Pennsylvania Duck

UTSA Insider JJ Perez Tells Why Will Stein's Offense Was So Good

Perez described the Roadrunner offense as a highly-adaptable spread RPO attack. At times they were heavily-reliant on quarterback Frank Harris' arm and at others they ran the ball over and over again. While it may be triggering to some Oregon fans, Perez cited the success of plays run out of the pistol formation as a key component as well.

"What we saw a lot this year was that once they get the defense on their heels a little bit, they're going to push the tempo to not let them sub or to let them get set," he said "Just go no-huddle and call the game from the sideline. I think that's a big part of why he likes to be on the sidelines during the games."

"He's a really good recruiter. He's going to get after it," he said. "He knows how to talk to these guys. That's to me one of the bigger aspects you want out of your offensive coordinator because recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. You have to buy the groceries if you're going to cook the meal, right?

You can listen to the entire Autzen Audibles 22-minute podcast conversation at the bottom of the article. I see similarities with him and Dilly.

247SPORTS.COM

UTSA insider JJ Perez goes in-depth on what made Will Stein's offense so good in 2022

• Thumbs Up 1

This is really, really good.  But the Pistol?

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/9/2022 at 8:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is really, really good.  But the Pistol?

Let's hope it's a fully automatic pistol.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

But the Pistol?

As long as the pistol remains a sometimes formation we'll be ok. 

Well that and as long as it isn't used like Cristobal where he really saw the pistol as the spread offenses version of an i-formation, which it isn't. The pistol under MC was super predictable... Always... Always went right into the A-gap. 

So if the pistol isn't a full time formation and is used more creatively. I'm ok with that. 

On 12/9/2022 at 6:56 PM, David Marsh said:

So if the pistol isn't a full time formation and is used more creatively. I'm ok with that. 

Yep, we did see it under Dilly, and you didn't see me get wacked out over it.  As you indicated, it is not the formation, but how it is used.  For me...under Mario...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

yeah, sounds like the same kind of bright creative mind as Dilly. 

let's see how he does at getting on the recruiting trail now and keeping some of the guys who have committed and then get some really good new ones.

If Bo stays, hope he can put him in a place where he can succeed much like Dilly did. If not let's see how he does with get someone else ready to produce at close to the same level.

You have to buy the groceries if you’re going to cook the meal . . . now that’s good stuff! Let’s buy him a big shopping cart.