Thomallister1291

Big Ten, Big 12 or ACC?

I know I won't sound extremely professional with this, but I've seen reports by someone named David Hale saying that the ACC has spoken to SMU, West Virginia, Oregon and Washington, the first two choices are understandable (especially in WVU's case), but seeing Oregon and Washington become USC and UCLA 2.0 in terms of travel costs would be extremely weird for me and probably all CFB fans.

I've had an unpopular opinion here that says that Oregon and Washington should join the Big Ten to at least be in a much more stable conference with more resources and to help USC and UCLA with reducing travel costs, plus getting more prime-time matchups in national TV, but as time goes on, I'm feeling the chances of moving there are getting worser.

While it is likely UO and UW will consider secondary options if they want to leave the Pac-12 and the Big Ten isn't available, I truly don't know what option is the "best" between the ACC and the Big 12 (I really doubt the SEC will want to take any Pac-12 teams due to them wanting to stay regional, despite most of the Pac-12 having higher academic rankings than the SEC), I would personally like the ACC better due to more unique matchups and surpassing the Big 12 in various aspects, but the ACC may disband soon, it's too far away and the Big 12 will probably stay perfectly fine, even tho I don't want the Ducks near the Big 12 (We have three consecutive home and home series' scheduled with Big 12 teams so no thank you).

But if we were to move conferences, which conference is the best choice?

I think it's the Big Ten, we'll have to travel a lot but it won't be quite as bad as going to North Carolina, Florida, or Virginia, competition is probably a bit better, we probably match up better with the states a bit more, I also like that we'll have a sense of stability once we get into the conference.  In the end it also comes down to the fact that in the long run we'll probably make the most money in that conference.  

Imo the Pac10/12 is done for and the sooner we leave for the Big10 the better, I respect the opinions in here to try to stay, but I just see it differently.  We all want the same thing in the end and that's to have Oregon sports flourish. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2023 at 12:21 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

I've had an unpopular opinion here that says that Oregon and Washington should join the Big Ten

I would not say it is unpopular, because most of us are resigned to it happening eventually.  But you have asserted many times that it should happen now, and you want it to happen now, and as I stated before--that is a minority opinion at this juncture.

We would first like to see the total Pac-12 media package before we make our declarations.

BTW...being in the minority is fine.  When I stated that Cristobal's offense would not work in his first month of the 2018 season....I was hammered and insulted by hundreds of people on other sites.  Yet eventually over four years, my stance went from a "fringe" opinion, to a minority opinion as others began to share my view--to eventually being a majority view.

So I know what it is like to be a lone voice--thus why we allow all opinions as long as they stay within our rules.  Keep discussing as I learn from you and everyone!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thomallister 1291 what makes this site great is that a so called unpopular idea is always welcome.

It was very unpoular between 1750 and 1770 in America to think or speak of rebellion. But my 1776 men and women were willing to fight and even die for that unpolular idea. So keep it up.

I still feel if the BIG wanted the Ducks they would have already wanted us. We still do not have an invite. 

However, if the ACC blows up then their will be only 4-P5 conferences. The door is wide open for the PAC to expand to 16 teams. Pick the best available media markets, offer lifelines to those in need. With the Ducks, Utes and huskies on board the new PAC16 would lap the BIG 12.

The PAC missed on offereing a lifeline to the BIG 12. What a mistake thst was.

Will lightning strike agsin?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:21 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

I know I won't sound extremely professional with this, but I've seen reports by someone named David Hale saying that the ACC has spoken to SMU, West Virginia, Oregon and Washington, the first two choices are understandable (especially in WVU's case), but seeing Oregon and Washington become USC and UCLA 2.0 in terms of travel costs would be extremely weird for me and probably all CFB fans.

I've had an unpopular opinion here that says that Oregon and Washington should join the Big Ten to at least be in a much more stable conference with more resources and to help USC and UCLA with reducing travel costs, plus getting more prime-time matchups in national TV, but as time goes on, I'm feeling the chances of moving there are getting worser.

While it is likely UO and UW will consider secondary options if they want to leave the Pac-12 and the Big Ten isn't available, I truly don't know what option is the "best" between the ACC and the Big 12 (I really doubt the SEC will want to take any Pac-12 teams due to them wanting to stay regional, despite most of the Pac-12 having higher academic rankings than the SEC), I would personally like the ACC better due to more unique matchups and surpassing the Big 12 in various aspects, but the ACC may disband soon, it's too far away and the Big 12 will probably stay perfectly fine, even tho I don't want the Ducks near the Big 12 (We have three consecutive home and home series' scheduled with Big 12 teams so no thank you).

