NJDuck

Oregon State AD Scott Barnes Supports Uneven Split of College Football Playoff Revenue

In the run-up to a Pac-12 media rights agreement and the grant of rights, uneven distribution of revenue among conference schools has been a point of discussion.

Will power players such as Oregon and Washington eventually receive a larger slice of the revenue pie than Oregon State?

OSU athletic director Scott Barnes is unconcerned. He believes the “baseline revenue,” meaning television money, will be split evenly among the existing 10 Pac-12 members. Where uneven revenue sharing comes into play has to do with postseason bonuses.

Barnes said at this point, Pac-12 schools that participate in the College Football Playoff receiving a greater share of postseason revenue than others is a hypothetical concept, though it is being seriously discussed.

It’s substantial money, as a recent report said CFP payouts could hit $2 billion per year by 2027. If a competing school makes a playoff run and is allowed to keep up to half of the payout, it could be an eight-figure windfall.

“My feeling on that is that I’m good with it,” Barnes said. “I think that’s a next step and where we sit, we’re in a position, frankly, with our football program. As you think about the percentage split, it’s got to be balanced, but I think there’s traction and I would support going down the path of incentivized distribution of things like CFP.”

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Barnes believes it's appropriate to "incentivize" revenue to teams participating in the CFP, but is against an uneven split of media rights payouts

• Cool 1

Frankly....San Diego State might be licking their chops at the thought of receiving the lion's share of going to post-season.  As for Oregon State?  Funny how it is not an issue now after a 10 win year!

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Frankly....San Diego State might be licking their chops at the thought of receiving the lion's share of going to post-season.  As for Oregon State?  Funny how it is not an issue now after a 10 win year!

I was thinking the same thing about Oregon State.  🙂

On 6/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Frankly....San Diego State might be licking their chops at the thought of receiving the lion's share of going to post-season.

Especially if they need to enter the conference at a reduced rate. 

I think the uneven post season payouts can keep the conference together for the next 5 years (which is how long until the B1Gs media rights are being renegotiated).

On 6/19/2023 at 12:57 PM, NJDuck said:

In the run-up to a Pac-12 media rights agreement and the grant of rights, uneven distribution of revenue among conference schools has been a point of discussion.

Will power players such as Oregon and Washington eventually receive a larger slice of the revenue pie than Oregon State?

OSU athletic director Scott Barnes is unconcerned. He believes the “baseline revenue,” meaning television money, will be split evenly among the existing 10 Pac-12 members. Where uneven revenue sharing comes into play has to do with postseason bonuses.

Barnes said at this point, Pac-12 schools that participate in the College Football Playoff receiving a greater share of postseason revenue than others is a hypothetical concept, though it is being seriously discussed.

It’s substantial money, as a recent report said CFP payouts could hit $2 billion per year by 2027. If a competing school makes a playoff run and is allowed to keep up to half of the payout, it could be an eight-figure windfall.

“My feeling on that is that I’m good with it,” Barnes said. “I think that’s a next step and where we sit, we’re in a position, frankly, with our football program. As you think about the percentage split, it’s got to be balanced, but I think there’s traction and I would support going down the path of incentivized distribution of things like CFP.”

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Barnes believes it's appropriate to "incentivize" revenue to teams participating in the CFP, but is against an uneven split of media rights payouts

Happy to see AD Barnes is health-wise back on track. 

IMO, an uneven split should apply to both the CFB playoff and the CBB tournament.

• Thumbs Up 2

With the current trajectory at OSU (since JS arrived), they have a real chance to be in the post season picture. OSU football, men's BB, and women's BB all have reasonable shots at post season play and would benefit from unequal shares of post season money.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:00 PM, Jon Sousa said:

With the current trajectory at OSU (since JS arrived), they have a real chance to be in the post season picture. OSU football, men's BB, and women's BB all have reasonable shots at post season play and would benefit from unequal shares of post season money.

Good call, John. But only CFB and Men's CBB pay the big money.

Oregon State has nowhere else to go. They don’t want in a new Mountain West. Of course they will support unequal revenue sharing. So will Washington State.  

• Great post! 1

On 6/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, Rufus said:

Oregon State has nowhere else to go.

This is what I was coming to say. While it is possible that the Beavs make the post-season and benefit from the unequal revenue sharing, my bet is that they're looking at this from a survival standpoint. 30 million is a hell of a lot better than 3 million or whatever they'd get in the MWC, tournament winnings notwithstanding...

John Canzano has only said the post season split has only been mentioned for football.  Nothing about basketball or any other sports.  I'm not sure any other sport other than basketball actually makes money from the post season.

On 6/20/2023 at 12:08 PM, Tandaian said:

John Canzano has only said the post season split has only been mentioned for football.  Nothing about basketball or any other sports.  I'm not sure any other sport other than basketball actually makes money from the post season.

The college football playoff brings in and pays out a boat load of money and the boat is about to dramatically expand with the field going to 12 teams and possibly 16 teams come 2026.boatload

Come 2026, far more media entities will be bidding for broadcast rights in addition to ESPN, today's sole CFB playoff media provider.