Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! Oregon's New QB Verbal Runs a 10.49?

Luke Moga is an incredible athlete, and this shouts to a high upside.  This conversion calculator shows that a 10.49 =  4.37 time in the 40 yard dash.  Wowsa.

I hope this is not why he was recruited...(to run the ball) or does every young OC have to learn the hard way?

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

This looks pretty impressive...he throws an accurate long ball.  Maybe that is why?  He also throws a catchable pass for the crossing patterns, and boy can he outrun everyone...whew!

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Kids fast! A ton of raw talent. 3* with a senior year to improve. WS might have found a good one here. I can think of a couple 3* that ended up to be great QB's. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/8/2023 at 5:58 AM, Log Haulin said:

Kids fast! A ton of raw talent. 3* with a senior year to improve. WS might have found a good one here. I can think of a couple 3* that ended up to be great QB's.

Shall we dare say we might possibly have a young Marcus Mariota in the making?  I agree about WS finding a good one.  

• Let’s hope! 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:52 AM, NJDuck said:

Marcus Mariota

He dose seem to have some Mariota traits.

When passing plays break down he scrambles with intent to pass first run second.

Throws very accurate passes mid stride while running.

Has amazing speed and a nice little wiggle in the run game.

Nice touch on his passes and seams to have a good feel on how hard he can throw it. Looks like his WRs need a lot of help and few if any are going on to college. Could be the reason he's only 3*.

Could be heavily underrated, just hope he can transition to the big time.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting comparison to Marcus, but more information on Moga needed. What made MM so lethal wasn’t just his speed and accuracy, but the instinctive timing and presence he brought to his pocket choices. Eyes in the back of your head are a gift.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:50 AM, Washington Waddler said:

the instinctive timing and presence he brought to his pocket choices.

Well....Marcus did not start that way, IMHO.  I cannot tell you how many times in 2012, and even 2013...I would shout at the TV for Marcus to stay in the pocket and look downfield!  Often, he would leave the pocket early and roll-out to his right, run out of room/receivers and throw the ball away.  If he had waited longer...

This is a common problem with young QBs, as it takes time to develop the pocket presence Marcus had in 2014.

Mariota_CS_FP.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Wow!  What speed!  His tape certainly reminds me of MM!  Doesn't look like his OL protected well -- that might indirectly factor into his * rating.

I'd have to stop halfway for a hit of oxygen.

Cat Celebrate GIF

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

I'm always leery of high school tape, never really know what sort of competition the player plays against, what sort of players he himself plays with, I'm sure others could answer that for me, when I look at his tape the one thing that stands out to me is that it looks like he scrambles to look for passing opportunities down field, he doesn't look like a QB who looks to call his own number as soon as possible.

The athleticism imo looks to be above average but not at the level that it is his number one calling card.  If he was the backup option I would say he's a good bet as a 3 star, I can certainly see how he could be a success at the next level.

I think it would be interesting if offenses developed special QB2 packages to bust out randomly in the game. Much like last years J14 bulldozer sets. The other team would have to prepare for two different types of offenses. Just when the D starts getting settled in against your pass happy system with a standard run game, here comes your hell on wheels speedster QB with planned runs off passing formations and classic option plays.

Not to be confused with those horrible QB 1A QB 1B systems that never work. Just a different look once in awhile that shakes thing up and keeps the D on their toes. This could also help retain QB2s looking for playing time. Just a thought.

Might be distinctly more appealing than standing around like a deer in the headlights...

• Haha 1