Charles Fischer

An Offer From B1G in April Coming?

On 3/30/2023 at 9:15 PM, airspace said:

Meant to say Miami the second time not Clemson.

Don't worry, everyone makes mistakes.

BTW that reply was a pretty interesting read.

I agree with airspace. Those are the only schools in the running to ever join the B1G. 

PAC - Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal

ACC - Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia

Independent - Notre Dame

Doesn’t mean all of them are coming, just that those are the only ones the B1G would even consider.  

On 3/30/2023 at 8:59 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

Do y'all believe that if we and Washington join the Big Ten, the conference decides to stay put at 18 teams or they decide to add 2 more random teams to reach 20?

I believe that at the 'end of the day,' Both the B1G and the SEC will have 20 to 24-member teams. A defacto Super Conference.

Depending on whether players are deemed employees, I think Northwestern and Vanderbilt, for example, might drop out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Today I've been extra careful since it's April Fools, a USC fan tried to troll us and Washington by posting this, I know it's a lie tho: 

I wonder if that rumor will indeed become true, I hope it does, we haven't seen any updates recently sadly...

So, I finally clicked on this thread.

All I can say, in answer to the title is: I hope not.

It is easy to make a decision when there is nothing but a closed door in front of you. When a door opens up, you have to decide.

The PAC ¿? decision makers haven't proven to be that great in decision making over the last couple decades. You trust them to make the right decision here? 

For many reasons stated in other threads, I prefer to stay in the PAC as a clearer path to the playoff, and therefore, more money in the end. 

Jon, appreciate and understand your reluctance in regard to this subject.

But when it comes down to the numbers Oregon was the 7th most watched CFB team in the country last season And THIS was with 45% of the conference football games being "featured" on a network that few (13M subscribers) could watch.

It's not like Oregon and the Pac-10 is moving from a terrific media deal to a questionable media deal.

Today's media deal is not close to that of the B1G and the SEC and the new deal will not bridge the financial gap. Hopefully. the new deal will come close to the $31.6M a year B12 deal?

Hopefully, streaming will take off. I have seen many the take that the ACC and the SEC Networks will both be streaming on ESPN+.

Apparently the Big Ten is in the final stages of it's commissioner search, according to some people who reported the ACC's commissioner staying in there.

They say an annoucement could be done as soon as this week.

Hopefully Oregon does manage to go to the Big Ten even if Kevin Warren isn't there anymore...

On 4/11/2023 at 11:34 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

Apparently the Big Ten is in the final stages of it's commissioner search, according to some people who reported the ACC's commissioner staying in there.

They say an annoucement could be done as soon as this week.

Hopefully Oregon does manage to go to the Big Ten even if Kevin Warren isn't there anymore...

Reportedly Phillips, former AD at Northwestern is signing a 3-year extension to stay on as the ACC commissioner. 

In even more bending over to Notre Dame football, the ACC is dropping divisions but will remain at 8 conference games. Why? Because Notre Dame plays 4 to 6 games every season vs the SEC and Georgia Tech plays Georgia, FSU plays Florida, Clemson plays South Carolina and Louisville plays Kentucky. 

Hats off to FSU for playing both LSU and Florida in 2023.

At this point in time, I see no additional B1G growth until the next media go-round. The B1G deal is locked in and FOX has kept ESPN out of LA. Also, the Pac-10 media rights deal looks like it will extend perhaps into June. I doubt the B1G is going to come after Oregon, UW, or any other Pac-12 teams before it knows the bidding floor for Pac-10 teams.

And I do not think that many of the B1G presidents want to be responsible for the complete destruction of the Pacific conference.

Also, Ohio State canceling out playing UW in Seattle in 2024 with a return game the following year in Columbus is telling in regards to B1G teams' desire to travel to the Left Coast. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

At this point in time, I see no additional B1G growth until the next media go-round.

Agreed.  And it will give a 5-6 year window to boost the numbers of Oregon fans watching due to the streaming option available in the new package.  Oregon should be in a cat-bird seat when this new media contract expires.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My pick for B1G Commissioner:  Mark Silverman. He’s the perfect fit to oversee a coast to coast B1G expansion.  

Hopefully whoever gets it will advocate on the Ducks behalf to the B1G universities.  If Oregon ranks 7th now on tv ratings, imagine what the ranking would be in the B1G with better start times, better opponents, and better media coverage.  

On 4/11/2023 at 3:16 PM, Rufus said:

My pick for B1G Commissioner:  Mark Silverman. He’s the perfect fit to oversee a coast to coast B1G expansion.  

Hopefully whoever gets it will advocate on the Ducks behalf to the B1G universities.  If Oregon ranks 7th now on tv ratings, imagine what the ranking would be in the B1G with better start times, better opponents, and better media coverage.  

Interesting call on Silverman. Of course, the B1G in 2024 will be coast-to-coast.

I do not see SC/UCLA wanting to recruit against Oregon and/or Washington as B1G members. And I don't see why Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, and other B1G teams voting to add teams that will often defeat these schools in football, take money away from these schools and increase west coast travel.

SC/UCLA coming on board is the principal reason Ohio State paid UW $500,000.00 not to have to trip to Seattle in 2024.

UPDATE: The Big Ten's new commish will apparently be someone named Tony Petitti, I don't know if he will be able to bring Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten, I know that most here want the Pac-12 to survive but I sadly don't think it will...

On 4/11/2023 at 6:36 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

UPDATE: The Big Ten's new commish will apparently be someone named Tony Petitti, I don't know if he will be able to bring Oregon and Washington to the Big Ten, I know that most here want the Pac-12 to survive but I sadly don't think it will...

Thanks for the heads up.

I think the conference survives and expands by at least 1 team before the next media go-round where the Pac should be perfectly positioned.

The monkey wrench? If and when student-athletes are deemed to be employees. But even in this 'brave new world' I think Oregon survives and thrives.

NIL-wise, Division Street should not be sold short, and many more folk will have availability to stream games than the 13M subscribers who had access to the Pac-12 Network.

• Applause 1