NJDuck

ESPN Wants to be Hub of All Live Sports Streaming — Even if it Helps Rivals

The sports network has held conversations with major sports leagues and media partners about launching a feature on ESPN.com and its free ESPN app that will link users directly to where a live sporting event is streaming, according to people familiar with the matter.

Disney’s ESPN wants to be the hub for all live sports streaming — even for its competition.

The sports network has held conversations with major sports leagues and media partners about launching a feature on ESPN.com and its free ESPN app that will link users directly to where a live sporting event is streaming, according to people familiar with the matter. 

That could include national or global streaming services, such as Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video, or a regional sports service such as Sinclair’sBally Sports+ or Madison Square Garden Entertainment’s MSG+.

WWW.CNBC.COM

The idea aims to make ESPN the TV guide of live sports. The network has held talks with major leagues and media companies, sources said.

My guess is the plan is to offer this free until it is indispensable  and then charge a fee for each click. That plus ESPN ads on portal should make a nice penny for them. 

That seems like a smart idea. 

On 3/2/2023 at 3:22 PM, lownslowav8r said:

My guess is the plan is to offer this free until it is indispensable  and then charge a fee for each click. That plus ESPN ads on portal should make a nice penny for them. 

Yeah, the ad money is probably the biggest thing they are after, I don't think a model where you are charged to find out where a streaming event in would work, but if they became the number one place to check where events are being shown, then the ad money will be worth it.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2023 at 5:22 PM, spartan2785 said:

the ad money

That's what I think- just for ad money. I mean, people could just visit their school's athletic department website like goducks.com, and it will tell you where the game is being streamed.

I don't see them monetizing it in anyway other than for ads. It's basically freely available info. 

Interesting.

While the business terms of the concept could still change, ESPN has considered a model in which it would take a cut of subscription revenue from a user who signed up for a streaming service through the ESPN app or website, two of the people said. If a customer already subscribes to a given service, ESPN would collect no money and just provide the link as a courtesy, people familiar with the matter said.