Jon Joseph

The NCAA Tournament - Tonight's Conflict When Watching UCLA vs Gonzaga

Conundrum plus. I have no love for the bailing-out Bruins but 'We need the dues!'

I guess I will cheer on UCLA tonight but it irks me that finances say I must do so. 

If only wish that Bill Walton was the president of UCLA. A president with no interest in filling up at truck stops.

go bruins?

This is the classic "good-or-good" scenario I've written about before.  I spin it in my mind to be "good" regardless of the outcome.  If UCLA wins--good for the conference and our future revenue stream from it.  If the Bruins lose--that is always good!

Good for them!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/23/2023 at 2:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is the classic "good-or-good" scenario I've written about before.  I spin it in my mind to be "good" regardless of the outcome.  If UCLA wins--good for the conference and our future revenue stream from it.  If the Bruins lose--that is always good!

Good for them!

giphy.gif

Part 1 I could handle. But Part 2?

Is this guy on Altman's radar? If he can do this I would think he could make free throws.

• Haha 2

On 3/23/2023 at 10:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Conundrum plus. I have no love for the bailing-out Bruins but 'We need the dues!'

I guess I will cheer on UCLA tonight but it irks me that finances say I must do so. 

If only wish that Bill Walton was the president of UCLA. A president with no interest in filling up at truck stops.

go bruins?

I like Jaquez, helluva player, but just can’t root for UCLA.

Go Zags.

• Thumbs Up 2

I used to be a big UCLA BB fan in the Wooden glory days and even went to LA to see them play several times at the invite of my parents' next door neighbor. My fandom for the BB Bruins has faded. I am actually a bit of a Gonzaga fan and probably will be until the Zags break  through and win a Natty. I have been very impressed with Mark Few as a coach and am amazed with what the man has accomplished with the recruits he has been able to attract to Spokane WA.  Their comeback rally and win in tonight's game was quite exciting in my opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wishing for UCLA to succeed for the money just makes me think how overly reliant the conference has been on the LA schools to make money for everyone else. The LA gravy train is about to end. The rest of the PAC will look towards Oregon and Washington as being their gravy train now that USC and UCLA are gone. It won’t be nearly as much money, but enough to bring everyone else up to whatever the payout will be. 

Edited by Rufus

On 3/24/2023 at 1:25 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I used to be a big UCLA BB fan in the Wooden glory days and even went to LA to see them play several times at the invite of my parents' next door neighbor. My fandom for the BB Bruins has faded. I am actually a bit of a Gonzaga fan and probably will be until the Zags break  through and win a Natty. I have been very impressed with Mark Few as a coach and am amazed with what the man has accomplished with the recruits he has been able to attract to Spokane WA.  Their comeback rally and win in tonight's game was quite exciting in my opinion. 

I hope the Zags make it but Few and his crew will have a tough time getting past a very solid UConn team. UCLA could have easily won last night missing 2 of its best players and its senior point guard going 0-6 from the field in the 2nd half. 

Meanwhile, I loved the 'little guy' guard from Harlem playing for K State in NYC and putting up 20 points along with a tourney record of 19 assists. The last B1G team standing, Michigan State went down with Tom Izzo whining on his way out the door. 1 B1G team made the Sweet 16 and none made the Elite 8. The conference is overrated in CBB year after year.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/24/2023 at 12:55 PM, Rufus said:

Wishing for UCLA to succeed for the money just makes me think how overly reliant the conference has been on the LA schools to make money for everyone else. The LA gravy train is about to end. The rest of the PAC will look towards Oregon and Washington as being their gravy train now that USC and UCLA are gone. It won’t be nearly as much money, but enough to bring everyone else up to whatever the payout will be. 

However, no football playoff appearance for the LA schools, and Oregon has produced more NCAA Tourney units than the LA schools in the last decade.

SC and UCLA are going B1G not based on on-field and on-court excellence but by an accident of geography and brand names that still resonate although neither school, SC in football and UCLA in basketball, have done anything of significance for years. SC did win 1 Rose Bowl with Helton in charge but that win came when the Rose Bowl was not hosting a playoff game.

Now add the SEC to the major conferences (e.g., B1G, Pac-12) with no teams in a regional final. I also experienced a first over the past 50 years as not one of my bracket's Final Four teams is left standing. My guess now is that the winner of the UConn-Gonzaga game or the Texas Longhorns will be the one's cutting down the nets at  the end.

I'd like to pick SDSU and I think they are a solid basketball team, particularly after watching them dismantle the Bama express this afternoon. I actually think  the Aztecs would have been a real threat to win the Pac-12 this year were they in it. But I don't think that they would match up well against either the Horns or UConn. 

On 3/24/2023 at 2:09 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I hope the Zags make it but Few and his crew will have a tough time getting past a very solid UConn team. UCLA could have easily won last night missing 2 of its best players and its senior point guard going 0-6 from the field in the 2nd half. 

Meanwhile, I loved the 'little guy' guard from Harlem playing for K State in NYC and putting up 20 points along with a tourney record of 19 assists. The last B1G team standing, Michigan State went down with Tom Izzo whining on his way out the door. 1 B1G team made the Sweet 16 and none made the Elite 8. The conference is overrated in CBB year after year.

No number 1 seeds in the Final 4. No Power 2 teams in the Elite 8.  2 P5 teams at most in the Final 4.

San Diego State starting 5. 4 seniors and a junior.

• Thumbs Up 2

I admire the quality and coaching that the Zags and Bruins put on the floor . . . I was rooting a bit for UCLA (hey, if our current men's BB flagship team for the conference wins, it makes us look better imo), but not unhappy to see Coach Few and Gonzaga do their thing.  They are impressively good and consistent year after year.

And this year's Elite 8 . . .  what the heck!   Talk about very "unchalky" . . . only one 2 seed, the Longhorns, left standing (the other 7 top seeds are all out!).   Makes for a very different and exciting tournament . . . and I am loving it!   All hail to the shredding of brackets!

• Thumbs Up 1