Jon Joseph

15 College Football Teams in Contention for the Final Final 4

When Pro Football Focus (PFF) talks, I listen. PFF IMO and more importantly in the opinion of NFL scouts does the best job of rating college football (CFB) players.

This article was 'covered' and reproduced by Don Smalley of Ducks Wire/USA. I like the DW site but Don? Don notes that it will be difficult for Michigan to go to the playoff 2 years in a row. Really? Michigan participated in the playoff in 2021/22, losing to Georgia, and in 2022/23 losing to TCU. Georgia is going for a championship 3-pete, and Michigan is going for a playoff 3-pete. Don also notes that it will be difficult this season for Ohio State not to be boxed out by Michigan. This was not the case last season when both Michigan and Ohio State went to the playoff. 

I also do not agree with Don's assessment of the teams that will make the final Final 4. Don has a field of Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, and USC.

Alabama somehow in the midst of great recruiting classes whiffed at the QB and WR positions. Bama had to bring in a QB late from Notre Dame, a QB who was beaten out by Wake transfer, Sam Hartman, to join Bama's new OC from Notre Dame, Tommy Rees. The UW OC turned down the job!  

Bama fans argue that Bama lost twice last season at Tennessee and at LSU on the last play of the game. But they fail to mention that The Tide also defeated Texas in Austin and A+M in Tuscaloosa in the final minute of these games. And that was with a magician, Bryce Young, at QB. I have LSU with the best QB in the SEC, Jayden Daniels, winning its opener versus FSU and also winning in Tuscaloosa where it will join Georgia on the Dawgs way to a 3-pete, not accomplished since Minnesota pulled off the hat trick in the 1930s. (I was not alive, I'm not certain about Charles.)

I know the game is in Ann Arbor but I think Ohio State wins the Michigan game this season. Ohio State with a game at Notre Dame out-of-conference (OOC) will have a better strength of schedule than will Michigan which plays no team with a heartbeat OOC. Ohio State also plays Penn State in Columbus and Michigan trips to Happy Valley. Final season with divisions in the B1G so Michigan and Ohio State cannot rematch in the B1G champ game.

USC? The Grinch who stole the defense is still on board and I see no possible way that USC will repeat 2022's astounding +22 turnover margin in 2023. SC does have a favorable schedule compared to Oregon, Utah, and UW but with as deep as the Pac-12 will be in 2023 and with playing 9 regular season conference games, I don't see any Pac-12 team finishing with fewer than 2 losses. I see suffering one loss in Autzen, with a real possibility that Troy and the Ducks will rematch in the Pac-12 champ game. Oregon is one of PFF's Sweet 15. 

I like Georgia as the 1 seed playing 4 seed Clemson (Clemson plays FSU and Notre Dame at home) in the Sugar Bowl with 2 seed Ohio State playing LSU in the Rose Bowl. 

Your thoughts?

WWW.PFF.COM

Florida State, Texas and LSU are among the College Football Playoff contenders ahead of the 2023-24 college football season.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Can the Pac-12 end its CFP drought in 2023? PFF thinks that one of these four teams is certainly capable of doing so.

Sorry, Dude but I'm taking the Ducks and Over 9.5 wins.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

No. 18 Oregon is in an interesting place in the Pac-12. The program is well established, but with UCLA and USC leaving for...

I don't get why SC (well, I kind of do get it) receives all kinds of positive PR with the transfer portal guys Troy is bringing in on D, and Lanning who has masterfully filled holes on the D out of the portal hears crickets. If I'm not mistaken, Grinch is still the OC at SC, right? And Troy will not be +22 in TOs in 2023.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/13/2023 at 1:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Sorry, Dude but I'm taking the Ducks and Over 9.5 wins.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

No. 18 Oregon is in an interesting place in the Pac-12. The program is well established, but with UCLA and USC leaving for...

I don't get why SC (well, I kind of do get it) receives all kinds of positive PR with the transfer portal guys Troy is bringing in on D, and Lanning who has masterfully filled holes on the D out of the portal hears crickets. If I'm not mistaken, Grinch is still the OC at SC, right? And Troy will not be +22 in TOs in 2023.

