FishDuck Article

Bassa’s Perfect Blitzing Technique in Holiday Bowl

Watching the development of players is one of the smaller rewards of college football that is satisfying and part of our overall enjoyment of the sport. We see players break-out each year, and while that occurred a few years back for Jeffrey Bassa, when he moved from safety to linebacker–it was fun to see his exciting sack from perfect blitzing ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Watching the development of players is one of the smaller rewards of college football that is satisfying and part of our overall enjoyment of...
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Charles for the step by step breakdown of JB's blitzing technique on this play in the Holiday Bowl.

Running the video in real time truly showed how this blink of an eye swim move was executed perfectly.

In slow motion you can also feel how suprised the UNC Offensive lineman was because JB blew by him.

It was a thing of beauty.......

With the addition of Burch and experience of the D line we should see an increase in TFL's and sacks. Bassa should have a field day this season.

If OBD's want a CFP invite then Williams, Penix, Rising and DJU need to be sacked or chased off their mark.

Let chaos run supreme for the Duck D in 2023!

• Thumbs Up 1

Last seasons disappointment in our defense will be contrasted with the exhilaration of finally seeing Landing's defense come alive this season. 

This video gives us a hint of things to come, just what we need as we get close to fall camp, thanks.

I am sure the leaders of the defense are getting even more fired up than we are. It will be nice to see the right student athletes in the correct positions executing what Lanning wants to see, and the players skills allowing that to happen. 

Between the upgrade of our receiver corps, and the defense being filled up with the talent needed to execute the Lanning D, things are looking up, Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Excellent analysis Charles!  J. Bassa executed the blitz like it was a drill in practice against a standing bag.  Bassa will have the speed and technique to get many more this year.

I watched the media day interview with Jeffrey and Bo.  I do believe that Jeffrey has put on some more muscle mass since last year.  His arms, shoulders, and calves seemed to look ready to bust the seams of his suit jacket and pants!  He is one awesome linebacker.

By the way, watch #3 Dorlus bring held by the left tackle.  He gets to the QB a split second after Bassa.

I agree with HappyToBeADuck and Haywarduck - let chaos run supreme things are looking up for the Lanning defense!

• Applause 1

Bassa's sack was impressive given who he beat. #63 for UNC was a senior last year, started every game at left guard for the Tarheels and had over a thousand snaps in his college career. He had graded out in the mid-80s in several games and knew he was protecting one of the best QBs in the nation. No slouch.

At the Pac12 media day Bassa impressed with his obvious smarts, presence and what looked like leadership potential. Although he didn't grade out well on PFF last year, I would anticipate a very different score for the 2023 season. With the talent now at the edge and D-line, I would think the Mint LBs will create havoc and have some great days.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/24/2023 at 7:29 AM, Smith72 said:

I do believe that Jeffrey has put on some more muscle mass since last year.

He is at 228 pounds, up from 212 and will be more stout on run-support.  Jamal Hill is also almost 230 pounds, so the MONEY linebacker looks good.

Bassa and Irving were doing 300 pushups a day!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I do feel like the Holiday Bowl had at lot of moments that showed growth. Sure the win was only by 1 points and it looked pretty darn bad for the Ducks for the majority of the game but they made it work. 

I feel like Bassa really had a chance to shine. Brown did as well but he transfered out. 

Looking forward to seeing where this team can go this season. 

Jeffrey Bassa 'confident' in his body after offseason weight gain

Playing inside linebacker at 212 pounds didn't feel sustainable to Jeffrey Bassa.

It felt "unrealistic", he told DuckTerritory.com at Friday's Pac-12 Media Day in Las Vegas, to grow as a player without physically growing too. So after spending two seasons as undersized backer, Bassa worked this offseason to avoid making it a third.

"I wasn't satisfied at all. It didn't feel right," he said of his play at 212 last season. "Lanning, Tosh and some of the assistant coaches talked a lot about gaining weight in the offseason. So, I bulked up. That's something I attacked heavily.

"I'm at about 228 or 230 now. I put on a lot of good weight and I'm confident in my body now."

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon junior linebacker Jeffrey Bassa has gained nearly 20 pounds this offseason in an effort to become a better player in...

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Jeffrey Bassa ready for bigger leadership role entering junior season

Oregon junior linebacker Jeffrey Bassa was honored to represent the team in Las Vegas in what will be his first year as the leader of the linebacker room.

Jeffrey Bassa is ready to step into an even bigger leadership role this fall, and that much should be clear to anyone paying attention.

It wasn't by mistake that Bassa was in Las Vegas last week to represent the program at the Pac-12 Media Day. His presence speaks to his standing among the team, something not lost on the two-year starter either.

"It's a huge blessing and huge recognition for me," he told DuckTerritory.com of being the team's defensive representative. "I can't thank [the coaches] enough for sitting down and choosing me.

"The way that I carry myself on and off the field, I think that's something that played a huge role into their decision to bring me here. Doing the right things, living life the right way and getting things done in the classroom."

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon junior linebacker Jeffrey Bassa was honored to represent the team in Las Vegas in what will be his first year as the leader...

• Applause 1

I do have to say that Fox Sports had great camera angles and slow motion to help us see it that much easier.

I will have another analysis out in a few weeks about a perfect example of Dan Lanning's "Simulated Pressures" that I enjoyed.

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Bassa and Irving were doing 300 pushups a day!

Whoa.  That beats my 50!