Rufus

Pac-12 Media Deal - “Nothing to Suggest” a Deal is Coming Anytime Soon

This just keeps dragging on and on.  

I’m not optimistic about what a final deal will look like.  

Not even clicking anything from CBS/Dennis Dodd.  They've been beating the drum for the P12 demise for months now.

At this rate I'm sure that Oregon will indeed leave the conference, but the question is, when?

I'm sure that the Ducks may leave this year but won't join their new conference until 2025 or something.

You have to consider the writer; he has been exposed on this forum as one who does NOT use sourced reporting, and deals in rumor.

He is a tool looking to hurt the PAC-12 at every opportunity.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/30/2023 at 10:14 AM, Charles Fischer said:

You have to consider the writer; he has been exposed on this forum as one who does NOT use sourced reporting, and deals in rumor.

Yeah, I don't know why did I comment that thing about the Ducks indeed leaving, maybe we should do something to this thread?

Edited by Thomallister1291

Who in the hell made Robbins, president of a school that has never won a football title in the Pac conference, the spokesman for the Pac-10?

And why does this buffoon keep speaking with Dennis Dodd? Dodd for some reason seems gleeful about the possibility of the Pac-10 disappearing. 

With 'partners' like Robbins, and Crow at ASU, Stanford, and CAL, why wouldn't Oregon take a lesser revenue share and join the B1G?

GK keeping mum about a new media deal is no longer IMO helping the conference. George, what is the hold-up in finalizing a deal? Stop making this process feel like attending Waiting for Godot night after night.

Confused Question Mark GIF by Preity G  Zinta

• Applause 1

On 3/30/2023 at 12:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agree with the spot on comment Charles; however, Dodd has a direct pipeline into a fool of a Pac-10 president. It's not like AZ president Robbins is an undisclosed source.

Robbins is on the loose and it appears to me that Pac-10 Commissioner has lost control of the process? What kind of leader is GK? He was sucker punched by FOX, Kevin Warren, UCLA, USC and the new B12 commissioner. He cannot trust a board member(s) in the middle of a negotiation on which hangs the balance of the conference to keep their mouths shut. He has developed no national reporting source to counter the assertions od Dodd.

In a similar situation I do not see an SEC president anointing himself as the conference spokesperson instead of Greg Sankey.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:13 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

At this rate I'm sure that Oregon will indeed leave the conference, but the question is, when?

I'm sure that the Ducks may leave this year but won't join their new conference until 2025 or something.

On the other hand, the conference could leave the Ducks?

Love to know how Oregon voted when the Pac-12 could have eliminated the B12 and been the major player in the Central time zone.

For what it’s worth, Dodd appears to be firmly entrenched in B12 country. A graduate of Missouri as is his daughter, and his son attends Kansas. He currently lives in Kansas, has worked for the Kansas City Star and written two books; one on Missouri basketball, and the other on the formation of the B12.

Draw your own conclusions.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/30/2023 at 9:16 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

Yeah, I don't know why did I comment that thing about the Ducks indeed leaving, maybe we should do something to this thread?

No sweat-you had good intentions, and we are getting discussion!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/30/2023 at 12:54 PM, Washington Waddler said:

For what it’s worth, Dodd appears to be firmly entrenched in B12 country. A graduate of Missouri as is his daughter, and his son attends Kansas. He currently lives in Kansas, has worked for the Kansas City Star and written two books; one on Missouri basketball, and the other on the formation of the B12.

Draw your own conclusions.

Great info on Dodd but Mizzou is of course in the SEC. 

Something must have been done by Larry to tick DD off.

I know a number of 'journalists' who cover CFB and CBB nationally were not enamored with the Pac-12 deciding not to add the orphaned B12 teams while having the hubris to call the Pac-12 'an elite club.'

PR-wise the conference has done nothing for over a decade to compete on the PR front. Oregon is the exception with the NIKE uniform changes and the poster of Joey Harrington in NYC.

Not so long ago the Pac-12 Network had no coverage of signing day.

Dodd is over-the-line with his Pac-10 media coverage but where is the dissenting word from our commissioner? We hear from the president of  Arizona, the president of ASU, Utah's AD but the Pac commissioner is as silent as the Sphinx. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Robbins is an attention Whooie, and Dodds is his handler...

• Great post! 1

I’ve been of the mindset to give GK the benefit of the doubt. He inherited a mess. However, he has made critical mistakes that can’t be blamed on LS, namely his reactions after USC and UCLA announced they were moving to the B1G.  

When the Big 12 was left for dead in the summer of 2021, they had a few bad news cycles. However, they quickly rebounded.  Within a few months, they were viewed as trendy based on how they responded to disaster.  

