Charles Fischer

An Offer From B1G in April Coming?

A forum member on another site, (who has had some correct inside information before regarding the hiring of Lanning and Stein) states that his source tells him that an offer will be made to Oregon and Washington "before May."  Not a lock, but decent credibility.

The B1G could guarantee money to OR/WA well below what they are paying to Rutgers and Northwestern for 5-6 years, and that would probably be well above what the new Pac-12 contract would be.

If they offered 40 million--would you take it?  What is your cutoff point?  Mine is 40 million, not 38 or 39 but then I am not one to decide!  Yet it would be easier to make the new 12 team CFB Playoff in the Pac-12...

And the morality of it all--destroying the Pac-12 for our own survival?  (Some would say greed)

Another Bad Decision?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Gotta admit I'm torn on this one.  We bail and the P12 ceases to exist or becomes the new MW.  It would also ease  the travel burden on the LA schools and that frosts me, especially when they are full members and we wouldn't be, kind of looking like a little brother thing.  That said we would get financial security and membership in a conference that's locked in.  I agree the number needs to be substantially more than what GK can come up with, but that seems a given at this point.  Of course full membership in a reasonable time frame is imperative.

I've always felt that the B1G and SEC are each going to wind up with 3-4 teams in the 12-team playoff, so I'm not convinced it's going to be much harder to get to the playoff, just as an automatic bid.  I've also felt that eventually the money gap if we stay in the P12 becomes a talent gap and we may find ourselves regularly getting blown out in the first round of the playoff.  I have faith in the AD and coaching staff, but I just don't think you beat the bottom line long-term when competing against the Power 2.  Sure we could afford to pay DL $10 million if he gets us a championship, but who's to say one of the Power 2 wouldn't offer him twice that.  Coaching salaries are only going up after the new TV deals kick in.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:17 AM, Charles Fischer said:

A forum member on another site, (who has had some correct inside information before regarding the hiring of Lanning and Stein) states that his source tells him that an offer will be made to Oregon and Washington "before May."  Not a lock, but decent credibility.

The B1G could guarantee money to OR/WA well below what they are paying to Rutgers and Northwestern for 5-6 years, and that would probably be well above what the new Pac-12 contract would be.

If they offered 40 million--would you take it?  What is your cutoff point?  Mine is 40 million, not 38 or 39 but then I am not one to decide!  Yet it would be easier to make the new 12 team CFB Playoff in the Pac-12...

And the morality of it all--destroying the Pac-12 for our own survival?  (Some would say greed)

Another Bad Decision?

Hmmmm... I've been wrong about a lot of things regarding conference alignment. But, I say wait. It is almost a lock that the Big 10 will invite these two schools leading up to 2030. Perhaps over the next few years, UCLA realizes they made a mistake and come back. But, the only chance of that is if OR and UW are still in the Pac. 

But, then again, what the hell, got to the Big 10.  : )

Don't like it. Don't like it one bit...doth sayeth the grouchy old man.

Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2023 at 2:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Another Bad Decision?

This could be one reason the Pac-10 media deal is dragging on. What does GK come up with thus setting the floor price for the addition of Oregon and UW?

Look at the eyeballs actually watching football games and not the media market (as you have so accurately done Charles) then pencil in the additional travel costs and I think Oregon should get not less than $40 to $50M with a guaranteed year-by-year ramp-up. 

I also think that with 18 members it would behoove the B1G to go to three, six-team permanent football opponents and double the number of games for non-revenue sports pods  This would really help control travel costs.

West - Oregon, UW, Nebraska, Iowa, SC, and UCLA. 

But the money decision will be made by FOX and not the B1G.

Not certain who would bring a suit but the B1G presidents could also be concerned in regards to an anti-trust suit. 

If this does happen then I imagine that AZ, ASU, CU, and Utah would be off to the B12 but again, how much additional B12 money will ESPN/FOX be willing to spend?

On 3/27/2023 at 3:33 PM, WiseKwacker said:

Don't like it. Don't like it one bit...doth sayeth the grouchy old man.

Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I do not disagree BUT 'We need the dues.'

On 3/27/2023 at 2:45 PM, noDucknewby said:

Gotta admit I'm torn on this one.  We bail and the P12 ceases to exist or becomes the new MW.  It would also ease  the travel burden on the LA schools and that frosts me, especially when they are full members and we wouldn't be, kind of looking like a little brother thing.  That said we would get financial security and membership in a conference that's locked in.  I agree the number needs to be substantially more than what GK can come up with, but that seems a given at this point.  Of course full membership in a reasonable time frame is imperative.

I've always felt that the B1G and SEC are each going to wind up with 3-4 teams in the 12-team playoff, so I'm not convinced it's going to be much harder to get to the playoff, just as an automatic bid.  I've also felt that eventually the money gap if we stay in the P12 becomes a talent gap and we may find ourselves regularly getting blown out in the first round of the playoff.  I have faith in the AD and coaching staff, but I just don't think you beat the bottom line long-term when competing against the Power 2.  Sure we could afford to pay DL $10 million if he gets us a championship, but who's to say one of the Power 2 wouldn't offer him twice that.  Coaching salaries are only going up after the new TV deals kick in.

The B1G has 3 football programs, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State that are competitive every season. The B1G is ridiculously overrated in basketball. 

I think Oregon in both football and basketball (especially once 25-year-olds are no longer eligible) would be very competitive in the B1G. I think Division Street gives Oregon a better NIL program than almost every B1G team. And I also think the money would be there to keep Lanning on board and to hire a quality replacement for Altman when the time comes.

And to date, I'm not worried about Lanning's ability to recruit against the LA schools. Especially so if the Ducks end up in the B1G.

The B1G question for me is how much of a media revenue haircut would Oregon have to take compared to SC and UCLA? 

Nebraska joined the B1G at a lesser revenue share as did Rutgers and Maryland.

I see the Power 2 each ending up with 20 to 24 teams and at least being a de facto Super Conference.

On 3/27/2023 at 12:35 PM, Jon Joseph said:

This could be one reason the Pac-10 media deal is dragging on. What does GK come up with thus setting the floor price for the addition of Oregon and UW?

Wow--great point Jon, and I did not think of that negotiating tactic.  I am sure that whatever the Pac-12 comes up with--the B1G is lying in weeds saying, "we can beat that, and yet it will be cheaper than a full new member."

Nah, I'm sure it will go well.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

In addition to the PAC media deal dragging out, consider this….

The B1G has yet to announce its scheduling format for 2024, including protected rivalries.  There is no reason for this to have dragged on so long unless something big was going to happen first. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2023 at 4:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Wow--great point Jon, and I did not think of that negotiating tactic.  I am sure that whatever the Pac-12 comes up with--the B1G is lying in weeds saying, "we can beat that, and yet it will be cheaper than a full new member."

Nah, I'm sure it will go well.

giphy.gif

These GIFS are killing me! Laugh out loud funny including the prior ball buster.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, Rufus said:

The B1G has yet to announce its scheduling format for 2024, including protected rivalries.  There is no reason for this to have dragged on so long unless something big was going to happen first. 

Considering the 2023 season is still about 6 months away there really isn't much of a rush to announce anything. 

I know the SEC has announced their rivalries and format change but the B1G can really wait until like January of next year to announce this stuff publicly and be fine. 

There is probably tons of stuff going on behind closed doors right now. 

As much as I like the Pac... Oregon needs to do what's best for Oregon.

Pres Scholz, AD Mullens, and Mr. Knight need to be the ones who decide in which conference this may be.

If it were me I would be demanding at least 40 million form the Pac to stay... and I would be asking the B1G for 45 million for the first 3 years. Then full share... But, luckily no one is asking me.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On the one  hand, I'd hate to see it. Basically, I hate change. And I don't want to see the demise of the PAC-however-many.

On the other hand, it could mean games for Oregon would start at a reasonable hour, since the biggies in the big would not want their games starting at 10 pm  or later their time.

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

We spend months talking how bad things will be for USC and UCLA in terms of travel & playing at exotic locales like Piscataway, Evanston and Iowa in the dead of winter, THEN say that they'd take a seat at the conference table for less than full share.

They are going to do what they want (regardless of what I think) but I'd tell the Big x  to pound sand and stick with the Pac. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/27/2023 at 7:12 PM, MTdux said:

We spend months talking how bad things will be for USC and UCLA in terms of travel & playing at exotic locales like Piscataway, Evanston and Iowa in the dead of winter, THEN say that they'd take a seat at the conference table for less than full share.

