NJDuck

Kirk Herbstreit Says Pac-12 Coaches are 'Anxious' to Face Colorado in 2023

A year ago, Colorado was at the bottom of the Pac-12 in the midst of the Karl Dorrellera. But Dorrell is now out and Deion Sanders is in as head coach — and he made an entrance fit for Prime Time.

Sanders didn’t hide his intentions when he left Jackson State to take over at Colorado. His “Louis” luggage comments have been well-documented, and he lived up to that promise as the Buffaloes saw plenty of roster turnover. Fifty-eight players left the program and 48 came in as Sanders transformed the roster makeup.

He’s also generating plenty of excitement around the program, and ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit said Colorado is becoming a circled matchup for other Pac-12 teams as a result.

“Without naming names, I do know that there are a lot of Pac-12 coaches that are anxious to play Colorado,” Herbstreit told Pat McAfee on The Pat McAfee Show. “I think there are a lot of people that are excited. … That’s what makes it so exciting is there are a lot of people — before, you didn’t even know Colorado was playing. And now, every week, you’re gonna be like, ‘Who is Colorado playing this week?’ I’m very, very intrigued to see what happens with him not just this year, but in the future.”

• Applause 1

Of course, Deion's team hasn't played a game yet and he already may have one foot out the door.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 2

On 6/23/2023 at 12:46 PM, Steven A said:

Of course, Deion's team hasn't played a game yet and he already may have one foot out the door.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Gallows humor....whew!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Colorado is on their way to the Big 12

Colorado is not staying in the PAC

On 6/23/2023 at 1:53 PM, Vern58 said:

Colorado is not staying in the PAC

giphy.gif

Right.

You're a little late to the party, Vern

as we have been discussing this 

for a long time.

Funny how we've been attracting some trolls lately...

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I think Kirk was trying to stir-the-pot by referring to opposing coaches as being "anxious," to play Colorado in 2023, when a better description would be curious or interesting.  Everybody will keep their eye on the 'Buffs until they get their butt-kicked the first time, and I'm hoping it will come from Our Beloved Ducks.

Devon Williams at the high point_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Tough nut to crack... Deion needs to get his health stabilized before he can set a foot on the field on game day.

Unintentional pun, definitely in poor taste.

• Thumbs Up 1

Loved Prime's take the other day as to his never wanting to coach the prima donnas in today's NFL who don't want to practice hard or listen to anyone other than their agent. Notwithstanding some of the verbiage, Prime is an old-school coach.

Sorry, Vern, Ralphie is not moving to pastures that are no greener than he can find by staying at home. The B12's new media deal was agreed to in a hurry by ESPN and Fox because it isn't per team a lot more than B12 teams were receiving. Not a bad deal with OK and TX gone but one that will not incent Pac-10 teams to move. And Fox and ESPN are not paying for more B12 inventory and CU is not going to take less than BYU.

“Anxious” as in eager to play them and kick their butt. 

Sanders has certainly brought attention to the conference. It's a lot of hype and a lot of drama. He does draw a lot of reactions from his interviews, agree with him or not everyone seems to have an opinion on what he says. 

Not a bad thing for the conference right now to gather some extra eyeballs with that. 

I love what Lanning is doing at Oregon and I'm glad our drama level is super low. But until the season rolls around no one is really going to talk about us too much. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure “eager to smash them” would be a much more apt description.

The Deion hype is over the top. Ever seen “The Flim Flam Man” ?

• Applause 1

On 6/24/2023 at 7:04 PM, LuckeyDuck said:

I'm sure “eager to smash them” would be a much more apt description.

The Deion hype is over the top. Ever seen “The Flim Flam Man” ?

Don't sell Deion short. He helped make HBCU football nationally relevant by taking a #1 recruit away from FSU and with a great 2-year run at Jackson State. College Gameday visited Jackson, Mississippi because of Deion. His play in college and in pro football and baseball was far from flim-flam. Read his comments as to why he will never coach in the NFL and I see an old-school guy inside all of the flash and dash. CU's spring game sold 47,000 tickets at $10 a pop and CU's 2023 season football tickets sold out in 30 hours. The hire of one man put CU football, floundering for 2 decades, back on the national radar. CU alum Chris Fowler announced the spring game for ESPN, the only spring game broadcast on ESPN, and he couldn't have been a happier CU camper.

Will the entire makeover of the CU roster yield results in 2023? Looking at one of the toughest schedules in the nation including opening at playoff runner-up TCU and also playing Nebraska OOC, the answer is probably not. CU is coming to Autzen in 2023. What would the excitement level for this game be if Karl (does it have a heartbeat) Dorrell was still in charge in Boulder? Because of Deion, this game will likely be a national broadcast and not broadcast on the I can't find it Pac-12 Network.  A boost for CU, Oregon, and the entire conference that needs a media boost. 

Deion's hire was not only great for CU but also for the entire Pac-12/10. Oregon will lose a few recruiting battles to Deion who today holds the #1 portal ranking. 

PS - One of the best CFB performances that I witnessed in person was played at The Big House when Bobby Bowden's go anywhere, play anyone Seminoles team visited Ann Arbor for a one-off OOC game. It was Neon Deion versus Elvis, Elvis Grbac was the starting QB for Michigan. In the 1st half, Deion broke up four passes thrown in his direction and was not thrown at in the 2nd half. FSU left Ann Arbor with an easy win and a piece of the Big House stadium turf (before Michigan Stadium went synthetic) in hand.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1