Jon Joseph

College Football Media Rights. ACC Schools, Led by Clemson and FSU, Want a New Media Deal

As bad as things are on the West Coast when it comes to broadcast angst, in many ways, it is no better on the East Coast where the ACC is buried in a terrible media deal, $20M a year for each school, with Disney/ESPN. (This dollar amount is augmented by distributions from the ESPN-owned and operated ACC Network but this does not bring the ACC ahead of the B12's new media deal.)

And this deal, already called out by ACC football heavyweights FSU and Clemson runs through 2036!

The University of South Carolina and Florida University might not be happy about it, as Texas A+M was not pleased with Texas coming on board, but if these two schools can exit the onerous media deal, both are a slam dunk (it's the ACC, I had to get a CBB reference in there) to join the SEC.

I don't like it but I believe that CFB is likely headed to a Power 2 Super Conference.

Meanwhile, sit back, relax, and enjoy Ducks football.

FANSIDED.COM

Clemson and Florida State are looking to take on the outdated ACC Grant of Rights they signed. Don't be shocked if Clemson and Florida State are the t...

College Football Fsu GIF by ACC Network

At the very least, Clemson and FSU want a far larger revenue cut than for example, BC and Wake Forest.

Wake has the smallest stadium in FBS and the stadium at BC is not much larger.

Clemson and FSU (like Oregon and UW in the Pac-10) draw the most eyeballs in the conference with UNC and Miami not that far behind.

Clemson and FSU will find that an SEC schedule will be a bit more difficult than what they face now.

No matter how you divide the SEC, the Tigers/Seminoles will be facing each other and the likes of Georgia, Bama, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, etc.

CFP invites may not be easy to come by. Only 12 invites mean the margin for error is slim. Be careful what you wish for.

However, receiving a larger cut from the pie is justifiable. The ACC made their own bed. Now they need to work together to fix THEIR MESS.

Going back to cash strapped espn for a better deal falls into the bad timing category.

This sounds so familiar.....

Wow...20M?  A worse deal than the Pac-12?  Boy, things will be changing!

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/13/2023 at 7:42 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

No matter how you divide the SEC, the Tigers/Seminoles will be facing each other and the likes of Georgia, Bama, LSU, Tennessee, Florida, etc.

CFP invites may not be easy to come by.

This component to me, is the elephant trumpeting in the room...and nobody is hearing it.  A team that is 10-2 in the Pac-12/Big-12 could end up being 6-6 in a Super Conference by losing a ton of close games by one play...yet still be a great team. 

Is that really better?  How long will the fans love that?

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Seems like the Pac-?, and even the ACC are like student athletes who are in the portal and can't find a program who has as high of an opinion as they do of their value. Unfortunately Larry put us in the portal years ago, and we can't get out!

• Applause 2

On 5/13/2023 at 10:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This component to me, is the elephant trumpeting in the room...and nobody is hearing it.  A team that is 10-2 in the Pac-12/Big-12 could end up being 6-6 in a Super Conference by losing a ton of close games by one play...yet still be a great team. 

Is that really better?  How long will the fans love that?

giphy.gif

Charles, good calls by you and Happy.

I think if Clemson and FSU were to join with SEC without any other teams to take the SEC to 18 teams that Clemson and FSU would be placed in a pod with South Carolina. The SEC IMO will not separate Georgia and Florida.

Yes, a schedule against the teams you mentioned would be daunting. But the SEC also has Vandy, Kentucky, MS State,  and other less formidable teams in the conference.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:55 AM, Haywarduck said:

Seems like the Pac-?, and even the ACC are like student athletes who are in the portal and can't find a program who has as high of an opinion as they do of their value. Unfortunately Larry put us in the portal years ago, and we can't get out!

Great take Hayward. I'd add that for UO it's like being a five star in the portal but as a package deal with his three 1 star brothers.

• Thumbs Up 2

Being an orphan looking for bread ($) is not easy.

Can I Have Some More Oliver Twist GIF

On 5/13/2023 at 8:21 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Great take Hayward. I'd add that for UO it's like being a five star in the portal but as a package deal with his three 1 star brothers.

You bring up the elephant in the room and something, over time will be resolved. There is no way, over the long haul, Missouri and Vanderbilt will be making more than other elite programs playing D1 football. 

It is like advertisers paying every program on CBS top dollar because NCIS it is the top show. The college football money game is far from over.

