Haywarduck

When Will The Program Fully Be Lanning's?

Last season was the first of Lanning's tenure. I would argue it wasn't fully Lanning's program, and won't be for a while. While it is his responsibility to get all he can out of the program, it isn't his vision yet. 

At what point will we see what a Lanning led program can bring? I would say as his players hit the field with his mentality, and culture. That may not happen this season or even next. We definitely didn't see it on defense, nor special teams. It was even incomplete on offense.

The start of the Lanning era is more like the start of the Casanova, or Brooks eras than anything we have seen recently. The program has been fairly successful, but I would say it was adrift. We have all new coaches, the defense is in a complete overhaul, the offense is moving back to what is was, hopefully. I also think the special teams is in a transformation mode. 

Most importantly the culture Lanning is building is just starting to bear fruit. Instead of the leadership I hoped to see developed within the amazing talent on defense, we saw transfers, and an infusion of young talent and transfers in. I would argue we are still in the infancy of a Lanning defense.

On offense the culture is still tenuous with a senior transfer qb. Maybe Nix can leave a legacy of how it is done, and that will infect the rest, but the depth isn't there, yet. On special teams we also don't have the mentality Lanning wants to see.

I think this is good news. The future is bright, but still in the distance, and we need to stay patient. We have a rebuild, not a reload going on.

• Great post! 2
  • Like 1

Hi Haywarduck.  This article that came out back in January by Erik Skopil stated the coming season will be 75% Dan Lannings added players.  Hope this helps.

Whenever a new head coach takes over a program, it's suggested that patience will be required before judging the hire until he builds a team of his guys.

Not much patience is required these days. Thanks to the advent of the transfer portal and the elimination of signing class size restrictions, schools can retool rosters much quicker than in the past.

Dan Lanning inherited a roster of mostly Mario Cristobal's guys with a mixture of Willie Taggart and even Mark Helfrich recruits sprinkled when he took over in late 2021. One year later and Lanning is in the process of turning over the majority of the roster.

The Ducks have already signed 28 prep recruits and have commitments from six transfer portal players to boot. The additions seem far from over, as the Ducks remain real players for a handful of top unsigned high school players and are also pushing for more transfer additions too.

Scholarship math is tough this time of year, but it seems likely that when all is said and done, and the 2023 roster is set in stone, that around 75 percent of that roster will be made up of players brought in by Lanning over what will be a 20-month span.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's 2023 roster projects to be 75 percent Dan Lanning added players

• Thumbs Up 2

While most of the 2023 roster has been brought in by Lanning--the mind set and culture is still not built, or even close to what Georgia has, IMHO.  It will take three years to fully replace the culture, and to create the west-coast version of the Bulldog defense, thus in that sense we have two years to go...to me.  

Yet you cannot blame or attribute things to the prior coach at some point.

So there are really two questions here; when is it Lanning's team, and when will it be built to his vision?  I think it is Lanning's team now, but will not be fully developed to his vision until the end of 2024--between the culture built, and the young-guns on defense in his system long enough to be masters of it.

Great topic Haywarduck!

What Oregon Head Coach Dan Lanning Said After the Ducks Beat UCLA Bruins -  Sports Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

No mention of offense because I believe we have a "Miracle-Maker" as a new OC. More on that tomorrow, as you-know-who is working on a FishDuck article to be published in the early morning.  (I know, a Shameless plug from a Shameless Beggar)

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Great thread HaywardDuck, thanks!

IMHO, the team culture will not be 100% Lanning’s until his selected playmakers are fully in charge of the locker room, mentoring the new guys. That is probably gong to happen sooner rather than later.

Respectfully, I am not looking for a “west-coast version of the Bulldog defense” as Charles mentions, I am hoping to see an Oregon version of a  Lanning inspired Defense (with a capital D).

The pieces are starting to fall into place for an edge rushing nightmare with a lock down and opportunistic secondary.  The Duck D will get a chance to prove themselves this year against arguable the best QB conference in the nation.

Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Awesome input by NJ on the transition #'s, along with the notable point by Pitt on the Lanning players need to be in charge of the locker room, and importantly the training, weight room. They also need to be the leaders on the field. I think this parallels Charles exceptional point on 2024 hopefully being the time we see the culture of a Lanning program.

I also like Charles point on when the players reach mastery of the Lanning defense. We didn't even reach proficiency last season, and mastery takes repetition of proficiency. You need to have ability to do the task, do it repeatedly, and then you start to see something special.

Much like driving down a road the first time, you don't see the wildlife, or really much detail. After a few times you see the wildlife, you actually can not unsee the eagle's nest, and start seeing the activity around it. Last seasons defense never saw the detail, and bringing guys who already understand those details is critical. I would say we are a year behind on defense, and special teams.

I am actually still extremely excited about this Lanning program. I think being realistic on what that will look like and when it might look that way is critical. Lanning did the best he could last year, is the good way to look at it, but there is greatness ahead! The formula is just beginning to bring out the emotions which are ahead.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:41 AM, PittDuck said:

IMHO, the team culture will not be 100% Lanning’s until his selected playmakers are fully in charge of the locker room, mentoring the new guys.

This is a really great point because this team is so young--it will take a year for those leaders to emerge, IMHO.

Defense2 by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm just afraid if we don't know when we can expect the program to fully become Lannings we might.....

ConsiderateCourteousIberianchiffchaff-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

When the elders take pride on mentoring the Ducklings you have the beginnings of a winning culture. This does take time and can become self-perpetuating as it has become in Athens. Lanning has seen it there and IMO will be successful at instilling it in Eugene. But as Charles noted, the process takes some time and a little patience on the fans' part.