Tandaian

Ducks Big Picture Outlook for Next Season

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Will Bo Nix return for one more year? Does Oregon add any more 5-star recruits to the 2023 class? Our big-picture look at the 2022 season going into the final stretch.

Wow that's a very long list of departing starters.  Next year's team will be completely different and there are some big shoes to fill, especially at QB (assuming Bo leaves) and the O-line.

Say what you will about MC, he left the cupboards fully stocked.  That said, between the exiting players, the transfer portal and the 2023 recruiting class, this will be mostly Lanning's personnel in year two.  Next year will tell us a lot more about the coaching staff than this one IMHO.

Yeah, I remember when we pretty much knew who would be back.  Aside from the occasional academic or behavioral problem, we didn't have to deal with early draft entries and transfer portals.  And I'm not even all that dang old!

That's what makes the consistent success of Bama, Ohio State, and one or two others so impressive.  Aside from an occasional down year, you know somehow they'll retool and reload and be right back in the top 10.  I'm hoping we can get to that point as well.  But man, there's a whole ton up in the air for next year...

From 'New Coach & Staff, w/some new, mostly veteran players' - to -  '2nd year Coach & Staff  w/some vets, mostly new players.  That pretty much sums things up. At least at the starting positions.

Edited by Mic

I think pickups from the transfer portal at O-line and defensive secondary are definitely in order. This is a tricky line to walk as we want enough talent to bolster the roster and also push the existing players; but also not so many that we see players leave because they feel they are being replaced.

I also would not blame Dillingham one bit for snagging a QB if Bo Nix heads to the draft.

There is so much that is unproven in the QB room; but if you're a real deal QB coach, someone at some point will begin to stick out. It might be that we have to wait until Dante Moore gets here to see the guy that sticks out.

That is a big list of possible nfl departures. The reality is most of those won’t get drafted that high and maybe not at all. It really depends on how the Ducks finish the season as to how many of these players will be drafted. 

If we do loose a bunch I have complete confidence that our coaching staff will flip a few and pick up some in the portal.

Except for Sewell I don’t see a lot of nfl talent on defense and even he has slowed a bit and has a tough time in pass coverage. I thought when he first came in he was going to be the guy but after watching him this season I’m not sure any more. Flowe definitely needs more time in college.