Notalot

OT: The Great and Mighty Miami U

In 19 years in the ACC conference, Miami U has achieved:

- One 10-win season

- One Coastal Division (no longer Title)

- Finished in the Top 25 only 6 of 19 years

- Won 3 bowl games

Is Miami really  mighty? Mario has some tough paddling ahead against the current Miami has been in..

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I guess that’s why they hired Mario.

The guy can recruit, we know that, and you don’t win without talent.

The big question, however: Can he coach?

The jury is still out. Despite his inconsistent and somewhat lackluster performance with the Ducks — considering the talent he was able to bring to Eugene —he now has a chance to prove the critics wrong.

Will he?

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ducked, Can he recruit? Heck yes. Can he coach? If you love nailbiters including games vs outmanned FCS opponents then Mari (no O) is your Man.

" I never met a QB I couldn't screw up." Thank goodness that The U (a blue blood hemorrhaging for decades) decided to bring Cristobal home to Miami and Dano is on the scene in Eugene.

image.thumb.gif.ab634fd6a14f11ea2c86253a19669b3c.gif

• Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 8:23 AM, Notalot said:

In 19 years in the ACC conference, Miami U has achieved:

- One 10-win season

- One Coastal Division (no longer Title)

- Finished in the Top 25 only 6 of 19 years

- Won 3 bowl games

Is Miami really  mighty? Mario has some tough paddling ahead against the current Miami has been in..

The reason you only went 19 years back is because 20 years ago was the last time they were relevant. Twenty years ago is when they started to fire any coach who began to trend down. 

The last coach Manny Diaz trended down to 7-5 and was fired.

Cristobal took over and went 5-7. This is a record Miami has seen in 15 years. I would say the 'current' has been ok in Miami over the last 19 years, but Cristobal took them back to the dark days. 

This year is critical year and every modern day coach at Miami has improved their second year. I would say he has to improve this year or he is gone. He has to become relevant in year 3 or he is gone. Miami isn't mighty, but they have proven to be mighty quick in firing anyone who disappoints, even for one year.

After one season things are getting a little tight around Miami for Mario in year 1.

images.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 1

Miami has a lot of things that are go for it....and a lot of things that go against it.  Their facilities have always been pretty crappy, they have no on-campus stadium, they have a ton of teams that they have to fight recruits for, Miami as a city can be a huge distraction for players, and in the end it has a history now of embarrassing losses and no real identity anymore in how it plays.

They do have also have a lot of things that are plus, one of the best recruiting hotspots in the country, glitz of playing in Miami, it's still the U even those that are growing up today know it had a ton of glory years, facilities are improving.

When I write this it really is obvious that everything around it is a two edged sword.  They have a great recruiting base, but it makes them really reliant on South Florida.  The glitz of Miami means it can attract recruits, but it also makes for a huge distraction.  They can get coaches in, but the fan base has no patience since it's a professional sports fan base that has no real brand loyalty.  It's not an easy place to win nowadays.

You have to wonder the type of coach they'll be able to attract once they get rid of Cristobal.  

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

I truly hope Mario is successful at Miami.  I know this may be unpopular, but I actually like him.  I think he worked his tail off in Eugene, and I think his efforts really helped us after the Helfrich and Taggart regimes.  I think he genuinely cared for his players, and his players respected him and that reestablished some team discipline.  However, watching his offenses perform was excruciating.  Maddening.  I am happy that he left, and I think we are much better off with Coach Lanning.  It doesn't bother me at all that he went home to his family and his roots and his alma mater.  Yeah, maybe he checked out before the second Utah game, but ... whatever.  So I wish him well at Miami.  As long as they don't do better than the Ducks. 

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Thumbs Up 4

I was told the players grew very weary of Mario the last year.   They saw the game plans that exhibited no creativity and they also saw the chasm that developed between the coaches.   Mario had his buddies and the others were left out.  Case in point, very few went to Miami with him.  Other than Salavea, Mirabal, Feld and Woodiel none of the others went with him.  Yes, some got head coaching jobs but none took the big money to go with him.  Mario and Moorehead were barely speaking at the end of the year.

I raised a point in another thread that also stood out for me which is the culture.  Mario talked about culture and family but I don't think ever really knew how to cultivate culture and impart a family vibe.  Mario was always the smartest man in the room and I think the players picked up on that. 

I THINK Dan has developed culture and knows how to create the vibe.  A lot has been made over the fact that Nix babysits for Lanning but Dan also has his home open 24x7 for any player anytime.   Mario never did that and never had the players to his home.

Seems pretty obvious there is a whole different vibe around the team.  

• Great post! 1

I am sure Mario will figure it out...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck