Pennsylvania Duck

2024 Football Recruits...Announcements, Updates (No. 4)

Our 3rd thread for this topic has reached a 3rd page and has gotten too cumbersome to handle.  So, I am starting a new thread (No. 4). 

NJDuck and I have never gone through a whole year cycle of postings regarding recruiting before, so this has been a learning experience. Along with the fact that Coach Lanning and his crew are such good recruiters, this thread grows quickly.

If you need to refer back to No. 3 for reference, click here.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4-star Safety, Jakob Gude puts Oregon in his top five

On Wednesday, another quality 2024 DB, Jakob Gude, showed interest in joining forces with the Ducks after high school when he named the Oregon Ducks one of his top five schools. Gude is ranked by 247Sports as a top 50 safety in next year’s class and the 53rd best player from his home state, Georgia.

Gude is nearly 6 feet tall and is 180 lbs. In pass defense, he uses his lean frame to cover ground more quickly than many bigger safeties could. While that lean frame can sometimes hurt Gude in the run game, his ability to position himself before and during the play can often make up for his lack of size.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

4-star Safety, Jakob Gude puts Oregon in his top five

4-star TE Ryner Swanson announces college commitment

The Oregon Ducks missed out on a blue-chip recruit, with 4-star tight end Ryner Swanson announcing on Thursday morning that he would be committing to the BYU Cougars.

Earlier in his recruitment, it was thought that Swanson would be a Duck, but then a recent visit to BYU earlier this week swung the tide in their direction. Swanson had a final five teams of Oregon, BYU, Texas, Texas A&M, and Utah.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

4-star TE Ryner Swanson announces college commitment
  • Like 1

Ryner Swanson committed to BYU today.

5-star OT announces top 10 schools; One Pac-12 team notably left off list

The Oregon Ducks continue to be in a great position to land one of the best players in the entire 2024 class, and one of the best offensive linemen in program history.

What’s notable is that one Pac-12 team that was originally thought to be in the mix has seemingly fallen by the wayside in the recruitment.

5-star OT Brandon Baker announced his top 10 schools on Thursday.  Unsurprisingly, the Ducks made the cut.  Maybe surprising to some, the USC Trojans received no mention.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

5-star OT Brandon Baker cut his list of teams down to 10. There’s one Pac-12 team that is notable missing from that list.

Major Oregon LB target, Justin Williams

4-star safety Marquis Gallegos puts Ducks among top schools, sets commitment date

For the second consecutive day, an elite safety prospect in the class of 2024 has named the Oregon Ducks in their top five schools. On Wednesday, it was Jakob Gude of Langston Hughes High School in Georgia, and on Thursday, it was Marquis Gallegos of Chaminade High School in California.

In comparison, Gallegos is taller than Gude, but slightly leaner at 6’1″ and 175 lbs. Similarly to Gude,  Gallegos uses his lean frame to maximize his speed, which makes him an elite ball-hawk safety (he grabbed 7 INTs in his junior year of high school). According to 247 Sports, Gallgoes is the 21st-best safety in his class, which is higher than Gude is ranked.

Gallegos announced that on Tuesday, June 27th he will announce his commitment. In addition, Gallegos will take an official visit with the Ducks just four days before his commitment date, along with a vast number of other recruits.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

4-star safety Marquis Gallegos puts Ducks among top schools, sets commitment date

• Cool 1

Four Teams Standing out for Jeremiah McClellan

Oregon has four wide receivers committed in the 2024 class and one big name that's still on their board is St. Louis (Mo.) Christian Brothers College Prep wide receiver Jeremiah McClellan.

The 6-foot, 190-pound pass catcher has one more official visit on his schedule and could take another unofficial visit.

"I'm going to Oregon next weekend for my OV," he told Ducks Digest at the OT7 championship in Huntington Beach. "Then I probably want to go to Missou again just to see how it is. I'm really trying to start narrowing it down right now. So that's pretty much it."

McClellan released a top 12 in April but now a small group of schools are recruiting him hardest.

"Ohio State, LSU, Oregon and Missou. Those are the schools that are really heavy on me and I'm heavy on them."

a0314497-0d86-4f69-aff1-7f5c689b3862

https://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article276514591.html#storylink=rss

Click to see entire posting...Brayden Platt #1 in Javelin

One Official Visit Remains for Kamar Mothudi as Decision Nears

Linebacker is a major position of need for Oregon in the 2024 recruiting class and one of their top targets is expected back on campus for his official visit next weekend.

Ducks Digest caught up with Valley Village (Calif.) Campbell Hall linebacker Kamar Mothudi during the Elite 11 finals in Redondo Beach.

ca5bdb32-088c-44d2-a314-70f64eadeaee

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K21PVMQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KZLTVVEBF146&psc=1

Ducks among final two for 4-star wide receiver Ryan Pellum

Four-star wide receiver Ryan Pellum of Long Beach (Cali.) cut his list to two on Monday when he announced that Oregon and USC were his two finalists. Pellum announced the condensed list on social media.

The update comes between his official visits to the two campuses. Pellum was at USC last weekend and will be in Eugene this upcoming weekend.

The nation's 100th best player in the 2024 class per 247Sports, Pellum plans to finalize a decision shortly after his visit to Eugene, he told Greg Biggins in a recent update.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon and USC are the two finalists for 4-star wider receiver Ryan Pellum of Long Beach (Cali.).

New Pac-12 team jumps into No. 2 spot for 2024 conference recruiting rankings

Over the past decade or so, the Oregon Ducks have been a mainstay near the top of the recruiting rankings in the Pac-12 conference. If they didn’t hold the number 1 spot, you didn’t have to look very far down the ranks before you saw the Ducks.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Dan Lanning is continuing to recruit at a great clip. However, one thing that has surprised us so far is how successful Troy Taylor has been in his first cycle as the Stanford Cardinal head coach.

Take a look at the latest Pac-12 recruiting rankings midway through the month of June:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Pac-12 has a new hot team that’s joined the Ducks near the top of the rankings, fighting for a top-10 spot nationally.

You ever wonder why Stanford, with notorious low star recruits, always seems to show up and play strong? I'm not talking pre 2005. I mean over the last 20 years or so Stanford has taken average kids and made behemoth teams. 

Of course its many reasons, but by and large these kids are driven. Before you come out and say that all kids are driven if they are recruited at a high level, Stanford kids are driven in a different way.

What kind of kid does it take to be a D1 athlete? Genetics is the start but commitment is the key. Now add to it academics. This begs the question, what kind of kid has the genetics to be a D1 athlete AND is qualified to enroll at an Ivy league school? Its determination, pure and simple. That kid isn't hanging out with his friends more than he is seeing the 'Big Picture' and hitting the books. He's been doing it his entire HS career. 

Translate that to a Freshman at Stanford. Its just the laws of averages. To be Ivy League smart AND be a top 300 player in HS is RARE. So, these kids need time to physically mature to catch up to the phenoms that are man childs out of HS. Make no mistake, when/if a Stanford player finally makes an impact on the field, he's going to bring his PHD's with him.

To be sure, this kind of recruiting model isn't sustainable and it goes through lulls. Coaching is at a premium. But, by and large, Stanford, with an excellent coach, should be upper crest in the PAC. 

Zach Ertz

Richard Sherman

Toby Gerhart-my nemesis but loved him as a player

Andrew Luck

And on and on. And Basketball? Forgettaboutit!!!! Dominate 

The players that Stanford recruits are driven at a different level than nearly every other Progr'm. They simply can't get the genentics to match up as freshman recruits. I foresee a return to respectable real soon with the new coaching team.

Edited by 1Funduck

Oregon Director of Scouting Tyler Dean breaks down June's rising importance in recruiting

"The month of June is our Super Bowl in recruiting. I think it really changed after COVID," said Dean. "It opened back up for recruiting around the month of June a couple of years ago. I think everyone saw a lot of success in the month of June, and now the calendar has transitioned.

For years, Oregon has relied on one camp towards the end of summer called Saturday Night Live. The name, albeit not as catchy as it once was, lays out what happened pretty simply: on the last Saturday in July, recruits would fly out to Oregon to get in front of the Ducks coaching staff. Some high-profile commits and names emerged from those camps, including players like Dont'e Thornton, Jurrion Dickey, Jay Butterfield, and many more.

Now the Ducks have added supplemental camps alongside SNL and can run further evaluations of players. Dean explains how these extra camp visits can help Oregon's staff value and determine the talent level of recruits.

247SPORTS.COM

Over the past few seasons, recruiting has taken off during the summer months, and this offseason is no different. Oregon's...

Massive list of blue-chip recruits set to arrive in Eugene for visits this week

Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks have been incredibly busy over the past couple of weeks, hosting some of the top-rated players in the nation.

That doesn’t look to be changing any time soon, as another long list of prospects is set to flock to Eugene over the coming days and into the weekend for more visits.

We are expecting to see both some of the top committed players in Oregon’s 2024 class take their official visits, as well as some of the best uncommitted players in the nation, including multiple 5-star players in the 2024 and 2025 classes.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A trio of 5-stars and over a dozen 4-stars all expected in Eugene this week. The latest updated list of Oregon Duck visitors.

• Wow 1

Four-Star WR Ryan Pellum locks in commitment date, will announce on 247Sports YouTube Channel

Long Beach Millikan (Calif.) wide out Ryan Pellum locked in his commitment date and is set to announce on the 247Sports YouTube Channel.

Pellum will make his choice next Monday, June 26 at 5:00 PM (ET)/2:00 (PT). He’s currently rated the No. 69 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite and No. 100 in the Top247.

Oregon and USC are the final two for the gifted wide out. He just officially visited the Trojans this past weekend and will take his final visit to Oregon this coming weekend.

247SPORTS.COM

Long Beach Millikan (Calif.) wide out Ryan Pellum locked in his commitment date and is set to announce on the 247Sports...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks picked up predictions to land the No. 60 overall player and No. 175 overall player in the 2024 class on Thursday.

McRoy is a Rivals 3-Star, but if this staff wants him, then so do I.  They have been great at gauging upside!

Mr. FishDuck

McRoy is a mountain of a human being. 6'8" and 360+ lbs?? I'd hate to face off against him every down!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon Remains a Top Option for Jason Brown Jr. Ahead of Senior Season

2024 Seattle (Wash.) O'Dea running back Jason Brown Jr. has been closely linked to Oregon for a long time.

Ducks Digest checked in with him at the Elite 11 to get the latest in his recruitment.

He has 23 reported scholarship offers, but a small group of schools have been recruiting him the hardest.

"I'd say Oregon first. I talk to them almost every day. Super consistent communication. Coach Lock (Carlos Locklyn) and Coach (Dan) Lanning, guys that are usually at the top of my text list when it comes to checking, see who's talking to me.

To view this article, click here.

Rivals Info

N.RIVALS.COM

Jason Brown - 2024 4 Star Running back for O'Dea (Seattle, WA) on Rivals.com

Running List of Justin Hopkins Predictions

As we enter a very key newt few weeks of recruiting, it’s time to take a look at some of my existing predictions. A few of them have been made this week with others dating back into the 2022 calendar year.

Below are my picks on uncommitted 2024 recruits Oregon has been mentioned with. I tend not to stray too far out of my comfort zone so the bulk of my picks are on Oregon.

Take a quick look at the list and a small update on each one.

I think the Ducks would be very happy if Hopkins predictions came true...

WWW.ON3.COM

Oregon could be poised to close on a number of top recruiting targets. Let's take a look at some of my current predictions.

PREDICTION: Top 2024 Defensive Target to Oregon

Oregon is heading into its biggest recruiting weekend of June with its strongest collection of talent expected on campus for official visits.

