Charles Fischer

Think Beaver Fans Will Cheer for Pac-12/Oregon in Super-Regionals?

The question in the title was posed to Beaver fans on one of their forums and below are the responses.  If you are unsure of what "FTD" means, just complete the statement of "_uck the Ducks."  

(I often had to add punctuation and complete sentences because....they ARE Beavers, after all.)

"I'm pulling for Oral Roberts."

"Hell No. F_ck the ucks."

"Just never thought Oral Roberts Baseball's success would be important to me, but it is...  Go Golden Eagles!!"

"We should pull for PAC teams. But I’d rather have a colonoscopy than see any uck success. Go ORU!!!"

"While I certainly wasn't rooting for the ducks to win their regional, them making the Supers I could stomach because we needed some Pac-12 teams to advance. I don't think I can stomach seeing them in Omaha so go ORU.  I'll definitely root for Stanford though."

"Stanford chill but FTD."

"Have to say I'm looking forward to what golden eagles can do to a a small group of ducks. Eagles have talons, ducks have big mouths and poop slugs."

"This shouldn’t be difficult… hell to the NO! Never. Go Stanford, never Oregon. There’s so much OSU hate on the duck board. They don’t like us, we don’t like them. I’m so grateful they’ve beaten us 1 time out of the last 9 matchups. It’s making this fluke of a run a little more tolerable."

"About to go online and buy an Oral Roberts Baseball shirt to wear this weekend. As always FTd!!"

"Not even a dilemma for me. FTd Go ORU!"

"ORU pulls a Kent State at PK…….FTd!!"

"I can’t believe I’ve found a worthy adversary to match up with my hole hatred."

At an Oregon-Oregon State

Baseball Game...

OSU Fan_Kevin Cline.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah, sure, all at the same time they’re sticking pins in their Duck voodoo dolls.

Beavis keeping it classy.

• Haha 1

I think most beaver fans that I know, and the list is long, would rather see the Ducks lose than the Beavs win. Lol

• Haha 2

It is a joy often unappreciated by us Oregon fans, because as we bask in the glow of a victory...we are not appreciating how much frustration it causes Beaver and Husky fans.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/7/2023 at 8:51 AM, Just Ducky said:

I think most beaver fans that I know, and the list is long, would rather see the Ducks lose than the Beavs win. Lol

Agreed.  So many "hate Oregon more than they love Oregon State."

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/7/2023 at 8:53 AM, Charles Fischer said:
On 6/7/2023 at 8:51 AM, Just Ducky said:

Agreed.  So many "hate Oregon more than they love Oregon State."

So, any further questions as to why it’s called the Civil War, and always will be?

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2023 at 8:35 AM, Charles Fischer said:

But I’d rather have a colonoscopy than see any uck success.

Wow, this guy surely loves his proctologist!  I wonder if he has standing appointments every year.

• Haha 1

So much for Uncle Phil coughing up a mil a few years ago so they could keep Coach Casey.

Wow- they are an interesting lot.  One would think being an adult and keeping perspective would be the order of the day.  

They have been relatively low key after the football victory based on my limited interactions but apparently the baseball thing really has them in a dither.

They do seem to have a case of selective memory on the fact that PK saved their baseball coach a few years ago.   Maybe we can remind them of that as they are swiping their credit card for those Oral Roberts shirts.

Beav fans... the only folks who actually wanted Oregon to adopt RoboDuck.

Don't care if they lose as long as the Ducks don't win, no matter what the cost. 

I think the progression in baseball is interesting.  Beaver baseball became popular initially because it came at a time when there was little success in other programs.  Understandable.

Then, because of the "feel good" for Beaver fans, more began paying attention and started to become baseball fans.  And, more knowledgeable about baseball.  They had to to sustain their "talking points."

I see a parallel with the Ducks.   I don't think there are a lot of hard core baseball fans, but the winning this season has drawn attention.  Initially there were a lot of bandwagon Beaver fans but success grew the Beavers fans commitment.

The same may happen with Ducks fans.  There was a lot of skepticism when Pat Kilkenny, a baseball fan, resurrected the program.  I don't think there were a lot of Ducks fans begging for it, or jealous of the Beavs.  It was primarily as Kilkenny thing.   But, if the program can sustain some success, like the Beavers did, the commitment will grow.

• Great post! 1

I'm not holding my breath on the Beavis fans as I root with all smiles.

On 6/7/2023 at 12:05 PM, HDuck said:

I think the progression in baseball is interesting.  Beaver baseball became popular initially because it came at a time when there was little success in other programs.  Understandable.

Then, because of the "feel good" for Beaver fans, more began paying attention and started to become baseball fans.  And, more knowledgeable about baseball.  They had to to sustain their "talking points."

I see a parallel with the Ducks.   I don't think there are a lot of hard core baseball fans, but the winning this season has drawn attention.  Initially there were a lot of bandwagon Beaver fans but success grew the Beavers fans commitment.

The same may happen with Ducks fans.  There was a lot of skepticism when Pat Kilkenny, a baseball fan, resurrected the program.  I don't think there were a lot of Ducks fans begging for it, or jealous of the Beavs.  It was primarily as Kilkenny thing.   But, if the program can sustain some success, like the Beavers did, the commitment will grow.

Outstanding post, as I believe you really nailed it.  

As many of you know--I am a Daffy, Delusional, Devoted Duck beyond all reason.  I enjoyed and WATCHED the Beavers on TV win their Baseball 'Nattys, and was very indifferent about bringing Oregon Baseball back.  I did not want it back at Oregon because of the OSU success, as I regarded it as "their" sport, as Track was ours, etc.

You are right HDuck, in that it was a couple of major players who spearheaded it back, and one behind the scenes that few know about, (I did not know until recently) is that Penny Knight wanted Oregon Baseball back.  Even Phil knows, "happy wife-happy life."

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/7/2023 at 8:35 AM, Charles Fischer said:

If you are unsure of what "FTD" means, just complete the statement of "_uck the Ducks."  

Guess I’m just a traditionalist. Always thought it stood for Florists’ Transworld Delivery. That said, I did come across another definition for the acronym: Fronto Temporal Disorder. Among the possible symptoms are, “ . . . unusual behavior, emotional problems . . .”  

So, whenever you hear (or read) a rodent fan uttering those three letters, the considerate thing to do is call them an ambulance. They may be suffering from Duck Envy which can lead to FTD. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

I do find this humorous...I don't really hold any animosity toward the Beavs (except that annoying as hell twitter Beavs 3.0 guy), but they sure seem to hold plenty against us.  I even typically cheer for the Beavs when they aren't playing us.  They're kinda like a little brother and I can understand why they loathe being thought of in that way.  However, all the real animosity I have is reserved for those whining butt lickers up north and the back stabbing Roth Warriors down south. I wouldn't p*ss in their mouth if their gums were on fire...

On 6/7/2023 at 11:57 AM, woundedknees said:

Don't care if they lose as long as the Ducks don't win, no matter what the cost.

That is truly the astounding thing, winning doesn't matter as much as the Ducks losing. I always respected the cougs focus on one game, beat the dawgs, but the beav mentality is tough to understand.

I have to admit I enjoy the dawgs losing greatly, but it doesn't match the joy of seeing our program win.

If you really want to get under Beavs 3.0  thin skin ask about Pat Casey covering for Luke Heimlich.   They get very defensive and quickly bring up the b-ball episode they are so certain that Altman swept under the carpet.  Yet I think Pat Casey gave new meaning to 'sweeping things under the carpet'.