Duck 1972

Petersen ? ? ?

Has anybody else wondered if we could have got Chris Petersen as our HFC coach? I bet he'd still be coaching and we might have won it all in 2017. God I wanted him for our coach. Does anyone know exactly why he quit?

What I was able to discern is that he really didn't want the Oregon job. I'll go with him being better than Taggart, but since the Taggart mess got us Cristobal, I feel like it worked out. As far as why he bailed on Washington? Seems like burnout. Facing the inevitability of never winning the North again. 

giphy.gif

I'm fine with him not coming to Oregon... again he took over Washington in 2014 which was the year that Oregon made the playoff and won a semi-final game. By the way... Helfrich achieved MORE at Oregon than Petersen did at Washington.

Oregon under Helfrich won... 1 Alamo Bowl, 1 Rose Bowl and a Heisman (yes... having Mariota helped a TON)

Washington under Petersen won... Heart of Dallas Bowl and Las Vegas Bowl...

Oregon under Cristobal has won so far... 1 Redbox Bowl and 1 Rose Bowl

Oregon has won MAJOR bowl games... Peterson and Washington have at best been invited but not won them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Petersen is a great offensive coach but an average recruiter at the very best.  Mario is an exceptional recruiter with an  O line specialty,  that makes sound coaching hires.  If Moorhead can sculpt what Mario can recruit,  Oregon is stronger for not having Petersen is my thinking. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duck 1972 said:

Has anybody else wondered if we could have got Chris Petersen as our HFC coach? I bet he'd still be coaching and we might have won it all in 2017. God I wanted him for our coach. Does anyone know exactly why he quit?

Hindsight is 20/20, Helfrich was the smart choice at the time. Why would you upset what was going on?

Why he quit, I know this is second hand, but I heard he woke up one day, realized he was coaching the huskies, and questioned the very essence of what he had been doing up to that point in his life.

3c3b3b7d32c3aea9-awake-good-morning-gif-find-share-on-giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1