lownslowav8r

Some Insight on the Colorado Debacle from Canzano

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

What happened? And what's next?

Let me know if this is not a public article and I'll excerpt more key sections. 

Colorado lost patience. The Pac-12’s ongoing media-rights negotiations had become a source of frustration, particularly for Chancellor Philip DiStefano. Keep in mind, he went public and said Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff needed to bring media-rights contract figures to a meeting scheduled last week. That didn’t happen. There was some “we prefer to be in the Pac-12” talk, too, but that may have been the final straw.

Like USC and UCLA, Colorado was apparently not that committed. Kliavkoff should have known that. He’s the commissioner, that’s on him. The biggest surprise for me in any of this is that the Pac-12 appears to have been caught by off guard for a second time in 13 months. That shouldn’t have happened.

— Three schools have departed the Pac-12 on Kliavkoff’s watch. Ranked in order of importance: USC, UCLA and Colorado. The Pac-12 is now the Pac-9. The conference has lost 25 percent of its membership in the last 13 months. It must pull the remaining nine schools together, get a deal done, and add members to ensure stability.

— On Wednesday morning as the news broke that Colorado was discussing a possible move to the Big 12, I reached out to several members of the Pac-12 CEO Group. 

One source framed it like this: “Another test of Colorado’s patience. Lots of pressure on them from inside and outside.” 

Pressure from where? Boosters? Regents? The head football coach?

— It’s no secret that Deion Sanders wanted to be in the Big 12. He’s not a forever guy in Boulder, but I can’t help but wonder how much his voice weighed in the equation. 

Rick George, the athletic director at Colorado, has hired/fired three football coaches in his tenure. Mike McIntyre, Mel Tucker and Karl Dorrell didn’t work out. The trio went a collective 43-66. Colorado football has been a non-factor since joining the Pac-12. Sanders arrival resulted in a sold-out stadium, a nationally televised spring game and some incredible upward trajectory before he’s even coached a game.

— I was told for a solid year by multiple members of the CEO Group that none of the other members would leave. I believed them. In fact, George himself told Jon Wilner and me in our podcast: “Why would you want to be in a conference where there’s 16 to 18, when you can be in a conference that is 10 to 12? Your opportunity, particularly when the top six-rated conferences have automatic (College Football Playoff) bids and the top-four have automatic byes, why would you leave?”

Same AD scurried out of the room last Friday on Pac-12 Media Day as reporters chased after him with questions about Colorado’s commitment to the Pac-12.

— Does Coach Prime win quicker in the Big 12 or Pac-12? 

Discuss

Edited by lownslowav8r

Can anyone summarize the article for those who do not subscribe to Canzano?

Thanks!

It's a pay to read for me.

I added more from the article. 

Yeah, if Deion had any say in moving to the Big 12, that is silly.  He is there what maybe 5 years?  However, I do think it is funny that he pretty much said it is going to be easier to win in the Big 12 than the PAC.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I hate to see it, I don’t see how this keeps from spiraling out of control. Any additional signs of instability just crushes any negotiating leverage GK thought he had. It’s a desperate situation now and PAC12 will sell media rights for pennies on the dollar which will scare more members out. There has to be a counter move now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Can’t read the article.

Colorado’s viewership was lower than all but one pack member last year. Colorado state earned more viewership. I realize prime time will move the needle a bit but it will eventually fall back after loosing most of their games this season. This move makes little to no sense unless they drag a quality pack team with them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, lownslowav8r said:

I added more from the article. 

Thanks

I did not post a summary because, as you can see....nothing new but a ton of "blah-blah."  We are not supposed to be reprinting them here, as that is a copyright violation that could get me in trouble.

With the hassles people are giving me right now? 

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/27/2023 at 12:18 PM, cartm25 said:

Forgive me if I don't really want to hear from Canzano right now; I'm a bit over Canzano at the moment.

Canzano's "hindsight 20/20" reporting is always spot on. But he's been pumping us full of rainbows about P12's future for the last several months (actually longer).

"Like USC and UCLA, Colorado was apparently not that committed."

Dennis Dodd (are we allowed to speak his name?) reported on Colorado flirting with the B12 two months ago.

Did GK ignore the warnings? Did he get duped AGAIN!? Not looking good for GK . . . or the Pac.

Res ipsa loquitur. The thing speaks for itself. Fool me once? But fool me twice!

• Thumbs Up 2

Here is George, if he was a pole vaulter. 'Hang on guys, I almost got this!'

giphy.gif

• Haha 1