Commits and top targets will all flock to Eugene as Dan Lanning and his coaching staff work on generating momentum and landing more verbal commitments. Schools like USC and Stanford have been popping off, and I think it's Oregon's turn to get in on the fun.

Today, I'm logging a prediction for 2024 Long Beach (Calif.) Poly linebacker Dylan Williams to commit to Oregon.

To read the article, click here.

Rivals Info

N.RIVALS.COM

Dylan Williams - 2024 4 Star Inside linebacker for Poly (Long Beach, CA) on Rivals.com

• Go Ducks! 2

Love This Pic.  The Croots Keep Coming

usa_today_20502965.0.jpg

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/recruiting/prediction-top-2024-defensive-target-to-oregon

AUTZENZOO.COM

Oregon Ducks land commitment from 2024 4-star safety Kingston Lopa The Oregon Ducks have landed another commitment in the 2024 recruitment class.  Oregon ...

Rivals Info

N.RIVALS.COM

JacQawn McRoy - 2024 3 Star Offensive tackle for Clay-Chalkville (Pinson, AL) on Rivals.com

• Let’s hope! 1

PREDICTION: Oregon to Land Elite Edge Rusher in 2024 Recruiting Class

Dan Lanning and the Ducks need to continue adding game changers at the line of scrimmage to take their defense to the next level.

It felt like Oregon had reached a new tier as a recruiting power when they landed Kayvon Thibodeaux in the 2019 class. He was ranked the No. 1 player in the country by ESPN and was a consensus top-10 player on both 247Sports and Rivals.

Thibodeaux became the highest-rated commit the school had ever seen, a distinction he still holds today. He's the best edge rusher we've seen come through Eugene in recent years and now Dan Lanning wants to ensure players of his caliber are more common than they are rare. 

Today, I'm logging a prediction for Oregon to land 2024 Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic EDGE Elijah Rushing.

To read Max Torres' prediction for the Ducks to land Elijah Rushing, click here.

Rivals Info

N.RIVALS.COM

Elijah Rushing - 2024 4 Star Weakside defensive end for Salpointe (Tucson, AZ) on Rivals.com

Photos and reactions from Oregon recruits following big June visitor weekend

The final week in June was chock-full of more massively important recruiting visits for the Oregon Ducks, as Dan Lanning and the staff once again hosted a long list of top-rated players, including multiple 5-stars and over a dozen 4-stars.

5-stars Aydin Breland, Colin Simmons, and Dakorien Moore were all in town for visits, and a handful of players who are already committed to the Ducks — QB Michael Van Buren, WR Jordan Anderson, DL Tionne Gray, among others — were also in town to help with the recruitment as well.

As is the case every week after the visits, recruits take to social media to reflect on their time in Eugene and post photos and videos of their trip. here are some of the best reactions after this past week:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Another big visitor week in Eugene with multiple 5-stars in town. Check out the photos and reactions from top players.

Kayvon Thibodedeaux helping recruit this weekend...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Oregon offers fast-rising receiver out of Arkansas in 2024 class

The Ducks have extended an offer to a new target out of the state of Arkansas.

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks have extended an offer to a new target out of the state of Arkansas.

4-star WR Ryan Pellum announces commitment between Oregon and USC

The recruiting battle between Lincoln Riley and Dan Lanning continues to go one since the two young head coaches took over at their respective schools a couple of years ago.

This round went to the USC Trojans.

On Monday afternoon, 4-star WR Ryan Pellum announced that he would be committing to the Trojans over the Oregon Ducks, which doesn’t come as a major surprise since the blue-chip pass-catcher canceled his official visit to Eugene not long after taking his OV to USC.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

4-star WR Ryan Pellum announces commitment between Oregon and USC

Da’Jaun Riggs Shifts Into Decision Mode Following Oregon Visit

Oregon is pursuing a small group of talented ballcarriers in the 2024 recruiting class. With Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe running back Christian Clark announcing his commitment to Texas last week, the Ducks hosted Washington, D.C. St. John's running back Da'Jaun Riggs for his official visit.

He spoke about the impression Oregon left after making it out to Eugene this past weekend.