But if we were to move conferences, which conference is the best choice?

Don't be sad, 1 out of three ain't bad.

If money matters and it does, the B1G if the opportunity arises is where the Ducks should take flight.

Anything else means you are looking to be the best bronze medal winner.

Great thoughts. I can see the SEC if it wants to go coast to coast adding TX Tech, OK State, Arizona, and ASU at a large media revenue discount.

On 5/19/2023 at 4:25 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would not say it is unpopular, because most of us are resigned to it happening eventually.  But you have asserted many times that it should happen now, and you want it to happen now, and as I stated before--that is a minority opinion at this juncture.

We would first like to see the total Pac-12 media package before we make our declarations.

BTW...being in the minority is fine.  When I stated that Cristobal's offense would not work in his first month of the 2018 season....I was hammered and insulted by hundreds of people on other sites.  Yet eventually over four years, my stance went from a "fringe" opinion, to a minority opinion as others began to share my view--to eventually being a majority view.

So I know what it is like to be a lone voice--thus why we allow all opinions as long as they stay within our rules.  Keep discussing as I learn from you and everyone!

And the B1G/Fox won't make an offer before they see the terms of the new media deal.

Great take.

Mario, the beat goes on in Miami.

Neither the B1G or SEC have ever added more than 2 schools at a time. The B1G may not destroy the PAC 12 out of a fear of a lawsuit.  Take USC and UCLA now and then let the conference stabilize.  Take Washington and Oregon later and then let the conference stabilize once more.  

Yes, it destroys the PAC 12 in terms of value, but it gives the conference a chance to stay alive and add lesser members.  

If the B1G added Oregon and Washington right now, the PAC 12 would be totally destabilized. Would there be a fear of a collusion lawsuit if they were added right now?  

I see this playing out…USC and UCLA are integrated into the conference.  Near the end of the new media rights agreements at the end of the decade, the B1G adds Oregon and Washington.  After they are integrated into the B1G, the ACC GOR is near its end and it’s time for the B1G and SEC to poach the ACC.  

Meanwhile, the PAC will add SDSU and SMU now. After stabilization, when Oregon and Washington leave, Tulane Rice, Fresno State, Boise State, UNLV and Colorado State all set their sights on a PAC 12 invite. 

The wildcards are Stanford and Cal.  Does the B1G want them?  Do they go independent?  Do they stay in the PAC and keep the 4 Corner Schools in the PAC with them?  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, Rufus said:

If the B1G added Oregon and Washington right now, the PAC 12 would be totally destabilized. Would there be a fear of a collusion lawsuit if they were added right now?  

The schools apply for membership so a lawsuit would be unlikely, IMO. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

A collusion lawsuit has never been filed in CFB and I doubt that one will ever be filed. 

What media entity and others if any, did the Pac-10 collude with to take Utah from the MW and CU from the B12? 

Bob Bowlsby and the B12 may have had a winning suit against ESPN and the SEC but it was not filed. Litigation is expensive and without a certainty of winning are left behind member schools willing to pay the price?

I think that CFB will continue to centralize and I very much doubt that the teams left behind will have a winning lawsuit.

If Oregon does not sign on to the new media deal and pledge its broadcast rights to the Pac-10 the Ducks will be a free agent free to fly anywhere it so likes and is invited to. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

ACC is a bad choice... Not just from a travel perspective but mostly because they are actually in a worse position than the PAC in terms of media payouts. So that would be a double downgrade for the Ducks in terms of less money and way more travel. 

The big-12 would be simply worse than the B1G all around. Lots more travel and less money. So even if numbers with the new PAC deal are comparable with the big-12 it would just mean increased travel costs so no real gain. 

So really besides the PAC the only real alternative is the B1G. 

But my favorite alternative is a PAC and ACC merger of sorts. Which seems bad and weird on paper but look at it this way. 

They wouldn't do a full mix of conference games. It would be broken into two regions and further more it could be cool to do some cross division games and also there could be a mini tournament for a coastal conference championship. The winner of the PAC vs the winner of the ACC. That would draw some eyeballs.