They are going to do what they want (regardless of what I think) but I'd tell the Big x  to pound sand and stick with the Pac. 

As I noted above I believe travel could be much reduced by using a pod system. A possible benefit of going with the B1G now is not being the beta site for a streaming entity. Although streaming could turn out to be positive and profitable.

On 3/27/2023 at 6:14 PM, David Marsh said:

Considering the 2023 season is still about 6 months away there really isn't much of a rush to announce anything. 

I know the SEC has announced their rivalries and format change but the B1G can really wait until like January of next year to announce this stuff publicly and be fine. 

There is probably tons of stuff going on behind closed doors right now. 

What's the SEC's bottom line? 8 or 9 conference games? And the permanent opponents?

I thought this matter was still under discussion in the SEC.

I will believe it when I see it…

Until then, speculation can be fun:

If UO and UW to B1G,

Then the 4 corner schools bolt to Big12.

Then, remaining 4 PAC merge with MWC. Redefine divisions.

SDSU dominates football and hoops and goes to playoff.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:33 PM, Jon Joseph said:

What's the SEC's bottom line? 8 or 9 conference games? And the permanent opponents?

I thought this matter was still under discussion in the SEC.

Looks like the SEC is going to 9 with 3 perminant opponents. 

Saban made a big fuss about the ones Bama got. Bama gets Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee. 

Then they rotate through the rest of the conference. Which is good so that basically if a player stays at their school for 4 years (I know that's silly in this day and age) they get to play everyone twice, home and away. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A little suspicious about the timing of this 'leak'. Just as the conference is perhaps finalizing tv deal. Could this 'leak' help persuade others to concede unequal distribution sharing to push forward on a deal? A deal that is suppose to be coming any week now. Just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's kind of a very optimistic outlook, but with the Matt Damon & Ben Affleck movie "Air" coming out on April 5th, I can see Nike, Phil Knight, and in some way...Oregon becoming really hot on the national scene.

If it could get the interest of B1G decisions makers to move the needle for Oregon ever so slightly, I think it might be enough to get us into the B1G sooner rather than later.

Sometimes you've got to think B1G.

air-SMAN_UT_00405R_rgb-e1679874745848.jpeg

Edited by 2002duck
  • Let’s hope! 1

On 3/27/2023 at 9:19 PM, David Marsh said:

Looks like the SEC is going to 9 with 3 perminant opponents. 

Saban made a big fuss about the ones Bama got. Bama gets Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee. 

Then they rotate through the rest of the conference. Which is good so that basically if a player stays at their school for 4 years (I know that's silly in this day and age) they get to play everyone twice, home and away. 

Happy to see the SEC going to 9 conference games. Think it is weak for the ACC to stay at 8 conference games. 

I guess that A+M, Texas, and Oklahoma are permanent opponents? 

Thanks David.

On 3/28/2023 at 12:36 AM, cartm25 said:

There’s value to being the top dog in a weak conference (see Clemson).

If the Ducks can only get ~$40M for 5-6 years in the B1G, then I would flip the bird to that insulting offer and stay in the PAC 10 for $30-$40M and a much easier to road to the CFP.

Downside is entering a conference with two true, established powers (tOSU and Mich) and I’m afraid the new adopted P12 teams would be like the Tenn/TA&M/Ole Miss’s to the Bama/GA’s.

On the positive side, I have a dream to go to one of the Penn St. “White-Out” games, and I’d love nothing more than to experience that in an all-Black, Yellow “O” Oregon shirt.

I think it is more like 3 when you add Penn State but Oregon defeated Ohio State the last time it played the Buckeyes in Columbus and certainly would not play all 3 in the regular season. And it would on occasion play one of the 3 in Eugene. 

I expect if it was just Oregon and UW being added that Oregon would play UW, SC, and UCLA every season. 

Go to a six-team pod model (Nebraska and Iowa) and travel would not be all that bad. Especially if the pods were 'weighted' for non-revenue sports.

Clemson id in a long-term terrible media deal and along with FSU will be off to the SEC ASAP.

I think the Ducks would start out closer to 45M to 50M a season with all games through a six-year period beginning in 2024, on linear TV (FOX, CBS, NBC, and the B1G Network) and great coverage as a member of the B1G Network.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 3/27/2023 at 10:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I guess that A+M, Texas, and Oklahoma are permanent opponents? 

