Jon Joseph

CBS Sports Ranks the Pac-12 Football Coaches

Lanning at 6 seems to me to be a rank ranking. Riley at 1? OK but at OK he went playoff 0-4. And in last season's NY6 bowl, Riley lost to a G5 team. Shouldn't you have to coach a little bit of defense to be ranked #1? And the Chipper at 3? This just in, Chip is no longer coaching in Eugene. Chip ahead of J Smith when considering the locale, and facilities is senseless. Has any recent head coach hire received more pub than CU hiring Prime Time? Shouldn't DeBoer have to do 2022 at least once more? DeBoer appears to be getting a lot of Sioux Falls love while Prime's efforts at J State appear to have gone under the CBS radar.

Nice work by the author noting that Oregon has to play at UW and USC in 2023! Sir, I think the other game you intended to mention is at Utah. Oh well, it's just the Pac-12, right?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Where does Sanders rank among his Pac-12 counterparts ahead of his first season as a Power Five coach?

Note, the top 3 ranked coaches went 0-3 in last season's bowl games. UCLA under Chip has never played for a conference title and blew a late lead against Pitt in the Sun Bowl. Dan with a hobbled QB took down UNC and touted QB Drake Maye in the Holiday Bowl. J Smith and the Beavers stomped and chomped the Gators in Las Vegas. 

FWIW - IMO -

1. Coach Whit 

2. J. Smith

3. Riley

4. T - DL and DeBoer. - So great that in 2023 we'll see Coach Lanning against Whit, J. Smith, Riley, and DeBoer.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love it.  Oregon and Lanning are underrated, so, pundits, get back to me after the 2023 season!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Riley has a 1-4 bowl record! 

Most overratted coach in D1.

The trip to Lubbock will be a major test for Coach Lanning and the staff. The Red Raiders and the team's fans will be mega-fired up as will be QB Tyler Shough trying to defeat his once-upon-a-time team.

Will Oregon be able to match an up-and-coming Tech program in this tough road test?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/why-texas-tech-is-the-big-12s-top-sleeper-title-contender-2023

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:14 PM, Duckhart said:

Riley has a 1-4 bowl record! 

Most overratted coach in D1.

Duck, I agree. But with the loss to Tulane and the 4 playoff losses I think his bowl record is 1-5. Thanks for the post.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 5:57 PM, cartm25 said:

I completely disagree that Riley is overrated. The guy wins 11 games a year like clock work. In ONE year he improved USC from a 4-8 team to 11-3.

USC was one win away from the CFP but their Heisman winning QB was injured and playing on one foot in the P12 championship.

A coach that churns out 11 wins a year and Heisman winning QBs with conveyor belt-like consistency . . . Yeah, I’ll take that all day, every day.

I also think non-CFP bowl game results say as much about a head coach as preseason college football rankings are accurate; dubious measures for sure.

RE: CBS rankings, I’m fine with them except I think Chip Kelly should be behind Dan Lanning. So that would put DL top 5 in the conference.

Another way of looking at it is what P12 coach would I want to take over if DL wasn’t around. My order of preference would be as follows:

1. Riley

2. DeBoer

3. Smith

4. Dillingham

5. Kelly

6. Whittingham

7. DON’T CARE BEYOND THIS POINT

DeBoer at 2? Where is Lanning on your list?

Riley needs to cross the threshold + get back to the playoff and win his first playoff game. He had great success in the B12 with a roster matched only by dysfunctional Texas. 

In the B1G, he will not have a roster leg up on Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. And games versus Iowa and Wisconsin and even on the road at Maryland will not be lay-ups. IMO, bringing back Grinch was a B1G mistake. 2023 would have been a year to get a new D staff integrated before changing conferences.

Williams being hurt was not good but Williams does not play defense. And I think a loss to a G5 team in the Cotton Bowl is not a good showing for a guy who is supposed to be all that. In 2024 Williams will not be along for the B1G ride.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, cartm25 said:

Another way of looking at it is what P12 coach would I want to take over if DL wasn’t around.

Riley is a whiney loser. The more that’s on the line, the more Riley whines (and loses).

I would take Lane Kiffen over Riley, and Kiffen is baaaaaaaaad. 

Whittingham, DeBoer, Stewart are all great. I wouldn’t take them over Lanning. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, cartm25 said:

I completely disagree that Riley is overrated. The guy wins 11 games a year like clock work. In ONE year he improved USC from a 4-8 team to 11-3.

USC was one win away from the CFP but their Heisman winning QB was injured and playing on one foot in the P12 championship.

Oregon beat Utah with a quarterback playing on one leg, so that excuse for USC's loss isn't very convincing IMHO. 

USC's meltdown against Marshall on the other hand is very convincing if you are suspicious of Riley's long term success.

Fascinating how little respect Oregon gets from the “press” (whatever that means today). USC is ranked 4th in preseason polls and Oregon is ranked below WA and Utah. I’ve seen this a lot ever since Oregon started to win with Chip and win and recruit with Cristobal and Lanning.

I’ll never forget one year, when Oregon won the conference and was clearly the best team, how the coaches and players were snubbed in the postseason awards. 

Of course the best “revenge” is to win and continue to win. Polls and opinions (especially opinions shaped by ill will and envy) don’t mean much. 

Oregon’s recruiting and coaching mean Oregon will be the dominant PAC team for the foreseeable future (even if USC had stayed). 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/6/2023 at 12:09 AM, cartm25 said:

Haha, I do like seeing Riley complain, but I would call him a whiny winner; his teams win a lot.

I’d take Riley over all the coaches you listed, except for Lanning.

I don’t mean for my defense of Riley to mean that I would prefer him over Lanning. I don’t.

It’s just befuddling to me that some will call Riley overrated when he averages 11 wins a season, has produced 3 Heisman trophy winning QBs and 4 CFP appearances in 6 years as a head coach. Not a single coach in the P12 comes close to that track record over a 6 year span.

Shouldn't he have to defeat Whit to be ranked above Whit? And Whit has a far less talented, on paper, roster.

• Great post! 1

On 7/6/2023 at 11:04 AM, cartm25 said:

I don't think so.

By that standard, Whittingham should be ranked below Lanning until he beats him. That doesn't seem right to me.

When comparing two coaches holistically, historical track record has to matter, and not simply who won their first head-to-head matchup in 2022.

Match-ups, not match-up?  I understand your well-made point but if you have a Blue Chip Roster and lose twice in the same season to a coach whose roster is not close in talent are you the better coach?

In a current ranking, recent on-field results have to matter. Which is why I can't quibble all that much with DeBoer coming ahead of Lanning. I prefer the value of recent results and not results based on what a coach did in another conference. One of the reasons I believe that Chip, although he had great success in the conference at Oregon is based on current results, way overrated as the number 3 coach in the conference.

Again, with all due respect, this is supposed to be a current ranking and not a Hall of Fame ballot.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/6/2023 at 8:59 PM, cartm25 said:

If you were Oregon AD and Dan Lanning decided to quit football today, you would hire Kyle Whittingham over Lincoln Riley?

Probably not based on age and recruiting prowess but I would insist that Riley leave the Grinch who stole defense behind. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Records for well-known coaches versus top 25 competition. Riley is looking good here coming in 4th nationally against the big boys even with going 0-4 in the playoff. Didn't hurt to play all of those over-ranked dysfunctional Longhorn teams. Oregon has the honor of defeating the #1 ranked coach, Ohio State's Ryan Day. Interesting that Kirby 'Get' Smart beats out Saint Nick.

247SPORTS.COM

Some coaches are worth their weight in gold.

Edited by Jon Joseph