Jon Joseph

ESPN Post Spring Practice Revised Top 25

ESPN has posted its revised top 25 for 2023. Mark Schlabach at ESPN is in charge of ESPN's human and not algorithm-driven top 25. 

Below are the top 10 and the other ranked Pac-12 teams in addition to USC at #4. And for what it is worth (not all that much) my take on the revised rankings.

1. Georgia - No surprise here as Georgia goes for a 3-Pete. An easy out-of-conference schedule will help the Dawgs in their quest to make modern-day history. 

2. Michigan - Cupcake out-of-conference (OOC) schedule and a 2-game, at Penn State and versus Ohio State conference schedule helps the Wolverines in pursuit of a spot in the final, Final 4. How much will automatic FG kicker Moody be missed? 

3. FSU - Huh? I think the Seminoles drop the first game vs LSU in Orlando.

4. USC - Maybe? Getting Utah and UW in LA helps the SC's cause. And playing at ESPN #13, Notre Dame, gives the OOC schedule a boost. But will the portal additions on defense be integrated and coached up for a team last seen losing to Tulane? 

5. Ohio State - The Buckeyes also play at #13 Notre Dame. New QB will have stud WR Marvin Harrison and others to throw the ball to. I would have had Ohio State in the 4 spot. 

6. Alabama - Diss Saint Nick at your peril; especially, if Notre Dame transfer Buckner is the answer at QB. Bama's 2 conference losses came on the road last season versus Tennessee and LSU by 4 points. This season the Vols and LSU Tigers (too many Tigers out there) play in Tuscaloosa. I expect the change in the clock rules to shorten the game so that Bama, under new OC Tommy Rees, will be more run-oriented and more physical in 2023.

7. LSU - Best QB in the conference, Jayden Daniels returns to play a second season under excellent coach Brian Kelly. A tricky opening game versus FSU in Orlando that I think LSU wins. I expect the game in Tuscaloosa versus Bama will be a 4 quarter slugfest. I will not be surprised if LSU wins back-to-back SEC West titles in the last season of divisions in the SEC.

8. Penn State - The Nittany Lions easily handled Utah in the Rose Bowl for its first win in 2023. The pieces are in place but will PSU white out Michigan and win at Ohio State? PSU is one of the teams that will most likely benefit when the playoff goes to 12 teams in 2024.

9. Clemson - Too low in my opinion. The offense stuttered under first-year OC Garret Riley (Lincoln's brother) in the spring game but lots of key components did not suit up for the Tigers' (SIGH - very few Tigers roaming around Clemson, South Carolina) spring game. I think Clemson again wins the ACC. Especially, with Notre Dame coming to Clemson. Add in the game at South Carolina and Clemson plays a very good OOC slate. 

10. Texas - I've seen this movie before. I do not expect Texas to win in Tuscaloosa and I do expect it to continue losing close games.

12. Washington - If UW can successfully replace 2 starting guards and its starting center the offense should be lights out. Will the defense improve? Two of the same questions that are being asked in Eugene. Games at USC and Oregon State will be challenging and I'm looking for a 15-round fight when the Ducks' trip to Seattle.

14. Utah - I kind of get this but will Rising be able to return at full speed from a bad knee injury? Will Clark Phillips be replaced in the secondary? The trip to Salt Lake City looks like another 15-rounder for Puddles.

15. Oregon - 4 new OL starters. A new OC. A defense that has to improve (18 sacks in 13 games in the Pac-12 is not good) and a witch of a schedule. At #20 Texas Tech OOC. And at #12 UW, at #14 Utah, and home versus #4 USC and # 17 Oregon State. Wow! Nix plays as well under Stein as he did under Dilly and all questions are answered favorably, 11 regular season wins are doable. But it's a big ask in Dan Lanning's 2nd season.

17. Oregon State - 105th in passing yardage in 2022. Will DJU or another Beavers QB fix this? The defense should again be salty. It helps that Oregon State misses USC and plays UCLA, Utah, and UW in Corvallis.

NOTE - Yes, USC has to play at Oregon but playing Utah and UW in LA is a parting gift from Merton Hanks. (Does Mullens ever beef about stuff like this?)

My Power 5 conference sleeper picks.

ACC - Louisville - Favorite son Jeff Brohm returns and the Cardinals have the easiest conference schedule in the ACC missing both Clemson and FSU

B1G - #25 Wisconsin - New coach Fickell is updating the O, and brought in a very good QB transfer from SMU. The D will continue to play solid ball.

B12 - Oklahoma - I see a rebound happening in Norman if QB Dillon Gabriel can stay upright. Outstanding pick-ups from the portal.

Pac-12 - Oregon State. But DJU or someone else has to improve the passing game.

SEC - #7 LSU will be behind Georgia and perhaps Alabama at the close of SEC media days but Daniels is back and Kelly is one heck of a coach.

I'm off to take a long summer's nap before the start of fall practice.

GO DUCKS!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Below are our buddy CBS Dennis Dodd's revised rankings. Top 10 and Pac-12. DD has 6 Pac-12 teams ranked. Who knew?

1. Georgia - Largest annual recruiting budget in the nation, $4.5M per year, pays off in titles and draft picks.

2. Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. Penn State - A whole lot of love for the B1G East

5. Washington - Bow Up?

6. Alabama

7. FSU - another prognosticator buying the preseason Seminole hype.

8. LSU

9. Notre Dame

10. Clemson

11. Oregon - ESPN's Mark Schlabach, Go To Your Room!

13. USC - lots of questions regarding the SC defense.

14. Utah

15. Oregon State

21. UCLA - with its relatively easy schedule this probably makes sense.

No Texas Tech. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Tyler is still in Lubbock for his last go-round. TT is 8-0 when Shough starts and finishes the game. Shough has frequently missed games with injury. 

The change in clock rules could hurt the TT O. TT ran the most plays from scrimmage in 2022. HUNH to the extreme. 

It does help Oregon's cause that TT's all american D end was drafted early on by the Raiders. Still, TT will be jacked up for this game and the stadium will be sold out and loud. 

I am most happy that Oregon has a warm-up game before tripping to Lubbock. TT opens the season on the road at Wyoming. A game TT should win but not an easy place to travel to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though it was only since 2020, I count only 17 players remaining on the team who played with Shough -- and of course no Mario or his coaching staff.

I could be wrong but I wonder if a lot of the water behind a "revenge game" has went under the bridge?

I imagine it will be a big game for TS; but, more because it would be a huge win for their program early in their season. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd guess TS would more like circle Miami (Mario) or possibly Akron (Moorhead) than Oregon?

Steve Stevens

Dontae Manning

Trikweze Bridges

Kris Huston

Jamal Hill

JJ Greenfield

Bryan Addison

Mase Funa

Steven Jones

Camden Lewis

Popo Aumavae

Marcus Harper

Patrick Herbert

Jake Shipley

Keyon Ware-Hudson

Brandon Dorlus

Josh Delgado

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:03 PM, AnotherOD said:

Even though it was only since 2020, I count only 17 players remaining on the team who played with Shough -- and of course no Mario or his coaching staff.

I could be wrong but I wonder if a lot of the water behind a "revenge game" has went under the bridge?

I imagine it will be a big game for TS; but, more because it would be a huge win for their program early in their season. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd guess TS would more like circle Miami (Mario) or possibly Akron (Moorhead) than Oregon?

Steve Stevens

Dontae Manning

Trikweze Bridges

Kris Huston

Jamal Hill

JJ Greenfield

Bryan Addison

Mase Funa

Steven Jones

Camden Lewis

Popo Aumavae

Marcus Harper

Patrick Herbert

Jake Shipley

Keyon Ware-Hudson

Brandon Dorlus

Josh Delgado

Great points but it is a big game for Texas Tech that generally, except for 1 season under Mike Leach (RIP) when it tied with TX and OK for the conference championship flies under the national and the B12 radar. 

Texas Tech handily defeated Ole Miss in last season's bowl game. TT could have named the score versus a decent SEC team.

TT also defeated Texas in Lubbock last season. Always a huge win for the program

The fans for the most part are Texas football zealots and the stadium does get loud. And the Pac-12 did give Tech an in-your-face not so long ago when the conference excluded the Red Raiders from 'the elite club.' An entirely unnecessary shot at the then-B12 orphans. 

When it comes to this game this hubris troubles me. Same with the series coming up against OK State and Baylor. I lived for a time in Texas. Texans do not forget stuff like this. And the B12 and Pac-12 are the race with the ACC for the P5 3 spot. 

Tough game for the Ducks in that Oregon will be expected to win. Will not move up that much in the polls with a win and will drop in the AP and in the Playoff Committee's POV if Oregon does not secure the win. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Oregon just needs to light it up in Lubbock.  I know the O-line has some changes but a lot of talent.  By the time we are done with fall camp and PSU I think they can be ready.  Nix will have some serious weapons and Stein will have it dialed up.  It could be one of those 52-49 things.  Some improved D (we will I think) and that's winnable even in Texas.

The post-spring top 25 will be similar to the late August pre-season polls.  It is always a lot different in December.  The Pac looks primed to impress (and I hope they do sans the purple pooch mutts) but it's never what we think.  USuC could go 8-4, Utah 8-4, OSU could be similar.  Nix could win the Heismann under Stein.  I can't wait.  Where will our Ducks finish?

• Let’s hope! 1

Fun stuff to ponder and some great thoughts and comments from the OBDF's posters.

For me, i rarely focus on the TOP 25 because its biased and subjective. What i do focus on is the PAC and its members.

So much has to take place and so many things have to happen for a team to win 10 games. Its a solid accomplishment not always achieved.

I think 3 PAC teams have a shot at 11-1 and a PAC title game appearance. Its a long shot with the depth of talent in the PAC......

usc, uw and our Ducks are the 3 top teams for talent. Utah, ucla and the beavs will be tough outs but may lack the depth to run this gaunlet.

So it doesnt matter where you are ranked now. Where u r ranked after  the conference title games is what matters. Penix, Williams and Bo have enough fire power on board to get the job done. The team with the best D play will win the PAC.