"After being down there, bringing my parents down there, seeing everything--it most definitely jumped up," he said about the Ducks. "It was amazing for me and my parents. Just being down there and the atmosphere of being in Oregon. It was a great place to be at and I most definitely would love to go back there."

What were some of the highlights from his official visit?

"Coach Dan Lanning's house. With Coach Lock (Carlos Locklyn) and Coach (Will) Stein the offensive coordinator, sitting down, talking and eating."

Oregon's seen a lot of talented running backs come through Eugene over the years, but the coaching staff's vision for him could include more than being a traditional back.

"Their vision for me is I'm very versatile. I can play more than just running back," Riggs told Ducks Digest. "They see me getting over there and being a major impact on the offensive end. Being able to catch, run and maybe sometimes throw."

e3c8e0d0-0866-481e-9e6b-ce2ef5c14845

https://www.bnd.com/sports/college/article276801541.html#storylink=rss

5-star EDGE announces commitment date; Oregon Ducks thought to be favorites

The Oregon Ducks currently have the No. 7 ranked recruiting class in the 2024 cycle, and they’ve reached that status without the presence of a 5-star recruit in the mix.

That may be changing in the coming weeks.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

5-star EDGE announces commitment date; Oregon Ducks thought to be favorites

JacQawn McRoy, 4-star OL and Oregon target, sets commitment date

JacQawn McRoy is almost ready to make his college commitment.

McRoy will announce his decision on July 1, he shared Tuesday afternoon. He’ll be picking between a group of 4 finalists: Arkansas, Ole Miss, Oregon and Kentucky.

Here are the details:

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

JacQawn McRoy is almost ready to announce.

Those 4 decisions in July line up awfully nicely with Stein’s 4-Duck tweet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

New team dethrones Ducks at top of Pac-12 recruiting rankings

Recruiting is an incredibly fluid subject to cover in the world of college football. So when you take a look at updated recruiting rankings on any given afternoon, it’s important not to get too high or too low based on what you see — the rankings often flip and flop daily with new recruits announcing their commitments.

The national rankings certainly flipped on Tuesday afternoon.

While the Oregon Ducks have stood atop the Pac-12 recruiting rankings basically from the start of the 2024 cycle on, that changed after the USC Trojans picked up a couple of blue-chip commitments to bolster their class. Both 4-star S Marquis Gallegos and 4-star IOL Makai Saina joined Lincoln Riley and the Trojans, bumping USC ahead of the Ducks for the first time this year.

Take a look at where everyone now stands in the national recruiting rankings:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

There’s a new team on top in the Pac-12 recruiting rankings. How long will they stay there before the Ducks jump them again?

Oregon offers emerging tight end prospect in the 2024 class

The Ducks have extended a new offer to an emerging tight end prospect

Oregon's coaching staff already holds verbal commitments from two prospects projected to play the tight end position in their 2024 class. So it was interesting that after evaluating a prospect at one of Oregon's football camps on campus the Ducks extended a scholarship offer to yet another tight end prospect in the 2024 class.

After camping in Eugene last weekend, 2024 tight end and unranked prospect Kade Caton out of Manvel high school in Texas landed a scholarship offer from the Oregon Ducks. Caton announced his offer on Social Media.

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks have extended a new offer to an emerging tight end prospect.

Very promising prediction numbers for the Ducks.  Good Read.

What are realistic expectations for Ducks' final recruiting ranking in 2024 class?

At the moment, the Ducks have the No. 8 ranked class in 2024. They have been as high as No. 6 on that list over the past couple of months, but recruiting is a fluid game, and teams are moving up and down the leaderboard every day as players announce their commitments.

What I want to do here is take a look at what I think realistic expectations for the Ducks’ final 2024 recruiting ranking could be. There are a handful of 5-star players and a long list of 4-star players that Oregon is recruiting heavily, and should they commit to play in Eugene, then of course this could be the team’s greatest class of all time.

Is that realistic, though?

