Charles Fischer

Lanning Close to a Verbal From Rivals 2024 5-Star Linebacker--Over Georgia?

Justin Williams of Conroe, Texas has his pick of the top teams such as Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State...and now Oregon.  He is making his decision yet this summer, and most think it is an Georgia-Oregon battle in the end.

Few in the US have the track record of Dan Lanning while he was with the Dawgs, and he wants to make Williams a centerpiece of what he is building on the west coast. Note he is not large, but athletic and fast, the trademark of the Bulldog linebackers who were the freaks who made the 4-2-5 MINT defense so difficult for opponents.

Keep in mind that the players that Georgia have committed, and are in the thick of for their verbal is simply crazy...what we would dream about.  But Dano has us in this, as he does so many other 4/5-Stars out there. The mods and Dawg fans on the Georgia On3 site seem to be getting less and less confident than they were even a week ago about Justin Williams.

Most admit that it is razor thin, but Lanning's relationship might be edge; interesting quotes from him about the two locations:

“Two different places. Hard to say which one is better.”

“Oregon is like family. Georgia is a tough atmosphere, but you can live your life.”

Justin Williams, 2024 Inside Linebacker - Rivals.com

• Let’s hope! 4

Mr. FishDuck

I agree Charles that this is an interesting case. Georgia's inside linebacker room is absolutely stacked with top talent and the path to significant playing time is likely much shorter in Eugene. Oregon will have the higher NIL offer I'd bet, but Georgia has the proven road to NFL draft success for MLBs that is hard to match. Indeed, the Tampa Bay Bucks head coach sent his own MLB son to Georgia for its developmental potential with talented MLBs.

Is Justin Williams per chance an outside LB? If so that may favor the Ducks for that is what Lanning coached in an on-hands manner in Athens. This is the time  of the year that  tries the souls of LB recruiters (and recruitnik  fans) as kids take their officials and have more and to  think about. This is why so  many recruits become more uncertain about where they are going and do more thinking about what is best for them as individuals. Trying to  guess and feel  confident about the mental machinations of 18-year-old kids can almost drive the hard-core recruitnik to drink.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 7/5/2023 at 2:49 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Trying to  guess and feel  confident about the mental machinations of 18-year-old kids can almost drive the hard-core recruitnik to drink.

Coaches AND Fans...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/5/2023 at 5:49 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I agree Charles that this is an interesting case. Georgia's inside linebacker room is absolutely stacked with top talent and the path to significant playing time is likely much shorter in Eugene. Oregon will have the higher NIL offer I'd bet, but Georgia has the proven road to NFL draft success for MLBs that is hard to match. Indeed, the Tampa Bay Bucks head coach sent his own MLB son to Georgia for its developmental potential with talented MLBs.

Is Justin Williams per chance an outside LB? If so that may favor the Ducks for that is what Lanning coached in an on-hands manner in Athens. This is the time  of the year that  tries the souls of LB recruiters (and recruitnik  fans) as kids take their officials and have more and to  think about. This is why so  many recruits become more uncertain about where they are going and do more thinking about what is best for them as individuals. Trying to  guess and feel  confident about the mental machinations of 18-year-old kids can almost drive the hard-core recruitnik to drink.

I said it before and I am now telling you Nevada Dawg, Dan has UGA nation's attention.  You put a guy that understands to win at recruiting you have to be relentless and frankly, ruthless.  Pair that win the infrastructure and support Oregon has and you start seeing results.  

We still have to see if Dan can keep his staff as motivated as he needs to but he certainly looks the part now that's for sure.

Edited by amcdawg
Add more information
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

You are telling me nothing that I didn't already know AMC Dawg and have been saying as much on this blog all this recruiting season whenever I had any meaningful information to  add. But hey, all is good and Duck fans will enjoy and appreciate the feedback on Lanning's recruiting prowess from a Dawg fan in addition to me.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nevada Dawg and AMC Dawg, so great to have you 2 Dawgs on the board, and thanks for all of your comments. 

Be careful what you wish for, right? But the next time Puddles goes up against UGA, I hope it is in a neutral neutral site like the Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl in a playoff game. 

Best of luck in 2023 going for the 3-peat. I see LSU giving Georgia a more difficult game in the SEC champ game in the ATL. 

• Go Ducks! 1

It seems that Dylan Williams is now trending away from the Ducks after favoring Oregon recently.  Maybe this is because Justin Williams may come to Eugene?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

4-star LB trending away from Ducks ahead of Friday commitment

On 7/6/2023 at 7:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Nevada Dawg and AMC Dawg, so great to have you 2 Dawgs on the board, and thanks for all of your comments. 

Be careful what you wish for, right? But the next time Puddles goes up against UGA, I hope it is in a neutral neutral site like the Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl in a playoff game. 

Best of luck in 2023 going for the 3-peat. I see LSU giving Georgia a more difficult game in the SEC champ game in the ATL. 

Indeed, for that next matchup: Me too!!! That tells us that both teams had a great season in whatever year the matchup occurs. And while honesty  compels me to admit that I would pull for the Dawgs, should Oregon advance, I'd feel that I hadn't actually lost and would be screaming like crazy for the Ducks to vanquish their next foe.

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:17 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

...should Oregon advance, I'd feel that I hadn't actually lost and would be screaming like crazy for the Ducks to vanquish their next foe.

I have always rooted for the team that beat my team to go all the way. That way, who's to say that my team isn't second best? Georgia repeating last year made the opening loss not sting so bad, especially being the first game for a new coach, new system, etc.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, kirklandduck said:

It seems that Dylan Williams is now trending away from the Ducks after favoring Oregon recently.  Maybe this is because Justin Williams may come to Eugene?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

4-star LB trending away from Ducks ahead of Friday commitment

No school including Alabammy can get them all. But stay in the running late for 4* and 5* guys and you will get your share. To me, it's kind of amazing how so many quality recruits have Oregon on their shortlist.

• Go Ducks! 1

There seems to be some rumblings out there that the talk of Williams trending away was started by some mods on and MSU board.   They seemed to change their tone later because they were wishing death upon the founder of Nike and suggesting that MSU fans stop buying Nike.  Not sure how much credence we can put in any of this but when we start wishing death upon our opponents maybe it's time to turn in our 'fan' cards.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sparty fans may want to ask: Tuck comin' but is his paycheck comin'?