Sorry, Grinch as the DC can only foul up the D side of the ball.

Some good analysis and conclusions Jon. Thanks for bringing those facts and opinions to our attention.

• Thanks 1

Some nice love for the Ducks here. 1 of 8 teams picked to win the CFB title in 2023 and with a good shot at beating SC which is also on the list. And no Utah and no UW.

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

College football fans everywhere are craving its return. We're at the point in the summer in which it's felt like years since we last saw live co...

• Applause 1

5 not in contention? The answer is, 4? I certainly hope so.

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

Every single year, there are some college football teams that are so hyped up that they cannot possibly live up to the expectations...

On 7/13/2023 at 9:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

When Pro Football Focus (PFF) talks, I listen. PFF IMO and more importantly in the opinion of NFL scouts does the best job of rating college football (CFB) players.

This article was 'covered' and reproduced by Don Smalley of Ducks Wire/USA. I like the DW site but Don? Don notes that it will be difficult for Michigan to go to the playoff 2 years in a row. Really? Michigan participated in the playoff in 2021/22, losing to Georgia, and in 2022/23 losing to TCU. Georgia is going for a championship 3-pete, and Michigan is going for a playoff 3-pete. Don also notes that it will be difficult this season for Ohio State not to be boxed out by Michigan. This was not the case last season when both Michigan and Ohio State went to the playoff. 

I also do not agree with Don's assessment of the teams that will make the final Final 4. Don has a field of Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, and USC.

Alabama somehow in the midst of great recruiting classes whiffed at the QB and WR positions. Bama had to bring in a QB late from Notre Dame, a QB who was beaten out by Wake transfer, Sam Hartman, to join Bama's new OC from Notre Dame, Tommy Rees. The UW OC turned down the job!  

Bama fans argue that Bama lost twice last season at Tennessee and at LSU on the last play of the game. But they fail to mention that The Tide also defeated Texas in Austin and A+M in Tuscaloosa in the final minute of these games. And that was with a magician, Bryce Young, at QB. I have LSU with the best QB in the SEC, Jayden Daniels, winning its opener versus FSU and also winning in Tuscaloosa where it will join Georgia on the Dawgs way to a 3-pete, not accomplished since Minnesota pulled off the hat trick in the 1930s. (I was not alive, I'm not certain about Charles.)

I know the game is in Ann Arbor but I think Ohio State wins the Michigan game this season. Ohio State with a game at Notre Dame out-of-conference (OOC) will have a better strength of schedule than will Michigan which plays no team with a heartbeat OOC. Ohio State also plays Penn State in Columbus and Michigan trips to Happy Valley. Final season with divisions in the B1G so Michigan and Ohio State cannot rematch in the B1G champ game.

USC? The Grinch who stole the defense is still on board and I see no possible way that USC will repeat 2022's astounding +22 turnover margin in 2023. SC does have a favorable schedule compared to Oregon, Utah, and UW but with as deep as the Pac-12 will be in 2023 and with playing 9 regular season conference games, I don't see any Pac-12 team finishing with fewer than 2 losses. I see suffering one loss in Autzen, with a real possibility that Troy and the Ducks will rematch in the Pac-12 champ game. Oregon is one of PFF's Sweet 15. 

I like Georgia as the 1 seed playing 4 seed Clemson (Clemson plays FSU and Notre Dame at home) in the Sugar Bowl with 2 seed Ohio State playing LSU in the Rose Bowl. 

Your thoughts?

This is a really thoughtful post Jon and I could really see these events coming to pass.

On 7/15/2023 at 12:54 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And no Utah and no UW.

Utah has been a power in the Pac-12 no denying that... however, Utah hasn't been able to break through and win a NY6 game though they have been to the last two Rose Bowls.

UW hasn't been any better with their NY6 trips (back when Petersen was there) and they came away with a couple losses.

You know which team in the Pac that actually won a Rose Bowl recently? Oregon!

