FishDuck Article

How Dan Lanning Will Trim the Football Roster to 85

Charles Fischer, Mr. FishDuck, gives us his thoughts on how Oregon Coach Dan Lanning will trim the roster.  

FISHDUCK.COM

I read the posts on the Our Beloved Ducks forum where the question often was, "we are way over our 85 scholarship limit–how are we going to...

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Pretty much spot on. I’ve been thinking for some time now that this kind of help you out the door thing has been going on for a bit. No one really knows for sure what goes on behind close doors but I am confident that the players that aren’t buying in have already been explained the situation. Some have probably been urged to step up or leave.

Using Noah as an example. Didn’t look like his heart was fully engaged to me buy the way he was playing. The NFL was a logical move rather than transfer out. Actually I am surprised Dorlus is coming back. He seemed to be dogging it in the bowl game in the first half.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would add Coach Lanning needs to have a better filter for recruiting players, not posers. This can best be seen at qb, but seems to have found its way throughout the program. 

My example of Brock Purdy being overlooked over a more highly ranked recruit is the best example of the previous staff's focus on recruiting rankings. Players need to be analyzed with an effort meter, not just a potential meter. 

It's like we have been recruiting potential energy, rather than kinetic energy. We need to view players in motion rather than as they sit on top of the hill. I want players who have worked extremely hard to get to the top, and are willing to fly down the hill and attack the next obstacle.

Players who are sitting at the top and maybe didn't have to go too far to get there need to be filtered out.

Kinetic-Energy-and-Potential-Energy.png

• Thumbs Up 3

The coaches know the rules, surely they have a plan, it will be just fine this fall.  

Great article Charles!  I agree that DL is probably taking this route but taking it slow since he's only going into his 2nd year.  First obvious play I think we'll start seeing this "de-recruitment" method is at defensive line given the sheer number of high school recruits and transfers he has coming in at those positions.  The end result will be at least 2 layers of quality depth and a string of transfers out by the time Fall practice starts.

Edited by kirklandduck

This is where Malchow excels and why DL brought him to Oregon.   I think both he and Dan get it.

Not to speak ill of the departed, but I don't think the previous regime EVER got it.   The main guy was a star chaser.   I don't get the impression Dan is.   Of course everyone wants 5/4 star guys but there are diamonds in the rough out there too and I trust Dan's acumen for finding those far more than the previous guy.  I trust Dan to find guys to fit his system, not guys who are just 5 stars.  Evidence MIGHT be the guy from ASU that committed yesterday.   There were plenty of folks in the twitterverse who said 'what'.   We won't know for awhile but this may be an example of a guy who is a hard worker and wants to earn an opportunity.

Awesome article!  I think you got the analysis spot on for this one.  The question posed was how do the Ducks get to 85 by Fall camp and the answer is as you said attrition.  I spent 25 years in the military and there is one common factor to the really high performing teams we put together and that's "down selection".

DL sets the bar high for the talent that get brought to Oregon from all sources but that offer is really only an offer to compete, not to play at Oregon.  Everyone on the roster has to earn their spot.  I think you hit the nail on the head that the timing windows enforced by signing and the portal drives Spring ball as the time when the roster will get shaped.

There are a number of factors in attrition and some of them aren't under the program's control.  Injuries most notably but also conduct and to a lesser extent academics. Once the program has accounted for the unplanned attrition then they will have to finish the shaping the hard way.

I would expect the plan for Oregon is to have an aggressive Spring camp to really help grade out the positions.  That aggressiveness doesn't necessarily mean the coaches are screaming at players so much as it means they are pushing them hard.  Screaming is definitely one way to dial up stressors but in my experience it's far less useful than simulating actual performance stress.  Make them do what you need them to do but do it at a higher level than they are comfortable with.  

I would think at the end of Spring camp Oregon's coaches will have a rough depth chart put together that tells them who the 85 should be.  They will mostly also know who is injured, has off field challenges and who is struggling in the classroom.  Those that are below the 85 cut would then get a meeting with coach Lanning and their position coach where they are simply told, I'm sorry you just aren't going to be able to make it at Oregon, how can we get you where you can succeed?  

The trick here is the scholarship offer is binding but one of the three reasons for a program to pull a scholarship is the athlete asks for it, e.g. transfers or drops.  It's the drop on request route but these athletes want to play and so the coaches being honest about their position on the roster is probably the best route to 85 in my opinion.  

• Thanks 1

My question in all of this is whether Pac 12 scholarships are guaranteed?  I thought that was allowed as opposed to 1 year renewable.  If so, a now marginable player could "screw" the school by saying, I'll stay.  Bench is warm, cozy, decent seat (except having to always say "down in front"), and great price!

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 2:38 PM, Steven A said:

My question in all of this is whether Pac 12 scholarships are guaranteed?  I thought that was allowed as opposed to 1 year renewable.  If so, a now marginable player could "screw" the school by saying, I'll stay.  Bench is warm, cozy, decent seat (except having to always say "down in front"), and great price!

I believe they can do that, and it will also happen with portal transfers who don't work out.  They will take a scholarship and focus on school.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Just ran into this Locked on Ducks Podcast with Spencer McLaughlin made today. The first topic on this podcast is how to trim Duck roster.  Later on, he also talks about Jordan Burch, the South Carolina DL in the portal.

How will Dan Lanning get Oregon Football under the scholarship limit? | Oregon Ducks Podcast

What happens to a players scholly if he is cut. Just wondering.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:25 PM, Just Ducky said:

What happens to a players scholly if he is cut. Just wondering.

It is then available to use by someone new by HS or portal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Here is a resource that answers some of the questions on the thread.

WWW.ATHLETICSCHOLARSHIPS.NET

The subject of losing a scholarship is always very touchy because the process is never easy. Usually, if you ask a coach and the athlete what the story is, the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

The TLDR is a scholarship is only good for 1 year and the three reason's a scholarship can be taken before the year is up are 1) you are ineligible 2) misrepresent information on a university document 3) withdrawal from the team.

Refusing to practice/play would constitute withdrawal.  Another point is signing an NIL doesn't guarantee you a scholarship.  That's a separate form in the scholarship/aid agreement.

I would say it's extremely rare outside of conduct or academic reasons for an athlete at Oregon to lose their scholarship before the year is up.  The 1 year clock is "likely" not the same timeframe for every athlete and has to do with when they enroll.  Athletes that will be cut after spring ball likely aren't early enrollees and those that are would likely simply not have their scholarship renewed so they are faced with transferring or staying as a walk on.

I don't see the coaches being heartless in this process at all and I don't see a lot of dead weight on Oregon's roster.  Oregon wants players who are working to get play time and the players want honesty from the coaches on play time prospects.  The transfer portal has the potential to make this process better for all parties.

• Great post! 1

Just for kicks I looked up this years roster.

I counted the players that are “Fr”. 50 players on the roster are designated “Fr”. 

• Wow 1

Don't forget we are still waiting for quite a few seniors to declare whether they are returning...