The PAC 12 is now 9 months in of daily bad news cycles with no end in sight.  At some point, you have to place blame on the leader of the organization.  He has no control of his narrative.  The Big 12 commissioner controls his conference’s narrative.  From this standpoint, GK holds the blame here.  Honestly, could even LS have done worse in his response over the last 9 months?  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/30/2023 at 9:47 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Robbins is on the loose and it appears to me that Pac-10 Commissioner has lost control of the process?

Great point.  We have had no leaks about the process, what everyone knows, etc....until now.  Robbins is an unprofessional loose cannon, and someone needs to tell him to...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

We hear from the president of  Arizona, the president of ASU, Utah's AD but the Pac commissioner is as silent as the Sphinx. 

Like Dillingham and Lanning on 4th down...."we need an adult in the room."

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great info on Dodd but Mizzou is of course in the SEC

Understood. My view point is from that of being a disenfranchised purist; something akin to expatriates who can never stop dreaming of the old country?  Like many old Nebraska, Colorado, and Missouri fans, my guess is Dodd harbors a hidden nostalgia for his origins. 

• Thumbs Up 1

At this point I've pretty much tuned out all the news regarding the Pac12 media deal.  Whatever happens will happen and when it happens I'll tune back in.  Until then I just peruse articles about recruiting, spring practice, and observations about how the offense/defense will be for the Fall.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

As mentioned before, none of us, including sports writers, bloggers and fools know any facts. Just the people in the room. The negotiators, lawyers, GK and the Presidents.

Perhaps there are no leaks because there is no news to leak. If a school President says there is no imminent deal, well, i believe him. 

i feel confident that OBD's will be playing football games in September of 2024 in Autzen. What linear channel or streaming channel they will be on will be determined. What conference they may be in will be determined.And i certainly have no say in those decisions.

I only control being a Duck fan. And getting to discuss all this info or disinfo on this great Forum.

And DL, his staff anf players will determine the outcome on the field.

GO Ducks.........

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do not trust the source; this is the guy who said that he heard ahead of time that the B1G was going to invite USC and OREGONReally?  And Robbins said nothing to anyone?  We were all blindsided by the departure except this mouth?

Some who come up short just want your attention...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/31/2023 at 10:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I do not trust the source; this is the guy who said that he heard ahead of time that the B1G was going to invite USC and OREGONReally?  And Robbins said nothing to anyone?  We were all blindsided by the departure except this mouth?

Some who come up short just want your attention...

giphy.gif

I agree, if the Big Ten was trying to invite USC they logically should have also brought UCLA if they at least wanted to preserve a rivalry, there's no way USC and Oregon were the OG teams, it would have hurt the rivalries like USC-UCLA and Oregon-Washington/OSU

Larry Scott virtually destroyed the PAC12, and did so with complicity of the PAC12 presidents. The same foolish presidents hired GK. The bar for the PAC has been progressively moved lower for years with NO ONE taking responsibility. What exactly has GK accomplished besides not being Larry Scott?

As I've said before, Oregon needs to look after Oregon. And (short of some miraculous media deal) align itself with a conference that understands the complex landscape of D1 sports and media. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2023 at 1:12 PM, anyotherduck said:

Larry Scott virtually destroyed the PAC12, and did so with complicity of the PAC12 presidents. The same foolish presidents hired GK. The bar for the PAC has been progressively moved lower for years with NO ONE taking responsibility. What exactly has GK accomplished besides not being Larry Scott?

As I've said before, Oregon needs to look after Oregon. And (short of some miraculous media deal) align itself with a conference that understands the complex landscape of D1 sports and media. 

He has done the no-brainers. Shutting down the San Francisco location and moving the Network facilities into cheaper digs. At the same time he for some unknown reason hired an Assistant Commissioner. And I'd still like to know what if anything Merton Hanks has done to earn his salary.

He was sucker punched by the B1G, Kevin Warren, Carol Folt, and the new B12 commissioner. He IMO has been asleep at the switch. He failed in regards to mission 1, keeping the LA schools on board.

On 3/31/2023 at 1:33 PM, Jon Joseph said:

He has done the no-brainers. Shutting down the San Francisco location and moving the Network facilities into cheaper digs. At the same time he for some unknown reason hired an Assistant Commissioner. And I'd still like to know what if anything Merton Hanks has done to earn his salary.

He was sucker punched by the B1G, Kevin Warren, Carol Folt, and the new B12 commissioner. He IMO has been asleep at the switch. He failed in regards to mission 1, keeping the LA schools on board.

Agree on the "no-brainers", but that pretty much counts as 'not being Larry Scott'. As for being "sucker punched" by the B1G, Carol Folt and the B12; this seems more like a case of stakeholders putting their own interests first. I think USC/UCLA knew that GK was weak and not up to task, cutting out at the most opportune time. I might even speculate that this move may have long been in the works given the sad state of the P12.

While it seems unlikely, GK might secure some kind of media deal and keep the P12 together. If I were Oregon I wouldn't wait around to find out.

Go Ducks!