Pennsylvania Duck

CFB 2023: Clock Will Now Run After First Downs as NCAA Approves Change

For the first time since 1968, the clock will no longer stop on first down in college football, at all levels aside from Division III. The clock will continue to stop after first downs during the last two minutes of each half.

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved the rule change on Friday after the NCAA Football Rules Committee suggested the change in March.

The PROP is also expected to approve two additional amendments to the current rules: teams will be prohibited from calling consecutive timeouts, and penalties at the end of the first and third quarters are now to be enforced at the beginning of the second and fourth quarters.

Click to read about the changes in The Spun.

Personally I'm not thrilled about this one, this is one of the major differences between college and the NFL and I would still like the college game to be different.  If they really want to shorten the game, then they should get rid of all the ridiculous booth reviews in favor of a challenge system, or perhaps let's get rid of those annoying 3.5 minute TV timeouts. Yeah I know that would cost the networks $ boo hoo.

The one rule I would like to see changed is the knee down rule.  It's always seemed stupid to me that if a player goes down without contact that he can't get up and run.  That's not a tackle!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, noDucknewby said:

The one rule I would like to see changed is the knee down rule.  It's always seemed stupid to me that if a player goes down without contact that he can't get up and run.  That's not a tackle!

This rule doesn't bother me as much as it's 'selective enforcement'.

Don't like it, I don't mind the length of college games, I like the opportunity to see amazing comebacks due to the clock stopping, I don't think there was some urgent need for this.

I love it. CFB was played for decades and decades without the clock stopping for first downs. IMO this makes sense just as the pitch clock makes sense in MLB.

This in part is being passed in anticipation of a 12-team playoff likely to go to 16 teams after the 2025 season. CFB has to find ways to cut down the amount of time players are on the field.

This will get folks headed home earlier after late kickoff times. (I hope CFB stats will reflect this change. Lots of records have been knocked out due to the games running longer and teams running more plays than once was the case.)

A 3 hour broadcast window as we have now for CFB is a myth. The majority of NLF games end in the allotted time frame. 

BTW, if it was up to me, except for champ and playoff games I see nothing wrong with having games end in a tie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shortening the game = removing commercials and the Pac is the only conference that hasn't locked in a TV contract yet. Great timing.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:01 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Shortening the game = removing commercials and the Pac is the only conference that hasn't locked in a TV contract yet. Great timing.

The PAC decided a season or two ago that all games on the pac-12 network would have a shorter timeout to shorten the game. 

The biggest problem about shortening the game is that is all about shortening the play time of the game (you know the actual product that is on the tv that we all want to watch).

Rather than shortening the ad time, the thing we'd all be happy if it got cut but the corporations will never do that because that's their money. 

So we'll probably get a shorter game with the same amount of more ad time. 

The only plus side we will no longer have to tune into the "ocho" to see the opening kickoff. It's just a matter of time before they add 20 sec to TV timeouts. Gotta get paid!

On 4/21/2023 at 9:18 PM, David Marsh said:

The PAC decided a season or two ago that all games on the pac-12 network would have a shorter timeout to shorten the game. 

The biggest problem about shortening the game is that is all about shortening the play time of the game (you know the actual product that is on the tv that we all want to watch).

Rather than shortening the ad time, the thing we'd all be happy if it got cut but the corporations will never do that because that's their money. 

So we'll probably get a shorter game with the same amount of more ad time. 

Totally agree. The networks will not give up their income advertising stream. But something has to be done to cut down the time college football players are on the field.

I think the undisclosed "plan" is for the CFB playoff to go to a 16-team field in 2026. For this to happen the regular season has to be shortened one way and the other.

Tape the game and start watching after 75 minutes of play. It's the only way to escape Fansville. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Per The Athletic (paywall) 3 new rules for the 2023 CFB season have been approved by the NCAA.

1. Clock will not stop for 1st downs except in the final 2 minutes of each half.

2. No consecutive timeouts allowed. (Kickers everywhere are celebrating.)

3. No untimed downs; penalties will carry over to the start of a new quarter. 

I like all of these 3 new rules.

Now, please adopt the NFL rules regarding the review of plays. Or, limit the time allowed for review.

• Applause 1