Jon Joseph

Sources Say: Big 10 Not Done Raiding the Pac-12

This is from Matt Hayes whose articles usually appear on Saturday's Down South; this article appeared today Saturdays Out West.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

'If anyone thinks the Big Ten isn't coming back for more, they're not following along,' a source told our Matt Hayes. Bottom line: The Pac-12 is in trouble as a Power 5 league.

Edited by Jon Joseph

Part of the problem with knowing who to believe in today's world is that the media is incredibly fragmented.  Used to be UPI, AP, SI, Sporting News, and a few others were the (fairly) trusted sources for what was going on in sports.  Today, anyone with an Internet connection is a "journalist."  All they have to do is say "I'm hearing..." or "Sources say..." and we have no way to know whether this is the scoop of the century or some clown pulling things out of his tailpipe.

There are advantages to the new media world - but also some serious disadvantages.  While I appreciate the posting of the article, I'll reserve worry/celebration/other reaction for when we actually know what's happening.

And even then, it'll only be temporary until the next round of media rights negotiations, restructuring, conference poaching, NIL changes...

• Applause 1

On 2/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Part of the problem with knowing who to believe in today's world is that the media is incredibly fragmented.  Used to be UPI, AP, SI, Sporting News, and a few others were the (fairly) trusted sources for what was going on in sports.  Today, anyone with an Internet connection is a "journalist."  All they have to do is say "I'm hearing..." or "Sources say..." and we have no way to know whether this is the scoop of the century or some clown pulling things out of his tailpipe.

There are advantages to the new media world - but also some serious disadvantages.  While I appreciate the posting of the article, I'll reserve worry/celebration/other reaction for when we actually know what's happening.

And even then, it'll only be temporary until the next round of media rights negotiations, restructuring, conference poaching, NIL changes...

Completely agree with your take on "sources".  That said, the argument he's laid out here makes sense.  Once they have USC/UCLA in the fold they'll do everything they can to hang on to them.  Assuming the P12 survives this media contract, it could have potentially bought enough time to work it's way back into relevance with the expanded playoff and by adding new teams.  That leaves the door open for USC/UCLA to come home during the next contract cycle and you can damn well be sure they would be welcomed with open arms, regardless of their betrayal.

Despite their academic posturing, the last thing the B1G wants is a strong and relevant P12.  I'll say it again, the first domino falls and the flood gates open.  There's no way the B1G lets Oregon/Washington go to the B12.  If they wind up with Cal/Stanford that's just icing on the cake.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

With the renewed flurry of "breaking news" rumors a conspiracy theorist might think there is a master plan to destroy the Pac.  I wonder who might benefit the most (cough LA schools cough) if Oregon, UW, Cal and Stanford became annual opponents yet received tens of millions of dollars less in media rights.

But we all know U$C is pure as the driven snow, right?

I guess we're stuck with this narrative until the media deal is signed.

Personally, I'm going to lengthen my life by refusing to read this type of muck.

• Thumbs Up 1