• Thumbs Up 1

It comes down to depth when you get to the end of the year. Most teams, Oregon included, may have to look at what qb depth they have. This may be the key to many of the predictions.

The one qb who gets little respect is Rising. I think he is going to surprise quite a few people. Utah may be the team who thumps both the dawgs and the spoiled children. That is if Rising stays healthy. The kid just knows how to win and the team is behind him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/20/2023 at 1:58 AM, David Marsh said:

Utah has been a power in the Pac-12 no denying that... however, Utah hasn't been able to break through and win a NY6 game though they have been to the last two Rose Bowls.

UW hasn't been any better with their NY6 trips (back when Petersen was there) and they came away with a couple losses.

You know which team in the Pac that actually won a Rose Bowl recently? Oregon!

Quite a few seasons back Utah defeated Alabama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl on 1/2/09. Utah was in the Mountain West. The Utes joined the Pac-12 in 2010. think this is the only big-time bowl win for the Utes.

Last 2 Rose Bowls, 2021, Utah had a running back playing as a DB, and Ohio State won a Rose Bowl shootout. In 2022, Utah was simply smash-mouthed by Penn State in the Rose Bowl in a very bad showing by Utah that drew the fewest number of Rose Bowl viewers in decades. 

Utah got a nice break last season playing CU before the champ game while SC played Notre Dame. But not the break SC potentially has this season with an Open Date the week prior to the champ game. My 2023 Pac-12 nightmare has USC playing UCLA in the champ game. 

image.thumb.gif.45ab59d8284eb0d1276bc35749ea3521.gif

On 7/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

My 2023 Pac-12 nightmare has USC playing UCLA in the champ game. 

That would be the worst thing for the conference. 

Right now I'm hoping for Oregon v Utah or perhaps even Oregon State (wouldn't that be something).or Washington (vomit). 

Utah has Oregon, Washington, OSU, USC and UCLA on the schedule. The California focuses scheduling is going to end because that is ridiculous how this currently protects those LA teams. 

Utah, Oregon, UW and OSU all get to run a real gau tlet right now with Utah getting it a bit worse because they have to play both LA teams. Everyone else on this list has to go through each other. 

USC gets to skip OSU this year and UCLA gets to skip Oregon and UW. Talk about convienant. Yes, I know scheduling is done often years in advance but I'll be happy to see this end. Especially since the championship game isn't bound to divisions anymore. 

But I'll throw out a bit of a long shot prediction... Oregon v Oregon state in the conference championship game. Oregon wins back to back against the beaves in the same season too. But for that to happen some crazy things will need to happen. 

• Applause 1

When I look at USC's schedule I see three losses, they aren't beating the ducks in Autzen in the last game between those two teams for a long while, it's just not going to happen, that will be one of the loudest environments that we have seen for a while imo, Riley will have a Lloyd Carr experience I feel like being surprised at the sort of environment Oregon can produce in high profile matchup.

I also see USC losing in South Bend, not to mention they still need to prove they can beat Utah.  They're probably the most overhyped team in the nation right now.  Last year they had the easiest schedule in the Pac-12 missing out on Washington and Oregon.  Even with this they almost lost to Cal, Arizona, and UCLA.  UCLA was decent, but there is no excuse for almost losing to Cal and Zona, especially Cal.  They did this all the while having an insane turnover margin that is almost certainly not going to continue.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2023 at 9:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Your thoughts?

WWW.PFF.COM

Florida State, Texas and LSU are among the College Football Playoff contenders ahead of the 2023-24 college football season.

Georgia will have a new QB, I pick the winner of the SEC CG as the likely 1, or tOSU and the SEC champ being a 2 if they have 1 loss.  Oregon will win the P12 and be undefeated as a 2 or 3 seed, Clemson or GA or LSU will be the 4, but they probably won't seed 2 teams from the same conference as 1 and 4 if they played each other in December.  Clemson, not sure they'll be better than 11-2, Notre Dumb won't make the playoff, nor will the B12.  Michigan, I agree, not this time Jimmy.  P12 will not get 2 teams in

• Let’s hope! 1