Steven A

Wow, Tara VanDerveer Sore Loser Quote

Tara: "I know our men's team would be ecstatic to play two games in the NCAA tournament."

Did not see that coming.

I guess she does not like being the first #1 seed to not advance to the sweet sixteen since 2009.

Warms my heart after a quote like that.

• Haha 3

March Madness: Did Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer take shot at men's team after shocking early exit?

Stanford's women's basketball team, a No. 1 seed, was shockingly eliminated from the second round of the NCAA tournament on Sunday by No. 8 Ole Miss. It was a historic defeat that marked just the fifth time since 1994 that a No. 1 seed was knocked out before the Sweet 16. Stanford never led in their 54-49 loss.

After being asked a question about whether they need adversity to perform well (the last time Stanford won the championship, it was in 2021 when they were forced to relocate home games due to COVID-19 health orders), VanDerveer used Stanford's men's team as a measuring stick for the women's team's relative success.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Tara VanDerveer mentioned the men's program following Stanford's shocking second-round loss to Ole Miss.

Tara VanDerveer is a sad, entightled old h@g. Nothing new here.

Tara V. is so highly-acclaimed--and she's earned it--but my impression every time after I hear her interviewed is, "Who'd wanna play for this grouch?"  Of course, I always said that about guys like Bobby Knight, so there's that.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chagrin is a tough pill to swallow. Thought she had more class than that. Guess I was wrong.

Then settle it with the men's team on the court!!! Oops 🤭 

• Thumbs Up 1

But you know what? It is refreshing that someone at Stanford cares about how a Stanford team performs.

She could have been far more classy but anyone giving a whip in Palo Alto about sports these days is a novelty.

CAL and Stanford do not appear to want to compete in P5 football and men's basketball at a championship level. Yet, they expect the same media revenue share as Oregon receives.

• Yikes! 1
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 9:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

But you know what? It is refreshing that someone at Stanford cares about how a Stanford team performs.

She could have been far more classy but anyone giving a whip in Palo Alto about sports these days is a novelty.

CAL and Stanford do not appear to want to compete in P5 football and men's basketball at a championship level. Yet, they expect the same media revenue share as Oregon receives.

It's actually a great point, there is no reason why Stanford shouldn't be better in at least basketball, they had success under Montgomery, it's not as hard to find the athletes that can make it work at an academic school like Stanford.  They are the program I've been most disappointed in when it comes to basketball in the Pac-12.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:20 PM, spartan2785 said:

It's actually a great point, there is no reason why Stanford shouldn't be better in at least basketball, they had success under Montgomery, it's not as hard to find the athletes that can make it work at an academic school like Stanford.  They are the program I've been most disappointed in when it comes to basketball in the Pac-12.

Great take. See - Princeton. No player on the Princeton team is even on an athletic scholarship. And Stanford retained its men's CBB coach who has done a terrible job.

At least CAL fired its awful CBB head coach. Let's see if CAL hires a solid replacement or someone just to field a team so CAL can get its share of media rights money.

Oregon does not have the best conference 'partners' and this is affecting what GK has to sell.