NJDuck

QUAACK! Luke Moga, 3-Star Quarterback, Commits to Oregon Ducks

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning and the Ducks land one of their top targets at the position.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Moga also held offers from Miami, Utah, BYU and Arizona State among others.
RT @LukeMogaQB: Surprise! #ScoDucks 🦆🌵@Hayesfawcett3

195708438_media.webp

qwtscdwwlrls8t0cwrld

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I understand he is a rising star, thus his status should improve by signing day.

Also, coach Stein is supposed to be a great qb developer. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Normally....I would be concerned about a Rivals 3-Star for the most crucial position on the field.  (By a mile) Yet something the Lanning staff has shown me in just over a year is how they are often in on guys who end up getting an elevated rating the next season. 

We have had a ton of 3-Star QBs bomb out here, yet Mariota and Herbert were also 3-Stars, so it will be fun to watch it all happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

This is surprising after he previously postponed his announcement.  I wonder if this means Michael Van Buren is going elsewhere?

On 4/28/2023 at 3:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Normally....I would be concerned about a Rivals 3-Star for the most crucial position on the field.  (By a mile) Yet something the Lanning staff has shown me in just over a year is how they are often in on guys who end up getting an elevated rating the next season. 

We have had a ton of 3-Star QBs bomb out here, yet Mariota and Herbert were also 3-Stars, so it will be fun to watch it all happen.

I believe 2-time champ, Stetson Bennet at UGA was a 3-star recruit who had to 'drop down' to JC to get the reps that led to championships.

In DL et al I trust. Mario got the first part, recruiting right but could not produce the 2nd part, getting highly rated kids to show the same on the field.

• Thumbs Up 2

The fact that the coach from South Florida was really going after this guy and he still chose Oregon is all I need to know about his intelligence.  Yes, I'm that petty and no I won't let it go.

Edited by 12Duck72
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I actually hope he stays a 3*, comes to camp with a chip on his shoulder and outworks everyone. We need some effort guys to push everyone to their potential.

A big possible weakness to our program is student athletes getting soft after arriving at the best facilities in college football. 

I'll always remember Ngata talking about seeing Olshansky in the weight room, and thinking this is the place that will push me to my potential. We need guys thinking this way, not I have made it. 

I love the talk about Oregon being one big family, but a working family. A family with goals, expectations and achievements!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm. I thought one of the main objectives this weekend was to get Van Buren to favor us. Hopefully Van Buren is nonplussed by this announcement.

Hopefully other 5-star QB's will also not bat an eye by Moga's commitment if Van Buren goes elsewhere. It's early, players can change their minds.

Breaking down QB Luke Moga's commitment, and what it means for QB Michael Van Buren

Does this impact Michael Van Buren?

The number one question I had when I saw that Moga announced his commitment was “How does this impact Michael Van Buren?”

I’m not sure that Moga’s announcement changes anything for Van Buren. He is the higher-rated prospect, and if he believes that he can beat out Moga for playing time down the road, and he still believes in what his future could hold at

Oregon, then there is no reason to change course — assuming that his plan is to commit to the Ducks.

If a 5-star QB like Dylan Raiola had announced that he was committing to Oregon, then you could see Van Buren changing his mind and opting for another school, but I’m not sure that he will be deterred by a competition from Moga.

Would Oregon take 2 QBs in 2024?

It’s relatively rare that you see a pair of quarterbacks in a recruiting class together, since obviously only one can play down the road. In the era of the transfer portal, it may become more common, as the two agree to battle it out, with the victor staying and the runner-up transferring out to a different school.

Is that what’s happening here? It could be.

Should the Ducks take a pair of passers in this recruiting class, it feels like they are almost throwing a bunch of options at the wall and seeing what sticks. Going into next year, you have Ty Thompson, Austin Novosad, Luke Moga, and potentially Michael Van Buren all competing for the starting spot. It would also not be a surprise in the slightest to see the Ducks bring in a transfer portal QB to compete for the starting job as well.

That’s a lot of options. Hopefully one of them proves he’s good enough to lead the Ducks to success.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

QB Luke Moga committed to Oregon on Friday. Does that change anything for QB Michael Van Buren? Let’s talk it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, NJDuck said:

The number one question I had when I saw that Moga announced his commitment was “How does this impact Michael Van Buren?”

Well, I am banking on him going from Moga to no NoGo if and when Oregon signs a 5-star prospect. Moga can go elsewhere.

TT was a fluke bust. We can not have an attitude of "stars do not matter" anymore.