn, the play called was the play ran. What he loves about here is that there are 'Check-Downs'.

This supports my previous thesis that QB's can be hamstrung inside an offense and 'de-evolve'. 

Maybe, this is why I have such a sour taste in my mouth with Anthony Brown. His numbers weren't bad per se', but it just felt like something was wrong. Now, held in the NFL. You don't make it there without clearing some hurdles right?

I'm guessing Bo has always been the 5* but his coordinator made him below average. 

Is Kenny Dillingham better with Bo Nix?

It seems one of the key issues here is trust . .  . the players have to trust the coaches, and perhaps more importantly, the coaches have to trust the players, esp. the starting QB.  There has to be a point at which your starter has enough knowledge and experience to check into or out of a play.  If you don't ever have that much trust as a coach . . . what does that say about the player you recruited, or your ability to coach them up to their full potential?  Ultimately, you want your starting QB (and even your backup!) to be a "coach on the field".

• Thumbs Up 1

I might also add, Bo had an interception to TD ratio around 40%. If there were 5 td's in a game, then there was a probability of having 2 INT's. This year? 17td's to 3Int's. Thats less than 1/2 of his career at Auburn. Take out the UGA game that was a debacle by any stretch of the imagination, and its 1-INT verses 17TD's. Under 6% INT/TD ratio!!

That's inceedible!

I'm going with Bo was frustrated at Auburn and struggled so as to force issues. Also, he is much more mature. 

Go Bo!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Bo Nix's unforeseen revival at Oregon is proving doubters wrong, awakening Ducks' playoff hopes

This is a good article written by Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports touching on Bo's time at Auburn, the Dillingham coaching, and coming to Oregon.

"Last year, I was just kind of over it. Each week it was something else," Oregon's quarterback told CBS Sports this week.

"There was, quite frankly, nothing I could do about it. I just remember kind of being miserable. It wasn't fun anymore."

"Auburn is always intense," Dillingham added. "It's intense when you're winning because, when you're winning at a high level,

it's the year you need to win a natty. It's intense when you're losing because you shouldn't be losing. It's intense 24/7."

It's also a proper backdrop for The Bo Nix Reinvention Project. It's a good read below...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Making the most of his second chance, Nix has Oregon flying high

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/27/2022 at 2:31 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Bo Nix's unforeseen revival at Oregon is proving doubters wrong, awakening Ducks' playoff hopes

This is a good article written by Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports touching on Bo's time at Auburn, the Dillingham coaching, and coming to Oregon.

"Last year, I was just kind of over it. Each week it was something else," Oregon's quarterback told CBS Sports this week.

"There was, quite frankly, nothing I could do about it. I just remember kind of being miserable. It wasn't fun anymore."

"Auburn is always intense," Dillingham added. "It's intense when you're winning because, when you're winning at a high level,

it's the year you need to win a natty. It's intense when you're losing because you shouldn't be losing. It's intense 24/7."

It's also a proper backdrop for The Bo Nix Reinvention Project. It's a good read below...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Making the most of his second chance, Nix has Oregon flying high

I like this particular quote in the article:

"Yelling at Bo doesn't serve any purpose because he has already yelled at himself," Dillingham said. "He wants to know why. If something doesn't go right, don't yell at him. He's already pissed. Why didn't it go right?"

Shows everything you need to know about how Bo and Dillingham operate.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

What is interesting is the Ducks probably will be QB shopping in the portal again.

What looked like a << fairly big >> Duck rebuilding year in 2023 is looking possibly a bit better, that is with another hit on a portal QB (and Bo Nix is gonna absolutely be a huge advertisement to those  next 1-2 year QB guys).

An OL with: Conerly-Jones-Jackson/Powers-Harper-Jaramillo isn't quite looking so bad and Popo plus maybe Flowe/LaDuke/Brown and Manning and Florence seems like a roster that might be able to make some waves - with a solid or better QB transfer - and the returning playmakers at RB, WR, and TE. I'm interested to see where the young LB crew (Bassa, Brown, Jackson, Taggart, quite possibly Flowe - maybe even Sewell - are in another year).

It wasn't totally on the radar so much prior to this UCLA week, but I imagine Bo is gonna take his shot with the NFL, and QB (once again) maybe be that "roll the dice" sort of situation. I may be to be wrong but I just don't see (in today's college football environment) a top 10-ish program taking a huge rebuilding year risking the season on a kid at the QB spot that just hasn't shown a high likelihood of success in practice (and my quess is that is just where things are currently at). Good thing is Bo having this big year absolutely will attract attention for the highly sought after portal QBs.

Auburn fans have stated that Nix's OL and pass protection was garbage, when he played for the Tigers.  If DL thought Nix was the most athletic QB that he faced in the SEC, even with his dominant Georgia defense, that speaks volumes of Nix's potential.  Had he had better pass protection and a system that allowed him to play loose, call audibles, and flourish, who knows what kind of gaudy numbers that he could have put up.  Oh wait....he has been doing it this season as a Duck.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is sort of interesting. I've read a number of Auburn fans (some Georgia fans and some SEC fans) suggest Bo isn't really much different this year than before.

They suggest Bo always was good against the "weaker" competition, and all we are really seeing now is the same QB beating up on weak Pac-12 defenses.

It's not my thought, but it is out there.