FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 3 Things to Watch for in the Spring Game

Our Oregon Ducks football team has the annual spring game coming up this Saturday, and there’s a lot to prove for this team. Fortunately, it looks like the Ducks have all the key pieces in place to have one of their best seasons in school history. A veteran starting quarterback in Bo Nix coming back for his final season, an outstanding coaching ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football team has the annual spring game coming up this Saturday, and there's a lot to prove for this team. Fortunately, it looks...

• Go Ducks! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex, thanks for this article and a great take on what you are looking for from OBD's in this spring game.

My eyes will be focused in the trenchs........

On offense, it starts with the oline. Can this unit jell together to provide the pass blocking needed for Bo to be the best Bo? Can those big boys up front run block at the first and second level so Bucky can be the best Bucky?

Can the Oline jell and show us that they can build and grow together and dominate at a CFP level?

On defense can the front seven create chaos and cause disruption? Can they get to the QB? Even though its just an April spring game can and will we see front seven improvememt?

For me, the play in the trenches will determine the 2023 outcome for the Ducks. The Oline has some big shoes to fill and the D front seven needs to put the letter D back in the Ducks Defense.

I feel confident they can.......

I'm confused. Has Traeshan Holden been dismissed again, after being reinstated? He is still on roster.

Pretty sure Holden was reinstated back in February, but maybe I missed a headline? 

I also think Jordan Burch might one of the difference makers on defense to watch. Jacobs will be another player who fits Lanning's ideal at LB, and this should impact our defense in a huge positive way.

My main concern is depth at QB. Too many seasons have relied on one qb, and when he went down so did our season. The critical element to this season is having a back-up qb ready to go. 

Stein will need to install our offense, but more importantly have a back-up qb ready to go. Hopefully this will be the quiet story we never have to see develop. Maybe this season, and definitely next season is going to rely on this story to actually have legs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Haywarduck is correct.  Traeshon Holden was reinstated to the team.  After the last scrimmage Coach Lanning acknowledged that Holden had some good catches.

I agree with Haywarduck that Burch and Jacobs will make a difference on defense.

Traeshon Holdon was dismissed, then definitely reinstated, after more facts of the incident that he was involved in were released. 

This team is talented. Realistically, for the Ducks to contend for a playoff spot they will need to stay healthy, and have a defense that probably ranks in at least the top 20. 

It is going to be a QB shoot out to get to our conference championship. Contenders for the championship game will need defenses that are solid in pass protection, and can pressure the QB often. 

Thanks, Alex.

I'm pretty sure that Ferguson is out with an injury. This means that Oregon is down to 2 healthy scholarship TEs.

So, one thing I will be keeping an eye on is whether Matayo U gets reps at TE. A position he played in high school as well as playing on the D side of the ball.

Could be a heck of a season for Oregon. But Oregon has a sneaky tough game at Texas Tech and travels to Seattle and Salt Lake while SC gets Utah and UW in LA. 

Riley bagged the Bear, just one of the solid defenders he has taken from the portal. The new guys on D get successfully coached up and integrated by Grinch and SC's D in 2023, could improve as much as its O did in 2022. GULP!

I'm hoping that Ducks fans flock to Autzen. Need to put on a show for the bevy of stud recruits in attendance.