Pennsylvania Duck

March Madness: UCLA/USC Leaving, Pac-12 Gets Their Money

This is a great Jon Wilner article that is wonderful news for the Pac-12. 

Business of Sports – No, UCLA and USC won’t take their NCAA Tournament units to the Big Ten

Time for Pac-12 fans to embrace the enemy within.

UCLA and USC are departing for the Big Ten in the summer of 2024, but the March Madness units they collect in the NCAA’s complicated revenue distribution formula will remain bound to the Pac-12 for the full payout cycle.

The schools are leaving; the units are staying.

USC was eliminated Friday by Michigan State, while the Bruins have advanced to the second round and a date with Northwestern on Saturday.

Their success will impact Pac-12 budgets for years to come.

So if you’re wondering whether to root for the L.A. schools, keep in mind the endgame: Their success in the NCAAs could be worth $1 million or more to your school over time.

SPORTS360AZ.COM

<p>Time for Pac-12 fans to embrace the enemy within. UCLA and USC are departing for the Big Ten in the summer of 2024, but the...
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

And do not forget the $ UCLA has to pay as a 'tax' to CAL.

UCLA did beat Northwestern and is in the Sweet 16 against the winner of today's Gonzaga vs TCU game.

Edited by Jon Joseph

Well, I think I will discuss the actual topic that began the thread and not divert elsewhere...

First--I did not know that the conference is paid out over a five year period for a team being in the NCAA BB tournament.  News to me..

Second--again, the team that is in the tournament should get 50% of the revenue with the rest split.  Winners have to be rewarded, especially if we are taking a 30 million hit per year to remain in this conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/19/2023 at 12:58 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I think I will discuss the actual topic that began the thread and not divert elsewhere...

First--I did not know that the conference is paid out over a five year period for a team being in the NCAA BB tournament.  News to me..

Second--again, the team that is in the tournament should get 50% of the revenue with the rest split.  Winners have to be rewarded, especially if we are taking a 30 million hit per year to remain in this conference.

Sorry for going OT. My bad.

Charles, I totally agree with your second point. Winners should get a bigger share. And perhaps, the most-watched teams should also receive a bigger share. 

Wilner is right, the payout to a conference for appearing and advancing in the CBB tournament is made over a 5-year period. UCLA and USC will take no NCAA money with them for the 2023/24 season but will get a one-twelfth share for this season and their share of the money earned over the previous seasons before they leave in 2024. 

I again apologize for going OT. I shouldn't complain about media deal rumors and then pile on with more of the same. It doesn't matter what I think. The only thing that matters will be the bottom line of the new media deal. 

The unit payouts for each game played in the NCAA can provide much needed annual cash for conferences and their members. 

Certain members of the PAC seem to be content with "receiving the money" and doing very little to build their programs to bring in the money.

With ucla and usc leaving that reduces future units that they would have produced for the PAC, especially ucla, for years to come.

All revenue matters! Bringing in SDSU will help because they make the dance often. At least more often than Cal or WSU for example.

Hopefully, the PAC can bring in Gonzaga for basketball. They are an annual dancer and usually play 3 games. An excellent replacement for ucla.

Why won’t USC and UCLA receive NCAA payouts next season from the PAC-12?  They are still conference members next year.  

On 3/19/2023 at 3:24 PM, Rufus said:

Why won’t USC and UCLA receive NCAA payouts next season from the PAC-12?  They are still conference members next year.  

Instead of rewriting it, the article explained it…

Mr. FishDuck

USC makes more money for USC and UCLA with that loss to Michigan State than if they had won.  

UCLA cost UCLA and USC money by beating Northwestern.  

On 3/19/2023 at 1:09 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The unit payouts for each game played in the NCAA can provide much needed annual cash for conferences and their members. 

Certain members of the PAC seem to be content with "receiving the money" and doing very little to build their programs to bring in the money.

With ucla and usc leaving that reduces future units that they would have produced for the PAC, especially ucla, for years to come.

All revenue matters! Bringing in SDSU will help because they make the dance often. At least more often than Cal or WSU for example.

Hopefully, the PAC can bring in Gonzaga for basketball. They are an annual dancer and usually play 3 games. An excellent replacement for ucla.

San Diego State wins the Mountain West to get into the tourney. They will have to win the Pac to get into the tourney if they get into our conference.

They are tough at home, but winless against ranked teams, like most of their conference teams.

The Pac did fairly well against ranked teams, except the dawgs, 0-5.

• Thumbs Up 1