I see Oregon beating usc,  usc beating uw and uw besting our Ducks in an epic game off the lake.

All 3 have the talent to go 11-1.

Dont know how the tie breaker will work out. But at least one 11-1 team will be playing in the Alamo Bowl. I hope that team will be usc and that the Ducks vs huskies play for the title.

Winner to the CFP and loser to a New Years 6 Bowl. The winning teams QB should be in New York with a shot at the Heisman.

It will be a great season for the PAC.

GO DUCKS!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2023 at 3:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

It does help Oregon's cause that TT's all american D end was drafted early on by the Raiders. Still, TT will be jacked up for this game and the stadium will be sold out and loud. 

I’ve been to Jones Stadium on a big weekend. It was against Texas back in 2000. Tortillas were flying, cattle feces filled the air and the students were rowdy, but it was anything but loud. Their stadium just doesn’t hold noise like Autzen does. They will still have an advantage because of the heat and wind. If the Ducks can find their running game then it will be lights out for Tech.

• Applause 2

On 5/3/2023 at 5:03 PM, AnotherOD said:

Steve Stevens

Dontae Manning

Trikweze Bridges

Kris Huston

Jamal Hill

JJ Greenfield

Bryan Addison

Mase Funa

Steven Jones

Camden Lewis

Popo Aumavae

Marcus Harper

Patrick Herbert

Jake Shipley

Keyon Ware-Hudson

Brandon Dorlus

Josh Delgado

You’re absolutely correct. Shough doesn’t hate Oregon. I know for a fact he hates Moorhead. Maybe Mario as well. After all, he drove them down for an opening TD in the Fiesta Bowl and then got pulled.

As a TECH fan I look forward to Oregon coming to Lubbock. While TECH is not UT or A&M hopefully we least make the game somewhat compelling. 

By the way DrJacksPlaidPants Jones AT&T Stadium looks completely different than when you visited in 2000. Recently TECH received an additional $200Million donation to update the SouthEndZone.  Unfortunately it will not be completed by the time of the Oregon game. See attached link for pics. 

TEXASTECH.EXPOSURE.CO

February 23, 2023

PAC12 vs BIG12.

In my opinion PAC12 presidents (SHI____BED) by not adding Kansas, Oklahoma St, TECH, and three other BIG12 schools in 2021. As a result i believe this will finically hurt both conferences.  

What the PAC12 should have looked like.

Oregon

Oregon St

Washington

Washington St

Stanford 

CAL

UTAH

ASU

Arizona 

Colorado 

Kansas

Oklahoma St 

Texas TECH

Houston 

Kansas St

TCU or Baylor 

While its not the BIG10 or SEC, I suspect the PAC12/16 could have made around 60/70% of what the SEC of BIG10 will be making. Especially with Yormark as commissioner.

• Applause 1

Tech Fan, thanks for being here, and best of luck to the Red Raiders, except in week 2, in 2024.

I would have added 8 teams to assure the B12 did not carry on as a Power 5 conference. Baylor, Houston (outlier but a tier 1 research school that brings in a huge market,) Iowa State (AAU member school,) Kansas (AAU member school,) Kansas State, OK State, TCU, and Texas Tech. 

I agree with you as to the media deal. This would have had Fox as well as ESPN bidding for media rights. And had the Pac returned to unequal distributions the conference perhaps, could have kept USC on board. UCLA is not going anywhere unless SC moves to the B1G.

Just another terrible business decision by the leaders of the Pac who had to rub it in the face of B12 schools with the elitist 'Elite Club' comment. This was wholly uncalled for and reeked of academic snobbery. You reap what you sow; or, in this case, what you don't sow. 

The Athletic's Stewart Mandel revised top 10 + all Pac-12 teams ranked.

1. Georgia

2. LSU - best QB in the conference in former ASU QB Daniels and all-conference LB Omar Speights from the Beavers was a big portal pick-up. 

3. Michigan

4. USC (up from 6) I'm not sold on SC making enough strides on D to make the final, Final 4.

5. Ohio State - I think this is too low. Down from number 3. New QB has a great WR room full of quality guys to throw the ball to. 

6. Alabama - Questions at QB but when you diss Saint Nick he wins titles.

7. Washington - To date, DeBoer appears to be a great hire. 

8. Penn State - The B1G East battle should be fierce. PSU gets Michigan at home but has to trip to Columbus. 

9. FSU - I don't see this, especially with FSU opening against LSU.

10. Tennessee - With a new QB is this too high?

11. Notre Dame - With games versus Ohio State and USC and playing at Clemson is this too high?

12. Utah - Big drop off at QB behind Rising who has to come back from a severe knee injury.

13. Oregon State - one wonders if DJU will beat out true frosh Chiles. 105th in passing last season. 

15. Oregon - is down from 13 and I'm not sure why? 

25. UCLA - Moore has a legit shot to start at QB. The new Bruins QB will have 3 cupcakes to open with out-of-conference in 2024.

6 Pac-12 teams are ranked.

Texas Tech comes in at 23.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thanks 1

I always prefer being ranked too low than too high preseason. I also enjoy SUC and fuskies being ranked too high than too low.

• Thumbs Up 1