FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 4 Ways Lanning’s Ducks Can Finish Games Better in 2023

Our Oregon Ducks football team’s ability to finish games was brought into question heavily after this past season. Now that the 2022-2023 season is behind us, I think it’s time we start looking to the year ahead, and what this team can do differently to be more successful in the fourth quarter of games through 2023. Hopefully, these changes will ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football team's ability to finish games was brought into question...
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Excellent points to consider Alex.  Thanks!  I would like to add one more to your list.

Please, Coach Lanning, give the back up quarterback the whole offense to work with.  Please don't go into the mindset the game is won so dialing back the offense prevents mistakes.

Not only is this unfair to the backups, but it guarantees a loaded box.  This causes a quick 3 and out and gives the ball back to the opponent.

Being nice, not trying to run up the score puts undue stress on the defense.  Being ultra conservative prevents success.

By the way, priority must be placed on getting the backup QB ready for the season!

• Thumbs Up 2

One item I would like to see change is aggressive, successful back-up qb play late in the game. I agree Nix is critical to a successful season, but a back-up qb is also critical for this season and next. You also didn't mention the 5* transfer Burch as an answer to our pass rush. With only 3.5 sacks last year you might be right to not mention him.

First critical to our season is back-up qb development. We need Stein to bring out the best in Ty, and the rest of the group.  Austin Novasad switched to Oregon late because he believed in Stein. Maybe, just maybe Stein can also help Ty. It would be nice to see a breakthrough with both, and a back-up battle begin for next season.

I'm not holding my breath on Burch, but this is his last chance to live up to his potential. It is also Lanning and Tosh's opportunity to help a transfer reach his potential. The Nix fix has done wonders for the program. Can the Burch fix our pass rush problem and help create a pipeline of defensive transfers who want a second chance, like Nix has, I am sure, done at qb.

Finishing is a great subject Alex, and I am glad you brought it up, well done. This will be a huge part of the success of the program next season. At qb it will also be critical for next season. Who will bring it on D is also up in the air. Leadership on D, on the field, is something I want to see more of, and maybe it will come for the renewed energy of Burch?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nice breakdown and analysis, Alex! In year 2 of Coach Lannings career we should see his process and hard nose culture take shape. Not just from the players but coaches, too!

3 of the 4 areas you covered should start improving with the over abundance of players during spring practice. Fierce competition just to make the aquad should bring out the best in these talented players

4th down and late game decisions will have to wait until the season starts. We know DL is a gambler and will take chances. So we will see if he improves.

I agree with you and the previous posters that back up QB development and Defensive improvement are essential moving forward. Having a shut down D can help minimize risky in game decisions.

Go Ducks! Nothing will help improve the PAC's National image like OBD's getting to and winning the Natty. The future is now........

• Let’s hope! 1

Excellent summary Alex, and I like how tactful you were with the play-calling involving QB runs.  We gotta be smarter, especially when we have an entire playbook that features other great players on offense.

Terrance Ferguson by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter (2).jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thank you, Alex. Great thoughts on how the Ducks can improve in 2023.

Analytics? I completely understand the concept but as a greybeard, I often cringe when a team within FG distance goes for it on 4th down. Especially when a team is playing on the road.

Oregon State went for it 4 times when within FG range in Seattle and lost to UW by 3 points. 

As you so noted, 2023 will be a fine line between keeping Nix healthy and running an effective RPO game. If Nix is not a legit run threat we are watching an O with a hand tied behind its back.

BTW, Go Ducks predicts that Oregon will make the Final 4 and play Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. I love the optimism and hope that it will come to fruition. Meanwhile, beat Portland State!

Thanks again for the well-written and well-thought-out take.

Thanks AH

Two words . . . corner fade!

• Applause 1

Hey my Duck friends been awhile.  I’m trying to catch up with everything Duck related.  Very nice article Alex well done!!!

I absolutely agree with your analysis.  Especially about keeping Nix healthy, the run game, and everything defense related.  Having a player breakout on the D-line could pay huge dividends by as you mentioned demanding double teams and providing others with opportunities.  Much like Carter for the Dawgs last season.  His stats weren’t great but his presence was huge.  Guys like this can be game changers.  

Lanning is a defensive coach, but Oregon’s strength might yet again be on offense.  I’d love to see an offense that can control the game and keep opposing defenses on the field.  It can’t be overstated how much of an advantage this could potentially bring.  Keeping the Ducks D fresh and exhausting the opponents D could be huge late in games.  I’m not sure that is a strategy the new OC has in mind but it seems like a strategy that Lanning might lean towards.  Bo Nix and Co verses a tired defense in the 4th seems like a great recipe.  

Anyhow, I’m enjoying reading about the Ducks.  Things are looking up I believe, Lanning is doing what he does.

Go Ducks!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Very good points Alex.  I think that no matter how good our CBs are, the PAC 12 QBs are too lethal.  If Penix et al are given enough time to throw they will beat the best DBs most of the time.  So developing a pass rush is absolutely imperative if OBD are to compete for a conference title.  

• Applause 1

All 4 good points, but Secondary stars will be made from a much improved pass rush.  The latter is a huge key for this team and I like you put it number one.  

Also, I know they haven't played a down yet at Oregon and you mentioned none of them, probably as they are unproven, whether true freshman or transfers, but those two groups will play a huge role in '23...they will have to, especially on Defense.

• Applause 1