Likely not. So let’s go through some of the biggest names that the Ducks are targeting, and try to get an accurate prediction on where things will end up when all is said and done in the 2024 class, Lanning’s third official class in Eugene.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon has maintained a top-10 recruiting class throughout the 2024 cycle. If they hit on their remaining targets, how high in the rankings can they finish?

• Thumbs Up 2

New team dethrones Ducks at top of Pac-12 recruiting rankings

Recruiting is an incredibly fluid subject to cover in the world of college football. So when you take a look at updated recruiting rankings on any given afternoon, it’s important not to get too high or too low based on what you see — the rankings often flip and flop daily with new recruits announcing their commitments.

The national rankings certainly flipped on Tuesday afternoon.

While the Oregon Ducks have stood atop the Pac-12 recruiting rankings basically from the start of the 2024 cycle on, that changed after the USC Trojans picked up a couple of blue-chip commitments to bolster their class.

Both 4-star S Marquis Gallegos and 4-star IOL Makai Saina joined Lincoln Riley and the Trojans, bumping USC ahead of the Ducks for the first time this year.

Take a look at where everyone now stands in the national recruiting rankings:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

There’s a new team on top in the Pac-12 recruiting rankings. How long will they stay there before the Ducks jump them again?

I know USC is still in the Pac 12 for 2023, but not for the 2024 season.  I'm not sure why any page lists them as a Pac 12 team for 2024.

Key Oregon Targets Set Decision Dates

Oregon has come off a busy few weeks of hosting official visitors. Dan Lanning and his staff hosted some of the nation’s elite talent.

While the Ducks have 16 verbal commitments and top 10 recruiting class, many fans are asking for more commitments.

Duck recruiting insider Justin Hopkins' predictions would really elevate the team. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

WWW.ON3.COM

A number of Oregon recruiting targets have set commitment dates. Here are those dates and the latest on each.

This is a summary of what an Oregon On3 writer said about the UGA/Oregon recruiting battles for some big Mater Dei targets and Justin Williams out of TX:  

- UGA likely leads now for Justin Williams
- Says UGA is main completion for Baker but he still believes Oregon will win that one.
- says basically same for Aydin Breland - Oregon leads but UGA is main comp.
- says if both Mater Dei kids (Baker/Breland) commit to Oregon then that would likely help land Frazier
- but said if he had to predict now, he would predict Frazier to Dawgs

Look I like you guys and wish you well but now Dan Is starting to meddle!  😅🍻

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2023 at 6:46 PM, amcdawg said:

Look I like you guys and wish you well but now Dan Is starting to meddle!  

Oh now, you gotta give us...

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

'You can really lock in and focus;' 5-star Aydin Breland is sold on Eugene atmosphere

In Eugene, Oregon, you aren’t going to find the atmosphere that you would in Los Angeles, Miami, or even Columbus. The nightlife isn’t as active, and the glamour isn’t as present. For some high school recruits, that may be a turn-off.

For others, it could end up being one of the main selling points.

Of course, Oregon has a ton to offer. Between Nike, the uniforms, the unreal Autzen Stadium experience, and some of the nicest facilities in the nation, it’s not hard to sell a high school prospect on life as a Duck. Another underrated thing that Oregon has going for it is the relatively low-key Eugene environment. It’s not a large city with a crazy club scene on the weekends; you have to drive a couple of hours north to Portland in order to find that. In Eugene, you get a chance to focus on football and school without a bunch of unwanted distractions.

For 5-star defensive lineman Aydin Breland, that’s a massive bonus. He recently spoke to 247Sports about what he likes about the Ducks and mentioned that for himself, the opportunity to block out all of the noise and focus on his craft is what stands out about Eugene.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Eugene is not Miami, nor is it Los Angeles. For some recruits, that low-key college town atmosphere is a major selling point.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1

RB Da'Jaun Riggs previews Monday announcement

Running back Da'Jaun Riggs discusses his recruitment as he readies for his Monday decision.

247SPORTS.COM

Running back Da'Jaun Riggs discusses his recruitment as he readies for his Monday decision.