Charles Fischer

The Pac-12 Could be Saved by....Saudi Arabia?

My Duck-Buddies...you gotta know what the future holds, and Josh Pate is sharing it. All I can say is....wow.

"Money is undefeated against morality in sports."  "This is inevitable...this is coming....this is going to happen."  "The Pac-12 is desperate as they are negotiating their media contract." 

"The English Premier League has done it...WWE has done it...LIV merging with the PGA...and next it is college football funded by Saudi Arabian money."

This is compelling, and the discussion about the Pac-12 starts at 10:45, and then....

...the Saudis could save Olympic sports when football players are paid?

giphy.gif

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

No offense but screw that!!!!

The last thing we need is Saudi continuing to sportswash our sports, it's bad enough that it's gotten into soccer, golf, F1, and about to go into all the sports in the D.C area, we don't need the money of a murderous autocracy that denies the basic human rights of women, the LGBTQ+ community, and anyone that disagrees with the regime and has the balls to say something.  If they begin to be a direct support system to the Pac-10/12 then I'll have to seriously consider stop watching.

Edited by spartan2785
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hey, I didn’t say I approve or like it, but I am simply sharing what is being discussed.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sorry I didn't think you were approving it, I can see why you thought that, I just meant the idea really disgusts me, I know we are about to get into politics so I'll just stop, but sorry for making you think I thought you were promoting the idea!

• Thumbs Up 2

No sweat-thanks for posting!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

There is nothing altruistic about college football. If the Saudis bring a stack of cash the Pac will play ball.

Moral standards be darned. Uyghurs still make shoes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/7/2023 at 3:12 AM, Log Haulin said:

There is nothing altruistic about college football. If the Saudis bring a stack of cash the Pac will play ball.

Moral standards be darned. Uyghurs still make shoes.

Nike doesn't use forced labor. I could say a lot more, but will leave it at Go Ducks!

There are so many things wrong with this I have no idea where to start. Quit watching golf and it looks like college sports could be next. 🙏🏼 it doesn’t happen.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Money is not evil. The love of money is evil. 

The love of money has turned a regional sport played in the sunshine 10 times on Saturday afternoons, with a select few going to post-season games, into the behemoth we see today. When coaches are making $9M plus per annum to coach the game of football no wonder players want more than Taj Mahal-like facilities, they understandably want a bigger piece of the pie. 

All of this cash will inevitably lead to NFL Lite with few schools wanting to be employers of athletes, a players union, salary caps for a team but no restriction on NIL, bargained restrictions on transfers, players being drafted out of high school, and all games being broadcast via pay-for-view. One wonders if the game at the highest level will be played by student-athletes or just athletes. Will Florida put a team on the field or Florida, owned and operated by Gatorade with the players being employees of Gatorade, on the field?

Thanks for this post, Charles. Even if the news is disturbing, don't shoot the messenger. While decidedly different today from not so long ago, CFB is still a great sport but money is causing its destruction as an amateur sport.

BTW, how would you like to be a pro golfer today who stayed 'loyal' when fellow pros who scored $100M + to abandon the PGA are now again your competitors? The PGA asked for help from Congress and heard crickets. It will not be any different with the NCAA seeking Congressional help. Money matters everywhere and it certainly matters to politicians seeking election or reelection. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/7/2023 at 6:41 AM, Haywarduck said:

Nike doesn't use forced labor. I could say a lot more, but will leave it at Go Ducks!

Perhaps thats true. Don't know for sure. They do make shoes though. My point is the fact that often, regardless of where the cash comes from, folks can get slimey.

College football as a whole has proven that with shady NIL, conference realignment and media contracts.

It's only going to get worse. Some of us will be ok with it and others will walk away. Hopefully it gets turned around. We are talking about piles of cash though, so I won't hold my breath.

Hope these kids can pry away as much cash out from the grip of these self proclaimed "VIP's" as possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/7/2023 at 12:10 PM, Jon Joseph said:

BTW, how would you like to be a pro golfer today who stayed 'loyal' when fellow pros who scored $100M + to abandon the PGA are now again your competitors? The PGA asked for help from Congress and heard crickets.

Those pro's who stayed are upset bc they missed out on a $100M payday, while the ones that moved to LIV took the risk of never playing in the PGA again and were paid handsomely for it. I'm mad b/c I had cash to spend on BTC when it was $400 and chose not to risk it, is it right that I get mad at those that did take that risk and made money hand over fist? Not at all. It's risk vs reward...

On 7/7/2023 at 12:53 PM, Wrathis said:

Those pro's who stayed are upset bc they missed out on a $100M payday, while the ones that moved to LIV took the risk of never playing in the PGA again and were paid handsomely for it. I'm mad b/c I had cash to spend on BTC when it was $400 and chose not to risk it, is it right that I get mad at those that did take that risk and made money hand over fist? Not at all. It's risk vs reward...

As far as the whole Saudi thing, I don't get mad, just not something I would do. Those who make those type of morality decisions have to live with it. I can live with mine. 

As far as the risk on BTC, still a risk, but not necessarily a moral one. In my opinion buying BTC isn't investing it is putting money on a gamble. I do that at times for fun when the lottery gets huge, kind of a fun way to spend $2, but probably wouldn't want to win.

I will say as big time college football grows, I will grow away if it gets too messy. There is something grand about a student athlete competing, and becoming someone stronger while building something bigger than themselves, a team.

If it gets to the point where the teams are just uniforms, and the players just using them to try make more money, I'm out. That is what has happened to the NBA and most professional sports.

At this point in my life I would rather watch water struggle on its way to the ocean, mountains try to reach for the sky. I am still curious about what I can do as I age too. Seeing selfish individuals fight over the dollar, not so much.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's an idea that's deeply unsettling for me, I'll leave it at that.  That being said, stranger things have happened.

Dan Lanning makes us ignore this other nonsense so much easier!  We get to real football soon!

A BIG first down by Bo Nix! 

Bo Nix at the bottom of another 4th down made_Fox Sports Video.jpg

(An appropriate time to run him between the tackles!)

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

If we were truly righteous about our lives, this world would look a whole lot different right now.  But as the saying goes, put your money where your mouth is.  If you feel strongly about the Saudis, stop buying gasoline that comes from the Middle East.  

I don't see that happening anytime soon.  So if the Saudis mind their own business, let's use their finances until we can replace them.  I actually care about Oregon State and WSU.

Despite being the snob I am,  I prefer to have a West Coast football identity as part of the college football landscape.  Of course I don't want OBD thriving in a suspect conference- that just stinks on all kinds of levels. 

Until an AMERICAN COMPANY steps up to make the numbers work, let's keep our options open.  

Make the PAC12 Great Again...damn it.

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not all is well on the golfing front.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

Randall Stephenson resigned from the PGA Tour policy board, saying he cannot support its framework deal with the Saudi...

If Pac-10 football does get The Kingdom involved there will be blowback.

Members of the Senate who heard from PGA officials at yesterday's hearing, Greg Norman and 'The Prince' were surprisingly (?) unavailable to testify, are not thrilled about the PGA's proposed deal with the Saudis. 

And talk about caving in. Part of the deal has 'His Excellency' being invited to join Augusta National.

Does 'Principal' have any meaning today? Likely a rhetorical question so what not see if the Mafia can come with laundered cash? 

image.gif.fe482b21f5be243356c221190ca6bd72.gif