Jon Joseph

Pac-12 Quarterbacks Ranked by Ducks Wire Heading Into the 2023 Season

Dante Moore gets a lot of love from the folks at DW. Will he even get the starting nod in Westwood? Bo Nix beats out the returning Heisman Trophy winner? Gotta love this as a Ducks fan but I think in the vast majority of rankings you would see Bo behind Williams and probably behind Penix. Has the conference ever had a deeper group of QBs?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Pac-12 QB class is as deep as it’s ever been. Which school should feel the best based on what their passer has done over...

A quarterback could be named as Pac-12 honorable mention....and come out looking better in the post-season.  These QBs are good-good-or-good....

But I'll take mine...

Bo Nix Poster_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

For me it boils down to Penix, Williams, Rising and Bo. And in no particular order because they are all so close. Chances are good that one of these 4 could win the Heisman.

These 4 will be lighting up scoreboards week in and week out. My favorite is Bo because I am a Duck homer. 

The team with the best performimg defense will put their team in the CFP. And maybe even decide the eventual Heisman winner.

My money is on DL's defense causing chaos and having some epic performances. And even with a vastly improved D the Ducks will need to average 45 points plus per game to make the CFP.

Beating one of the following teams, Utah, uw, usc and even OSU twice to win the PAC Title will be a big task. Having a 5th year starting QB is a big plus for OBD's.

Yhe article is right on... Bo Nix will be the top dog. Just no running between the tackles, please.....

• Let’s hope! 1

Repeat Heismann?  Happened just once.  USuC will falter at some point, 10-2 would be the over for me.  Rising probably won't even play all season, the knee injury, we'll see.  Phenix gets a lot of love, deservedly, but I think he and the mutts backslide a but this year.  Nix has the better tools all around 

The PAC is completely loaded at QB this year! If proffering out my opinion, it's hard to bet against Williams. What I saw of him last year was impressive, and Penix just led the nation in passing. The X-factor for Nix (and to a lesser degree Rising) is their mobility and ability to run the football. In the end I'm taking Caleb to repeat bc they've added in Singer, so he'll have plenty of people to throw to. That's the other thing, the talent at receiver for these QB's! Williams has Mario Williams and Singer (with Branch waiting to be the next man up), Penix has McMillan, Odunze and Polk while Franklin and Johnson will be blazing the trail for Nix. 

With all that superstar talent it's easy to forget about DeLaura down in the desert throwing bombs to Cowing and MacMillan or Shedeur Sanders dropping dimes to Hunter and possibly McClain! I mean, what does it say when DJU, Cam Ward and DeLaura are the 2nd tier QB's in a conference?!  Dollar for dollar I expect the PAC to be the most exciting conference in football this year and it should really be something for GK to build and capitalize on!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 4:02 AM, JDuck said:

Repeat Heismann?  Happened just once.  USuC will falter at some point, 10-2 would be the over for me.  Rising probably won't even play all season, the knee injury, we'll see.  Phenix gets a lot of love, deservedly, but I think he and the mutts backslide a but this year.  Nix has the better tools all around 

The repeat should not have happened. Cal's RB Chuck Muncie who went on the make 3 Pro Bowls in the NFL was far better than Griffin in Archie's repeat season. Toby Gerhart at Stanford is another guy along with McCaffery who should have won the trophy.

But 'character' mattered then and as the saying went you only saw Chuck on campus on Saturdays. 

Williams has the benefit of playing both Cal and Stanford and also the benefit of playing against Rising and Penix in LA. Plus, with the Grinch Who Stole Defense on the sideline, it will be necessary for Caleb to win a lot of shootouts. I like the Ducks running game far more than SC's. I think Williams (and Penix) will throw a lot more passes, especially with Kliff Kingsbury helping out on the O side, than will Nix. The Heisman and the All-Conference QB spots are stat driven. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/10/2023 at 10:17 AM, cartm25 said:

I'm still a bit disheartened that he spurned the Ducks . . . he looks like the real deal:

If Oregon kills it this fall, and UCLA doesn't......

giphy.gif

• Whew! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/10/2023 at 1:17 PM, cartm25 said:

@Wrathis Great post! I would also put Williams and Penix above (slightly) Nix because I believe they can pick you apart from the pocket.

Williams seems to be the best thrower and also has the wheels if he needs them . . . reminds me of Patrick Mahomes.

Bo Nix needs the run game, and/or the threat of him running, to be incredibly dangerous. I see Nix as more of a play action QB rather than one that can dice opposition up standing in the pocket. But when he is on (running and passing) it sure is a sight to behold.

