1Funduck

The PAC's Survival is Questionable at Best

Just a few days ago I mentioned that I don't see Oregon going to the B1G. Then Colorado happened. More astutely, Kliavkoff happened. This is incredibly sad to watch the grinding of the 'Media Contract' take so long. It's inexcusable. Sure, Kliavkoff was dealt an incredibly poor hand and has been trying to hold water with his hands in a wind storm. It's a mess he inherited to be sure, but he took the job....period.

Now we have the demise of the PAC at the door step and its just sad. The destruction of a bygone era is upon us and we not look at College sports the same again.

This brings me to Oregon's destination. Yes, I've said UO is NOT going to the B1G, but that was under the pretense the PAC survives. Where does this leave Oregon? Well, things have changed and so has my viewpoint. Oregon and Washington to the B1G. Not because I want it, because I don't, but because the B1G can't afford to let the Big12 get them. Gaining Oregon and UW creates a solid presence up and down I-5 in the PAC time zone. It creates 3 natural opponents instead of only one which in turn helps with travel on the kids. 9 games in conference is basically 3 west coast and 3 home and away for the rest of the B1G. 

Only 3 games away helps in the grand scheme of things. Now, add Stanford and Cal and its 5 games in the Pod and 2x2 for the rest. IMO, the B1G needs to strike while they have a chance. They can lock down THE MEGA conference title in one fell swoop. They can even call this Pod the 'PAC Pod'.

I think I just 'V'erped in my mouth.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not counting the Pac 9 out yet.   There are options to replace CU, though I'm sure it's put a wrench in negotiations.  The networks need to know what and who they're paying for, and can rely on the teams that sign the contract agreement.

Negotiating a contract has to be difficult.  Rushing to accept an offer always means money is left on the table.  It takes time, walking away a few times, working out each detail to get the best deal.  I'm sure that's what our commissioner has been doing.  In addition, he may have multiple players he's working with, so I can see why it's taking time.

CU just lost patients, Sanders wanted to go to the Big 12, it's CU's roots, so they bailed . 

The PAC 12 will have five teams ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of the football season. And we will have five ranked after the conclusion of the season. What happened today does not change that.

Even after USC leaves, I am quite confident the coach Dillingham will have his team in the top 25 very soon, and we will again have five ranked teams because we have five great coaches.

The PAC 12 will still be the second strongest football league at the end of this season regardless of what happens with the lowly Buffs.

That is a lot to build upon…facts, not panicked feelings.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Let me start by saying that none of this makes me happy. I want the original XII back and for the SEC and BIG to stand pat as they were and the PAC to be as it was and survive. Schools like OR/WA State MATTER. It sucks to think of those schools getting left out in the cold so to speak. 

Here's a weird take. PAC fans should take out their ire on.....The University of Texas. Hear me out. Back in 2011 (I think that was the year) from what I understand there was an offer from the PAC to Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State. The snag? The Long Horn Network. Texas had just inked a sweet deal with ESPN for the LHN and spurned the efforts put forth by the XII to start a network (the reason why Nebraska, Mizzou, aTm, and Colorado left).

During that time the PAC12 was putting together their network that would debut in 2012. They told Texas that they would have to give up their 3rd tier rights to supplement the PAC12 network. Texas said no. The deal crumbled. Had it gone through the PAC would have buried the XII and USC and UCLA would still be in the league. 

Texas, to this point, has been a plague. 

You can't blame UT, they were looking out for their best interest and the PAC never had them, period! It's not like they had UT and then the LHN came in and UT backed out. Blame Larry Scott for the demise of the PAC!

• Thumbs Up 1

Texas's  arrogance is the major reason that the SEC has A&M, Missouri and (earlier) Arkansas. In this sense, you CAN blame  Texas for early conference instabilities. This is  why I never wanted them in the SEC, and if Oklahoma was coming over, I'd have rather  taken Oklahoma  State than Texas.

• Thumbs Up 2

The point that the PAC 12 has some excellent coaches and is one of the strongest football leagues in the nation at this time is a great one. The problem is that George Kliavkoff is perhaps the worse in the  nation at his job. The media rights deal should have been done months ago and had it been, we’d be looking at much different circumstances right now. 

This explosion of Schools going to Conferences that aren't even close to them is sickening. I'm ready for NCAA Football to negotiate under one giant umbrella. Like the NFL!

Is this whats going on? Get all the majors together under 3 or 4 major conferences and then negotiate as a unified League? It needs to happen. Then take these schools and put them back geographically where they belong. 4 Divisions of 16 teams. West Coast, East Coast, Southern, and Northern.

Why not? There's no loyalty anymore. Its all for the mighty dollar so you might as well unite and tell ESPN/FOX that you want absurd money.

Don't get me going, I might tell you how I really feel.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:08 PM, QuackAttack said:

You can't blame UT, they were looking out for their best interest and the PAC never had them, period! It's not like they had UT and then the LHN came in and UT backed out. Blame Larry Scott for the demise of the PAC!

Exactly! UT always does what UT wants, everyone else be damned.

What's interesting is they didn't have the vision to understand that when you do what's best both for you and the group, that's when you're actually doing what's best for you long term. They pulled the rug out from under their own feet and now they won't sniff a conference championship for a long long time.

UTs arrogance and self serving ways are what killed the SWC, and essentially the original XII conference, and a version of the PAC that would've been a power to this day. 

• Thumbs Up 1