Badmotherduck

Te Hina Hits the Transfer Portal

Seems odd that Graves losses so many quality guards to the transfer portal. A lot of scoring has left this year. 

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles

Reports: Oregon G Te-Hina Paopao enters the transfer portal

Junior guard Te-Hina Paopao has played her final minutes for the Ducks, as her intentions to enter the transfer portal were reported by The Oregonian's James Crepea.

Paopao's transfer is the second piece of news surrounding an Oregon star guard in the past week, as Endyia Rogers announced her decision to enter the 2023 WNBA Draft. 

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon guard Te-Hina Paopao enters the transfer portal

Oregon women’s basketball guard Te-Hina Paopao enters transfer portal

The Oregon women’s basketball team is losing a second starting guard.

Te-Hina Paopao has entered the transfer portal, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.

Paopao, a third-year sophomore, averaged 13.1 points, a career-high 4.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists for the Ducks this season. She has two years of eligibility remaining.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Paopao, a third-year sophomore, averaged 13.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists for the Ducks this season.

Other guards are seniors or Roger's is going pro, but it's interesting the #1 class of all 5-stars, only TeHe lasted, and now she's gone.  Something has been off.  Sabrina was larger than we realized and we all know how big she was?

• Applause 1

As an Oregon fan, I feel an inherent responsibility to try and understand the double-edged sword that Nike investments in the athletic department have become. The good news it’s a phenomenal sales tool for coaches in the recruiting process. The bad news is it’s a phenomenal sales tool for coaches who may end up not knowing what to do with all these newly acquired riches.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This one's a head-scratcher for me. Paopao is the one of those five fabulous freshmen that's been a starter from Day #1. She's had individual accolades in the Pac-12 as a Duck as well. 

On the other hand, it looks like the Ducks were not going to be serious Pac-12 contenders next year--much less national contenders--so it seems likely to me that she just has her eyes on transferring to a program that's on the verge of a title run who's in need of a point guard to get them there. Don't know if I can blame her for that sentiment, if that's what her motivation is.

I guess we'll know more when she signs on with another program.

• Applause 1

Te-Hina leaving after Endyia announced that she was going into the WNBA draft doesn't surprise me at all! 

Once upon a time Te-Hina seemed to want to be a point guard. 

Watching her this year, I thought she was very comfortable playing the 2 guard and leaving the point to Endyia and occasionally Chance.

While I appreciate Te-Hina, I also believe that anyone who wants to be somewhere else for whatever reason needs to leave! 

Hope she gets what she is looking for. 

Next years team with who we have coming back and who we currently have coming in and who will still be recruited, makes me feel like we can be very competitive while still being very young. 

I honestly believe the secret sauce will end up being how well these Ladies want to be Coached and how much time they are willing to put into their game. 

I look no further than the inside players, the potential for those young Ladies is incredible! 

With that said, they need to be Coached to develop their talent. P.K. should dominate the paint, but she needs to get in shape and learn how to play big, strong and shoot with a purpose. 

Grace needs to get healthy and learn to harness her incredible work ethic into playing under control! She is a talent that needs to learn how to take what the defense gives her and also learn the old adage, go quick but don't hurry. 

Kennedy also needs to get healthy and then work with some good post Coaching! 

I believe Kennedy could be the best Center since Ruthy! She has a tremendous amount of talent and definitely can run the floor. 

Love to see her work with a Coach that teaches her that blocking every shot is not what is needed and have her learn that picking up 3 fouls to go with 3 blocks is not a good tradeoff. 

Just some lengthy thoughts, much more to say about our current and future guards, but I will say that Chance can end up being a great player. 

I truly believe in our players and our Coach! 

• Thumbs Up 2

A very Graves situation. 

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2023 at 9:57 PM, Badmotherduck said:

Seems odd that Graves losses so many quality guards to the transfer portal. A lot of scoring has left this year. 

I am alarmed very at how many quality players have left to the transfer portal in the two years.  What is going on?  Is Graves alienating his players somehow?  Did Marc Campbell leaving have anything to do with it?  I have liked Graves, but something appears to be very wrong.  Bad culture?  Poor coaching?  The players who left are good -- they all started on very good teams, and had productive years:

Taylor Mikesell (#6 tOSU)  -- 17.1 points  /  3.1 rebounds  /  2.5 assists per game

Jaz Shelley (Nebraska) – 14.6  /  4.8  /  6.1

Angela Dugalic (#13 UCLA) – knee injury

Sydney Parrish (#7 Indiana) – 12.1  /  5.4  /  1.9

Maddie Scherr  (Kentucky) --  11.6  /  5.1  /  4.3

Kylee Watson (#11 Notre Dame) – 6.7  /  4.3  /  0.9

That’s a total of 62.1 ppg  /  22.7 rpg /  15.7 apg  that left before this year.

Now this year Jenna Isai and Te-Hina... (13.1  /  4.2  /  3.3)

Why did they leave?  Does anyone know?  A Grave and puzzling matter indeed....

• Thumbs Up 1

It bothers me to, but look at LSU,  they have 9 players this year from I believe the portal. At least they are new to the program! Angel Reese came after playing at a very good Maryland program. Listening to her in interviews, I can only imagine that Maryland is glad she left. 

I've looked at several rosters across the country and they are littered with players seeking out that greener grass! 

As for Coach Graves I think the players this year really like him and he and his staff are just like many programs trying to make the best of this current free for all in College Athletics! 

Honestly I wouldn't want to try and Coach in this new Era of the Wild, wild West! 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:57 AM, Badmotherduck said:

Why compete when you can transfer?

On 4/4/2023 at 6:41 PM, EOFan said:

It bothers me to, but look at LSU,  they have 9 players this year from I believe the portal. At least they are new to the program! Angel Reese came after playing at a very good Maryland program. Listening to her in interviews, I can only imagine that Maryland is glad she left. 

I've looked at several rosters across the country and they are littered with players seeking out that greener grass! 

As for Coach Graves I think the players this year really like him and he and his staff are just like many programs trying to make the best of this current free for all in College Athletics! 

Honestly I wouldn't want to try and Coach in this new Era of the Wild, wild West! 

Yes but LSU has an elite coach.

• Applause 1