NJDuck

N'Faly Dante Announces Return for 2023 Season with the Ducks

One of the best pieces of news that Dana Altman and the Oregon Ducks could hope to see finally came out on Monday morning.

Veteran big-man N’Faly Dante announced via social media that he would officially be returning for the 2023-24 season in Eugene and looking after some “unfinished business.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

N’Faly Dante is giving it one more year in Eugene. Huge win for Dana Altman and the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow!  Great news.  

Surprising, but probably a good decision.  Nobody is seeing him as a top 15 pick, so have another season like this season or a better season and he could be a top 15 pick.

• Thumbs Up 1

There were a number of games where he dominated this last year, and I cannot imagine his intensity won't be at a much higher level this year.  Dana's most important "recruit" for one year?  Whew!

Oregon fans after his
announcement...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Very surprised considering his injury history, I'm guessing he wasn't hearing great news from the NBA scouts.  

On 4/17/2023 at 11:29 AM, Tandaian said:

Surprising, but probably a good decision.  Nobody is seeing him as a top 15 pick, so have another season like this season or a better season and he could be a top 15 pick.

I have not seen him be anything other than a late 2nd round pick. Which is too bad, I mean....hellooooo?!

He's my favorite Duck, and I've been expecting this good news for a while. Even if he has a similar season to last year's, he should be drafted for sure. 

YES!!!

Having the twin towers next year will be amazing.

Glad Dante is returning for another year and I hope more Ducks follow his example.

Is it just me or did the offense seem to loosen up quite a bit without Dante and Richardson in the NIT?  Many have pointed out Richardson's struggles during a tough senior season, but I'm not convinced that Altman has had much luck incorporating a "big man" into the offense who struggles to shoot with range and stretch the floor.  In rhythm, Dante has excellent footwork in the post and a smooth finish.  He's more polished offensively in the block than any big I can remember, but not quite as athletic as Jordan Bell or Kenny Wooten and can't stretch the floor like Chris Bucher or Bol Bol.

He's a unique player for Oregon and could be the premier post play in college basketball next year barring another injury.  I love watching him play and hope he really takes a leadership role next year.  That could include keeping the offense moving around him by making quicker decisions, becoming a better passer out of the post, and demanding the ball when he has an advantage.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Likely not a popular opinion, but I truly have mixed feelings about this decision. Certainly, Dante made impressive strides in his game over the past few years. He was clearly a deserved All-PAC12 performer.

BUT, as "mikethehiker" mentioned above, the Ducks' offense over the past two years has been pretty painful to watch most of the time. Certainly, the team's lack of consistent three-point shooters has been part of the problem. But, I also think the game has moved past the era of big, strong centers anchored in the key waiting for an entry pass.  

And, having seen Bittle come out of his shell and really begin to blossom during the NIT games, I wonder if he'll take a step back next year when playing power forward alongside Dante instead of being a mobile post man. Dante is a much better low post scorer than Bittle right now, and a better rebounder. Bittle is already a better defender than Dante in my opinion. He's a better outside shooter, and a far better passer. 

So, we'll see how things work out. Hopefully, Dana will pick up a couple more excellent outside shooters from the portal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He and Bittle are both better as 5's, so the true freshman replacing Ware will hopefully develop quick, and DA can use all the bigs a bit more situationally to some degree.  Get the Guards and wings to shoot better and let's go!

Twitter Reaction: Duck fans react to N'Faly Dante's decision to return to Oregon for 2023 season

While things have been relatively quiet on the transfer front for Dana Altman and the Oregon Ducks, the team received some of the best news that they could have hoped for on Monday morning.

Veteran center N’Faly Dante announced that he would be returning to the team for at least one more season in Eugene with the Ducks.

After having a career year in 2022, averaging 13.4 points per game and 8.4 rebounds, it became clear that Dante was not only the best player on the team, but arguably the best center that the Ducks have had under Dana Altman.

With Dante’s announced return, the roster is shaping up for the 2023 season in Eugene. There are now seven guys who we have confirmed to be in Eugene, and a handful of others, both returners and potential transfers, who could fill out the roster.

The bit of good news sparked some joy online from Duck fans. Here are some of the reactions.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

N’Faly Dante is returning to Oregon for one more season. Duck fans are rightfully excited.

...and maybe why Ware hit the Portal???

• Thumbs Up 2