Charles Fischer

Stunning: Football Transfer Portal Stat for Power-5 Schools

The average number of players in the transfer portal from each Power-5 school is..... an amazing 8.5 players per team and that astonished me.  This was brought up at another site, (subscription) but the real stunner is how many does Our Beloved Ducks have in the portal?

Ten.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Doesn't Oregon have a couple of walk ons in the transfer portal? Not saying they are not important but I recall a a couple entering the portal. 

The transfer portal is a quickly becoming a one stop shop for schools where it is difficult to recruit or group of 5 schools. 

I think it is more often than not a good thing for athletes because if they had loads of playing time and we're happy where they were they wouldn't transfer. So all the more power to them. 

For Oregon, the 10 transfers are likely a result of our continually improving recruiting.  Those already not getting much playing time can see the writing on the wall.  Isn't Shough the only player that's transferring that has had much playing time?  If recruiting continues at the present pace, I'd think the transfers will continue.  I guess that just makes room for better players.

3 hours ago, 47sgs said:

For Oregon, the 10 transfers are likely a result of our continually improving recruiting.  Those already not getting much playing time can see the writing on the wall. ...  If recruiting continues at the present pace, I'd think the transfers will continue.  I guess that just makes room for better players.

This is one reason that Alabama has had a lot of recruits down through the years - Highly rated recruits that after a couple years don't think that they we make it after all (along with great recruits that did make it and declare early - Oregon will be getting more of these openings as time passes).

For the above reasons, great recruiting schools continue to be able to recruit 25 every year in spite of an 85 total limit. Being able to recruit 25 every year, of course, helps you stay in the top 5 of the recruiting classes. Not all elite recruits turn out as elite players on elite teams. The high end recruiters therefore get more high end recruits to sift through to find those who can truly contribute.

The bright side for Oregon is that it really does allow Oregon to maintain full or nearly full recruiting classes year to year. 

The attrition may be a problem for some as if players don't make it to the field right away may look elsewhere. However, that is where Oregon's culture is to counter that problem for the players who may truly see the field. 

I just want to see a DT from the transfer portal to the Duck roster, please!