Charles Fischer

Is ESPN Throwing the Pac-12 a Bone for "Goodwill" in Negotiations?

Something smells fishy here.

You know how it works with programming football games; the best games that could have the biggest audiences get on the biggest channel venues.  So when I saw that Oregon was playing not just the worst team in the conference, but maybe in all of college football--if there was ever a game to be stuck on the back-burner with the Pac-12 Network at 7:30 or 8:00 PM at night....this was the game.

But placed on ESPN at prime-time of 12:30?

This goes against everything we know, and while I want to delude myself into saying, "the Oregon Brand is back and everyone wants to watch it,"...I can't sell it even to myself.

Is ESPN trying to work their way back into the streaming negotiations by throwing the conference, and in particular the Oregon President a bone, with this game?  It is all a bit too suspicious to me.

hc celebration 2 jpg.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I too was in shock and all the 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 I do to get the pack 12 network out of me life might be getting traction. Is someone listening?

Even the Beavs Are getting a little love.

Maybe all is not lost.

• Applause 1

I suppose they could be throwing the Pac 12 a bone, but one game doesn't help the conference.  The only way ESPN helps the conference is by agreeing to having a certain number of games during prime time or other non after dark games.  I get the Pac 12 is the only P5 conference for those late night games, but balance it out by putting on Pac 12 games during the day.

If it isn't in the contract, I'm certainly not going to take ESPN's word for "helping" the Pac 12.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/4/2022 at 10:55 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Hmmm

"But, SCHTOOPID... "?

Maybe "Dumb, like a FOX?"

I noticed ABC has FSU and Miami on at 4:30 pm Pacific. Playing the market share odds.

Going retro to 1981. Perfect broadcast for Mario and old school fans.

I think Jon Wilner did a piece on the contractual obligations of ESPN, Fox and the Pac 12 Network in regard to showing teams. 

So, maybe this is Colorado's bone for the year. 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Something smells fishy here.

Understandable, because it IS FishDuck 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1