Well by the sound of it each team has their own set of permanent opponents. Here is the link to what each team's permanent opponents look like.

FANSIDED.COM

Oklahoma and Texas will be joining the SEC a year ahead of schedule beginning on July 1, 2024. By the grace of god...

They used a formula to determine the "best" match-ups. They are trying to preserve some rivalries while they also took a team's win-loss ratio into account to try and "balance" out the schedule so no one was caught off with a murderer's row. However... Tennessee has been very bad over the last ten years and are now turning it around so you can imagine why Bama might be a bit upset about having Auburn, LSU and Tenn... when Auburn is currently the worst of the lot in that list but they would have actually been rated as one of the better programs.

Oh well... Bama's tears are almost as good as Husky tears.

• Applause 2

This article discusses possible additions to the B1G:

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Matt Hayes makes his weekly trek around the Big Ten, checking in on Michigan's quest to land a 5-star...

4. The slog schedule process

The further Big Ten officials delve into a new schedule format, the more exposed is the reality of USC and UCLA alone on the West Coast.

Officials continue to work through format proposals — 3 permanent opponents and 6 rotating is still the likely choice — even though it could all be scrapped once a new commissioner is hired and if expansion is revisited.

Multiple Big Ten officials expressed concern about travel logistics with USC and UCLA, and earlier this month told Saturday Tradition that athletic scheduling/travel and academic “stress” for all student athletes at all member institutions (not just football players) must be addressed — and that USC and UCLA can’t be left “on a geographic island.”

The Big Ten and the SEC both will likely announce in May new schedule formats for their 16-team leagues in 2024. The Big Ten schedule could be reworked — and allow more flexibility for USC and UCLA — should the conference add 2 (Oregon, Washington) or more teams (Stanford, Cal) in expansion.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the Ducks do join the Big Ten, I'll be happy for them and at least know that their decision was the right one for them, but I'll really miss the Pac-12, I saw the new article saying why Pac-12 survival is a big interest but I doubt it will manage to survive, sadly.

The Pac was one of the most interesting conferences and I disagree over the fact it was weak, but as I said, it isn't our decision, it's up to Oregon to decide where they go if the Big Ten offers them a spot.

I personally would be excited for our future conference matchups against teams like Ohio State and be able to at least keep USC and UCLA in the schedule (hopefully Washington is brought in too), and no matter which scheduling model is brought in, I hope the Ducks are welcomed in a good way to the conference, tho I'm aware the move is not guaranteed.

Just for fun…..

How do you see Oregon stacking up with the 16 B1G schools for each sport?

Men’s Sports:

Baseball 

Basketball

Cross Country

Football

Golf

Tennis

Track and Field - Indoor

Track and Field - Outdoor

Women’s Sports:

Basketball

Cross Country 

Golf

Lacrosse

Soccer

Softball

Tennis

Track and Field - Indoor

Volleyball 

Edited by Smith72
Typo

B1G sports that Oregon does not sponsor…

Men’s Sports:

Gymnastics 

Ice Hockey

Lacrosse

Soccer

Swimming & Diving

Wrestling 

Women’s Sports:

Field Hockey 

Gymnastics

Rowing

Swimming & Diving 

Sports Oregon sponsors that the B1G does not:

Men’s Sports:  None

Women’s Sports:

Acrobatics and Tumbling  

Beach Volleyball 

• Oh no! 1

On 3/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, Rufus said:

Just for fun…..

How do you see Oregon stacking up with the 16 B1G schools for each sport?

Men’s Sports:

Baseball 

Basketball

Cross Country

Football

Golf

Tennis

Track and Field - Indoor

Women’s Sports:

Basketball

Cross Country 

Golf

Lacrosse

Soccer

Softball

Tennis

Track and Field - Indoor

Volleyball 

I think Oregon will be doing just fine in all sports, the only thing that would massively change are the travel distances.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon and Washington will not be offered to become members of the Big 10 this year, or in the near future.  Unfortunately the comments regarding 2 megaconfernces are correct, I would hope they are wrong, but I don't think so.  The 2 conferences will be composed of 20 teams each (most likely).  Oregon and Washington most definitely will be involved, and I would also guess Stanford.  Cal would be questionable unless the administration changes its attitude toward athletics.  You can bet that Florida St., Miami, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State will be involved and a few others.