@Jon Joseph I think you're right to question Dante Moore since he's done literally nothing yet at the collegiate level, but take a look at these highlights. I realize these highlights may not indicate future success, but he sure does pass the "eye test"; long throws, touch throws, anticipation throws, under pressure, etc. I'm still a bit disheartened that he spurned the Ducks . . . he looks like the real deal:

If Dante gets the starting nod he will have 3 cupcakes to devour before playing P5 competition. Although Coastal Carolina is a tricky game and you know the Aztecs will be fired up to beat the Bruins in Snapdragon. 

With no Oregon and UW, UCLA is a legit dark horse for the conference title but games at Utah, Oregon State, and across town versus SC will be tough.

Wow! In 2023, 6 teams on paper have a legit shot at the conference title. There will be no deeper conference in 2023 including the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:47 AM, Charles Fischer said:

If Oregon kills it this fall, and UCLA doesn't......

giphy.gif

Ha!

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts . . .

I was in no way insinuating that Dante Moore/UCLA is going to be better, or more successful, than Bo Nix/Oregon in 2023. I'm interested in the long game, as well.

Simply saying he looks like he could be real good, and would have loved to have him in the Oregon Duck fold. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:18 AM, cartm25 said:

I was in no way insinuating that Dante Moore/UCLA is going to be better, or more successful, than Bo Nix/Oregon in 2023.

Understood.  I meant that if Oregon looks more attractive as an offense, and we need an experienced QB for 2024...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, cartm25 said:

I realize these highlights may not indicate future success, but he sure does pass the "eye test"; long throws, touch throws, anticipation throws, under pressure, etc. I'm still a bit disheartened that he spurned the Ducks . . . he looks like the real deal:

I'm still heart broken at the loss of Moore! To date I've made one campaign contribution in my life, and one NIL donation (Moore's HS team was taking donations for new jerseys and the like) and both left me feeling like a putz. That being said, I was confident then that he was the real deal and he's gonna have to completely flop to convince me otherwise...but the idea of him coming back into the flock so to speak would really make me excited!  Here's hoping!!!

Edited by Wrathis
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, Wrathis said:

I'm still heart broken at the loss of Moore! To date I've made one campaign contribution in my life, and one NIL donation (Moore's HS team was taking donations for new jerseys and the like) and both left me feeling like a putz. That being said, I was confident then that he was the real deal and he's gonna have to completely flop to convince me otherwise...but the idea of him coming back into the flock so to speak would really make me excited!  Here's hoping!!!

I have pondered NIL deals and the issue of the 13th Amendment's prohibition on Indentured Servitude.

The NCAA today allows for a one-time free transfer. If Dante or any other player is subject to an NIL contract can this agreement be voided based upon the 13th Amendment or otherwise? Does the NCAA's right to one-free transfer void, with a likely return of money already received, an existing NIL deal signed by the player and his parents or guardian if he is under the age of being permitted to enter into a contract?

Do any of these agreements have escape clauses? Jaden Rashada, now at ASU, had a NIL deal with Florida that was breached prior to inception. Different from what Dante likely signed on for at UCLA.

Cue the lawyers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea what any contract looks like, but they are supposed to be 100% separate from schools.  If that truly happens or not is another story.  However, I am guessing they are year to year, so if you get a NIL deal while playing for UCLA, I'm guessing if you transfer to Oregon the next year, that NIL deal will not be renewed. 

I don't know the percentage of players getting new NIL deals with their new schools, but I'm guessing if you were getting one at your old school, you will be getting one at your new school.  I don't think any player is going to be missing out by transferring.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2023 at 11:01 AM, Tandaian said:

I have no idea what any contract looks like, but they are supposed to be 100% separate from schools.  If that truly happens or not is another story.  However, I am guessing they are year to year, so if you get a NIL deal while playing for UCLA, I'm guessing if you transfer to Oregon the next year, that NIL deal will not be renewed. 

I don't know the percentage of players getting new NIL deals with their new schools, but I'm guessing if you were getting one at your old school, you will be getting one at your new school.  I don't think any player is going to be missing out by transferring.

Therein lies the rub. Deal disclosure is not required so it is hard to know the terms and conditions. FWIW, it was reported that the hot-shot QB recruit who signed with Tennessee has a four-year deal. Was money front-loaded with a bonus? If so, I see no way out without returning at least a portion of the money received. The NIL deals are no doubt signed by the player if he meets the age of majority to enter into a contract and if not, by his parents or guardians. I would not be surprised if NIL deals have restrictions on transfers.