NJDuck

Canzano: Fallout from Ugly Chant at BYU-Oregon Game has jumped Shark

I happened to be in the Autzen Stadium press box last football season when a small number of dimwit students at the University of Oregon started a vulgar chant aimed at BYU’s football team.

I didn’t hear their “fricken**k the Mormons!” refrain from the press box. I learned about it after the game and shook my head. Then, I wondered about the hearts of those students and how embarrassed their parents would be. The following morning, I made note of it when students and administrators at UO apologized to BYU and denounced the chant.

At no point did I think football coach Dan Lanning should be suspended. Nor did I think his athletic director, Rob Mullens, should take a week off without pay. But as the French poet Jules Renard once wrote: “Look for the ridiculous in everything, and you will find it.”

We sometimes specialize in the unnecessary and ridiculous HB2472 is Exhibit A.  But it's time for our state's lawmakers to focus on things more important than trying to turn coaches and athletic directors into babysitters.

I agree with Canzano.  Initialize laws that make sense.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Law would suspend coach/AD for bad fan behavior.

• Mic drop 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, NJDuck said:

At no point did I think football coach Dan Lanning should be suspended. Nor did I think his athletic director, Rob Mullens, should take a week off without pay.

Honestly, I doubt the legality of such a law and think it wouldn't survive the Oregon Supreme court.

"Section 8. Freedom of speech and press. No law shall be passed restraining the free expression of opinion, or restricting the right to speak, write, or print freely on any subject whatever; but every person shall be responsible for the abuse of this right"

I was at the game and couldn't understand what they said at the time.  As repugnant as the chant was it would be interpreted as protected speech likely under the satire clause.  If the government can't stop Nazi's from chanting white power then they don't have the power to punish dumb students from embarrassing our university.  As you can read above, regardless the Oregon constitution indicates the offender is responsible for their speech and so a law imposing monetary penalties (or any other kind) on the HC or AD isn't permissible.

It would be nice if legislators spent more time on promoting laws that actually benefit the state or at least don't violate the constitution.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

'Nothing is more dangerous than a legislative body in session.' Mark Twain

I loved this take by Canzano. You can't fix stupid; especially, by responding with equal stupidity.

A similar piece of legislation introduced in Washington was pulled after UW and WSU objected.

The proper response? Kick the fools out of the stadium and deny them entry from thereon.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:34 AM, NJDuck said:

I happened to be in the Autzen Stadium press box last football season when a small number of dimwit students at the University of Oregon started a vulgar chant aimed at BYU’s football team.

I didn’t hear their “fricken**k the Mormons!” refrain from the press box. I learned about it after the game and shook my head. Then, I wondered about the hearts of those students and how embarrassed their parents would be. The following morning, I made note of it when students and administrators at UO apologized to BYU and denounced the chant.

At no point did I think football coach Dan Lanning should be suspended. Nor did I think his athletic director, Rob Mullens, should take a week off without pay. But as the French poet Jules Renard once wrote: “Look for the ridiculous in everything, and you will find it.”

We sometimes specialize in the unnecessary and ridiculous HB2472 is Exhibit A.  But it's time for our state's lawmakers to focus on things more important than trying to turn coaches and athletic directors into babysitters.

I agree with Canzano.  Initialize laws that make sense.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Law would suspend coach/AD for bad fan behavior.

And vote the tube steaks who introduce this kind of nonsense.

A Portland area rep where crime is sky high this is who she goes after? Hmmmm....

I've seen in hoops where the home team gets a technical foul. In my observation punishing the team on the court gets fans back in line quickly. I'm sure they could think of something like this for football. 

Edited by Darren Perkins

John Canzano: The Bald Faced Truth Podcast

John Canzano talks to state representative Janelle Bynum (D-Clackamas) about the bill she is sponsoring, HB 2472, which would require public universities to develop specified policies and accountability mechanisms for behavior at interscholastic activities, including sporting events, making head coaches and athletic directors at Oregon and Oregon State potentially culpable if there are bad fan interactions.

Listen to John Canzano interview state rep Janelle Bynum regarding the bill she is sponsoring below...

I heard it live on the radio.  Janelle Bynum wants the football game experience to go back being fun for the whole family and for the players.  It sounded like she didn't have a problem changing who is accountable for bad behavior, only that she wanted bad behavior to be removed.

John Canzano straight up told her the head coach and AD can't be held accountable, because they can't stop it.  Canzano pretty much came down to the conclusion there needs to be more security at games.

Agree this is about as frustrating as it gets, but it also jumps into the political world, and doesn't really meet the standards of discussion, IMHO.

I also applaud all posters for not taking this sideways!

Edited by Haywarduck

On 3/22/2023 at 7:59 AM, Tandaian said:

Canzano pretty much came down to the conclusion there needs to be more security at games.

Ironically the offenders are students... they have real consequences under the universities rules.  A chant like that is actually grounds for expulsion under current school policies.  The issue is who do you expel?  They would need other students in the section to essentially point the finger.  

Honestly though, a quick video message to the student body where he explained that not only is this not ok but that it hurts the team would probably kill it.  ... at least until a new crop of Freshmen come in.