If the commissioner of the Pac12 can come up with a reasonable TV contract I think Oregon is much better off in the Pac.  I know that the younger members of this group will have a stroke at my next comments, but Oregon's chances of winning a national championship as members of the Big 10 is not going to happen in the near future.  If you look at who has won the conference championship in the last 20 years it's Michigan and Ohio State, once Penn St.  The Ducks may not have the TV revenue that the Big 10 and SEC schools have, but fortunately they have a major donor who will make up a lot of the difference.  I think that Oregon and Washington will dominate the Pac in the future years.  I do feel that the long term outlook for College sports is not good thanks to TV, but unless something drastic happens it's  not going to change.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just found where the OG thread is (I would say the site but I want everyone to be safe), and I see that it's being replied to constantly, tho sadly I can't see anything due to the site being locked behind a subscription.

Other than the concern over poor usc and ucla having to travel so much, how has anything changed in regards to UO and UW Going to the BIG?

The BIG didn't want the schools because they didn't bring enough value. They didnt move the meter in July, so how do they move the meter now?

Some of the BIG presidents expressed concern that they didnt want to destroy another conference completely. Have they changed their minds?

tOSU and USC will vote no on the invite. The Ducks currently dominate usc and tOSU doesnt want a legitimate challenger. It's bad enough that Michigan has won 2 in a row. tOSU will not want to come to Autzen. The conference is 2 legit teams and 12 wannabees. With 2 more wannabees set to join. The Ducks are a legit athletic department that will challenge on many fronts.

If the,SEC makes a move, in some fashion for Clemson and FSU thrn the BIG may counter with UO and uw.

But what do I know?

On 3/27/2023 at 2:35 PM, Jon Joseph said:

West - Oregon, UW, Nebraska, Iowa, SC, and UCLA. 

As I live in Kansas City, I selfishly would love to see this.  It's a 3 hr drive to Lincoln & a 5 hr drive to Iowa for me.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just DON"T Do It.

Not good for the "student athlete".  Oregon money will always be there.  Might benefit the "athlete-sometime-goes-to-class-just-here-for-possible-pro-career-and-chicks student"

Some great insights, but just give me football, and my Ducks!

tasmanian-devil-taz.gif

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Applause 1

Ask yourself this one question.  How come the Big 10 has not finalized the schedule for 2024?

We are hearing, 9 conference games with 2 protected rivals and no divisions. This would allow you to play everyone in a 2 year cycle.  How difficult can it be?  Yet they keep kicking the can down the road.

We are also hearing that there might be another media window BUT the media party does not want to move until Warren is gone and there is a new commissioner.

I don't believe they are done with expansion.  I believe there is still a window of opportunity BUT they also don't want to be responsible for the death of a conference.  We saw that with the ACC and the Big East.

Just my thoughts.

Someone mentioned that only Ohio State and Michigan have won B1G titles in the last 20 years.  Not true.  Here are past champions:

B1G Championship Game Era:
2022 - Michigan

2021- Michigan

2020 - Ohio State

2019 - Ohio State

2018 - Ohio State 

2017 - Ohio State

2016 - Penn State

2015 - Michigan State 

2014 - Ohio State

2013 - Michigan State

2012 - Wisconsin

2011 - Wisconsin 

Pre-Championship Game Era (11 members)

2010 - Michigan State, Wisconsin

2009 - Ohio State

2008 - Ohio State, Penn State

2007 - Ohio State

2006 - Ohio State

2005 - Ohio State, Penn State

2004 -  Iowa, Michigan 

2003 - Michigan

2002 - Iowa, Ohio State 

2001 - Illinois 

2000 - Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue 

In the decade prior to the B1G Championship Game, only Indiana and Minnesota did not win a championship.  

Edited by Rufus
  • Great post! 1

I still think that the Pac-12 would survive even if we and Washington go to the Big Ten, but only if they add four extra teams and no other team leaves.

I've been thinking that the options would be San Diego State, SMU, UNLV (even tho they have been doing poorly in football) and another AAC member to be a travel companion for the Mustangs (hopefully Tulane).

Losing Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA will decimate them Pac-12. I don’t believe the conference can survive being gutted to that extent.

It will be very difficult for me to root for the Ducks if they choose to bolt. Maybe I could get over it…..maybe not.

It’s a money grab….I get it. But it still stinks.

