NJDuck

California Assembly Passes Bill Allowing College Athletes to be Paid by Schools

Well, here we go.  California legislators just open that can of worms, allowing college athletes to be paid a share of revenue from their school.

WWW.USATODAY.COM

A bill passed by the California Assembly would allow college athletes to be paid a share of revenue from their school.

• Wow 1

The beginning of the end of Olympic Sports at colleges?

Athletic Departments do not have the money to support the current number of sports AND pay the football players as well. 

And I'm sure it will stop at only

paying the football players....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is pure Eval. How about NO!

And who will suffer most? Young people who come from homes with tough financial circumstances. Charles nailed it noting the negative effect this will have on non-revenue sports.

FUCA, FITA, group insurance, possibly union dues, payments to a state retirement fund, and administrative hearings if a starting player drops down in the depth chart. How about filing a complaint against your fellow employee professor for grading too hard? How many university administrations are going to accept this? 

Put a life jacket on the baby being thrown out with the bath water. Say hello to Ivy League/D3 scholarship policies; no athletic scholarships.

But perhaps, this nonsense will lead to NCAA president Charlie Baker finding relief on the federal level.

Saint Mary's has to pay its athletes and Gonzaga does not? UCLA has to pay its athletes but Michigan does not?

Sports that operate in the red will have to share 'revenue' with their athletes. Whatever happened to basic economics in the state of California? 

Do politicians pay the least bit of interest to athletic department bottom lines? Pay attention to Title 9 that without football scholarships in the calculus will ipso facto eliminate many women's teams. No wonder so many women representatives abstained from voting but where was the courage to vote against this insanity that the California Board of Regents uniformly lobbied against?

NLRB and now this? College sports governance has not changed incrementally in recent times. It has experienced a vortex of change. This change could signal the end of college sports. College sports becoming D3 club sports with more stray dogs in the Coli watching football than fans. 

I salute CA for having NIL foresight but this is over the line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why should I pay for sports "entertainment " I am not interested in? 

nailincoffin.PNG.eb7ffce5a0d20a93a1023e9835f228e0.PNG

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

Carrying this CA nonsense to its logical conclusion which is NFL Lite. Unfortunately, something like this is headed CFB's way.

All indicia of a school's football program, including the stadium, training facilities, etc. are assigned to the NFL for a fixed price, perhaps augmented by revenue, and an indemnification against litigation.

Oregon - 49ers/ UCLA - Chargers/ USC - Rams/ UW -Seahawks

ASU - Cardinals/ CU - Broncos/ Texas - Dallas/ TX A+M - Texans

Iowa - Steelers/ Minnesota - Vikings/ Nebraska - Chiefs/ Oklahoma - Raiders

Alabama - NY Giants/ Arkansas - Bills/ Auburn - NY Jets/ LSU - Saints

Florida - Bucs/ FSU - Jags/ Georgia - Falcons/ Miami - Dolphins

Clemson - Commanders/ UNC - Panthers/ South Carolina - Ravens/ Tennessee - Titans

Kentucky - Bengals/ Michigan - Lions/ Michigan State - Patriots/ Wisconsin - Green Bay

Illinois - Bears/ Notre Dame - Colts/ Ohio State - Browns/ Penn St  Eagles

High school draft (college coaches' salaries fall in line with NFL salaries.) Players become members of the NFL Union. Free Agency according to Union/NFL agreement. Players can be traded. Players can be brought up to NFL and dropped down. Players are pro athletes and not student-athletes. Salary cap on teams but no cap on individual NIL deals.

NFL Lite collectively markets broadcast agreements under the NFL umbrella. 

Will today's college fans show up to watch this?

OK, this is extreme. And I hope if it happens it happens well down the road. But once anything is fully capitalized, consolidation follows. And size goes to size.

For example, with Amazon out there try finding a bookstore.

In the interim, let's enjoy Ducks football as-is.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:13 AM, Jon Joseph said:

. Whatever happened to basic economics in the state of California? 

I live in California.  Basic economics has largely fled the state, along with common sense.  Very sad...

• Yikes! 1

How about if the NFL paid it's own farm team players ?

On 6/4/2023 at 1:31 PM, LuckeyDuck said:

How about if the NFL paid it's own farm team players ?

I think this is how it will come down.

• Yikes! 1

It was a bunch of could/should etc for me.  If this were to pass all both houses and governor, is it a "MUST" or is it something the colleges could do for athletes?  

I still don't get how anybody doesn't think this will kill Olympic sports and women sports.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:23 AM, Tandaian said:

It was a bunch of could/should etc for me.  If this were to pass all both houses and governor, is it a "MUST" or is it something the colleges could do for athletes?  

I still don't get how anybody doesn't think this will kill Olympic sports and women sports.

I think Anybody hangs out in Sacramento?