I will say it looks like George is in over his head right now, pathetic really.

kaptorga-terminator.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/13/2023 at 7:37 PM, Haywarduck said:

You bring up the elephant in the room and something, over time will be resolved. There is no way, over the long haul, Missouri and Vanderbilt will be making more than other elite programs playing D1 football. 

It is like advertisers paying every program on CBS top dollar because NCIS it is the top show. The college football money game is far from over.

I will say it looks like George is in over his head right now, pathetic really.

kaptorga-terminator.gif

The B12 struck while the Pac-10 fiddled. I have serious doubts about GK but in today's market, I don't think that any person no matter how gifted a negotiator would have an easy time of it making a deal. 

And the inventory he has for sale is what it is. 

Rock and a hard place.

Perhaps I am foolish but I still believe that the Pac-10 will conclude a deal within the range of the B12 and better than that of the ACC.

Today, the ACC, B12, and Pac-10 are in a race for the bronze medal. 

What GK should have done is to push harder to go to a Pac-20 and bury the B12 but that like the water the gentleman is drowning in is over the dam.

CRACKS IN ACC ARMOR: AD’S TOLD NOT TO SPEAK WITH MEDIA ON MONDAY, BUT THE ‘ACC 7’ ARE NOW CREATING ENOUGH NOISE

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

If the ACC was looking to make some noise this Spring, I'd say the mission was accomplished as spring meetings bring out hidden chaos

• Thumbs Up 1

PAC is lead by fouls. PAC12 really messed up in 2021 by not killing the BIG12 by adding Kansas, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech and one more. Plus the PAC12 could have kept USC & UCLA. 

I have to wonder are schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA and Miami worth more than Washington and Oregon. 

• Oh no! 1

The only reason the PAC didn’t expand in 2021 is because the USC President shot it down as a non-starter.  All the while knowing USC was headed to the B1G.  Expansion would have required extending the GOR that was set to expire in 2024, the year USC was looking to make a jump to the B1G. 

I have no idea why the ACC signed a 20 year deal.  No way ESPN lets them get out of it.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:46 AM, Rufus said:

The only reason the PAC didn’t expand in 2021 is because the USC President shot it down as a non-starter.  All the while knowing USC was headed to the B1G.  Expansion would have required extending the GOR that was set to expire in 2024, the year USC was looking to make a jump to the B1G. 

And was she playing footsie with Fox and the B1G at the time? If so, that would be a breach of fiduciary duty and would also violate a number of California anti-fraud statutes. 

This is where a strong commissioner, Jim Delaney or Greg Sankey, would have forced the issue and the conference would have expanded.

A Power 5 conference bites the dust. A competitor for media income goes away. How did the Pac powers-that-be not see this?

Not accretive? These schools, KS, K St, Iowa St, OK St, Baylor, TX Tech, TCU, and Houston could have been picked up on the cheap and both ESPN and Fox would have been at the table bidding for Pac-20 media rights. In other words, other people's money would have paid for the expansion. The acquirer's 'stock' would not be diluted. 

The folks who opine that this would not have made financial sense are clueless when it comes to the valuation of an M+A deal. Moving into the Central time zone and especially into Texas could have saved the financially insolvent Pac-12 Network. And unequal revenue distributions may have kept SC in the conference. If USC doesn't move UCLA is going nowhere.

And rejecting this opportunity came with an arrogant excuse that the teams to be added were not academically worthy. HUBRIS! Hubris has turned around to haunt The Conference of Champions.

In the real world, litigation over SC and UCLA's move would have been filed against these 2 schools, Fox, Kevin Warren, and the B1G.

But this is the Ivory Tower world of academia so it's not happening. 

Man, I hope the Pac-10 survives but what goes around comes around. 

Sorry for a repetitive post on this matter but the decision not to expand should be taught at Harvard and other highly acclaimed Business Schools as an example of an all-time vapid business decision. 

The vote against expansion was 9-3. I'd love to know how Oregon voted. How the Oregon president now at Northwestern voted.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a TEXAS TECH fan it would have been nice to be in the PAC12 with Oklahoma St, Kansas, KSU, ISU and one more. Nothing against UCF, Cincinnati or Houston but they are G5 schools to me.

Also if the PAC12 could drop UTAH that would be awesome, and yes I still consider them to be a G5 school.