• Thanks 1

Anyone think ticket sales would drop if Oregon flees to the Big?

I don’t think ticket sales would drop. There are plenty of B1G alumni in the Pacific Northwest that will buy up any available tickets.  And the fan bases for several B1G schools travel well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Off-topic but I wish we could make a thread about possible movements that don't have to relate to us, like for example Fresno State to the Big 12, which would be pretty neat imo.

I also just had flashbacks reading about an article (that I think was deleted since it was published in about 2019-20) about Oregon and some other Pac schools attempting to join the Big 12 long before Oklahoma and Texas left for the SEC, it was published back when Larry Scott was still the Pac commissioner and I still remember a line saying that Larry would not allow that to happen, I also remember reading that article while I was in the hospital.

There was a proposal back then involving the Four Corners schools (Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado) moving to the B12, which of course gained steam when USC and UCLA left.

You are new here, so you would not know of the TONS of articles posted about that topic, and subsequent posts written about it over the last year.

As new articles and news comes available, we welcome threads to discuss them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, Charles Fischer said:

You are new here, so you would not know of the TONS of articles posted about that topic, and subsequent posts written about it over the last year.

As new articles and news comes available, we welcome threads to discuss them.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I love how people here are

• Applause 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, DUCKED said:

Losing Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA will decimate them Pac-12. I don’t believe the conference can survive being gutted to that extent.

It will be very difficult for me to root for the Ducks if they choose to bolt. Maybe I could get over it…..maybe not.

It’s a money grab….I get it. But it still stinks.

I agree that it stinks but in big business, you evolve or die in bankruptcy or simply fade away. Big businesses that are not properly managed fail. And the management of the Pac-12 has been ruinous for over a decade. 

You reap what you sow; however, the Oregon brand should survive and thrive so long as the Oregon powers-that-be are 1st looking out for Oregon.

IMO it stinks even further that the #7 CFB in viewership in 2022 is even part of this mess.

Do y'all believe that if we and Washington join the Big Ten, the conference decides to stay put at 18 teams or they decide to add 2 more random teams to reach 20?

Thomalister1291, being here in Big 10 country.  Specualtion/rumor is that the Big 10 will eventually expand to about 24 plus schools.  People believe 6 total from the west coast with an additional 4 plus from the ACC.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:04 PM, airspace said:

Thomalister1291, being here in Big 10 country.  Specualtion/rumor is that the Big 10 will eventually expand to about 24 plus schools.  People believe 6 total from the west coast with an additional 4 plus from the ACC.

If that rumor becomes true I believe the Big Ten will become the new Southern Conference, which at one point actually had more than 20 teams, I know that UO and UW are the most obvious candidates but I wonder what other schools could the Big Ten add, apparently they want Notre Dame to join, and I wonder which ones are the ACC schools being considered, I saw an article saying that Florida State and Miami could join the Big Ten, tho I believe the Hurricanes are more likely than the Seminoles since FSU wants to join the SEC and I'll believe they will turn down Miami, leaving no choice but to apply to the Big Ten.

Thomasllister1291, speculation is Oregon, Washington, California & Stanford from the west.

From the SE, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Florida State with others of interest being Duke, Miami and believe it or not Clemson.

With Clemson, there are some youtube videos and other articles talking about going to the Big 10 vs SEC.  Clemson (Admin) understands what the Big 10 can do academically for them. They have said that their values better align (being in the ACC) with the Big 10 than the SEC.  They also believe South Carolina will block them.  There only hope with the SEC is if the SEC wants to keep the Big 10 out of the south.

Florida State has made a lot of noise of wanting to go to the Big 10.  Their president is from Harvard and they have poured lots of money into expanding research.

Both Clemson and FSU fans would prefer the SEC BUT their Administration prefers the Big 10.

If you look at all of the schools, except for Clemson, Florida State and Clemson, they are all AAU.  And those three are making efforts to gain AAU.  People believe FSU will get AAU within 10 years (don't know) but tells you what they are doing.

As far as your analogy of the Southern Conference.  I would agree, but the big difference is the Big 10 appears to be searching for like minded universities.  I believe eventually, as Jack Swarbrick (ND AD) said of the SEC and Big 10 are 2 competing solar systems. And I believe the Big 10 will eventually split off and have their own association of like minded schools. 24  to 32 schools.

Meant to say Miami the second time not Clemson.